Abhishek/Parag

Jitesh/Pant

Hardik

Rinku

Harshit

Kuldeep

Bumrah

Mayank

Abhishek used bowl regularly for Srh, he can share the fifth bowling duties with Hardik. Having four left handers in top 7 could be the X factor we need 

15 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Jadeja is more shoo-in than Rinku. Rohit is leading for sure. I want Abhishek Sharma as an opener for sure.

With Rohit, Kohli, Jaddu and Rahul we won't win. Better not to field any young player who gets blamed for loss. 

Possible squad given all we've heard and current form.

Rohit (back up Jaiswal)

Gill

Kohli (back up: SKY)

Pant (back up: Samson)

Parag

Rinku 

Pandya

Kuldeep

Bumrah

Chahal

Mayank (back up: Arshdeep)

That's the 15 member squad. They're possibly a bowler short in which case one of Parag (likely) or Rinku will unfortunately be left out.

Picking Mayank will be a brave call given how our selectors think. But it's a no brainer given his raw pace. 

Chahal - as much as ICF hates him, selectors will pick him ahead of Bishnoi.

Rohit and Kohli will make the squad because of eggsperience quota.

Abhishek unfortunately has to wait.

42 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Possible squad given all we've heard and current form.

Rohit (back up Jaiswal)

Gill

Kohli (back up: SKY)

Pant (back up: Samson)

Parag

Rinku 

Pandya

Kuldeep

Bumrah

Chahal

Mayank (back up: Arshdeep)

That's the 15 member squad. They're possibly a bowler short in which case one of Parag (likely) or Rinku will unfortunately be left out.

Picking Mayank will be a brave call given how our selectors think. But it's a no brainer given his raw pace. 

Chahal - as much as ICF hates him, selectors will pick him ahead of Bishnoi.

Rohit and Kohli will make the squad because of eggsperience quota.

Abhishek unfortunately has to wait.

Top order sucks and even Pant is not the type who can go from first ball. In fact Pant is a much better Test batsman than a T20 one, and I wouldn't pick him for T20s at the moment. But he's still better than KL though. The problem is the top order - Rohit is past it and I can see India losing his wkt cheaply more often than not, and then Kohli will come in and start consolidating. Even Gill is more like Kohli and can't take the bowling apart like Abhishek or Jaiswal. This lineup will leave too much to do to Parag and Rinku, and they will end up as fall guys.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:10 PM, Lord said:

Jaiswal

Abhishek

SKY (c)

Tilak

Rinku

Jitesh

Hardik

Bishnoi

Kuldeep

Bumrah

Mayank

This would be a good 11 in an ideal world only possible change is Pant in for Tilak (given Pant is getting in some good form) and as much as I like Jitesh at 6 or 7 he should be back up wk

I would also love Axar and/or Sundar for batting depth , tho both are not doing so well right now we don't have a choice 

Edited by Sooda
14 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Top order sucks and even Pant is not the type who can go from first ball. In fact Pant is a much better Test batsman than a T20 one, and I wouldn't pick him for T20s at the moment. But he's still better than KL though. The problem is the top order - Rohit is past it and I can see India losing his wkt cheaply more often than not, and then Kohli will come in and start consolidating. Even Gill is more like Kohli and can't take the bowling apart like Abhishek or Jaiswal. This lineup will leave too much to do to Parag and Rinku, and they will end up as fall guys.

Agree with all of that. But I doubt any of that would matter to the selectors. I'd pick Samson and Jitesh in my squad, but at the moment I'm only hoping that at least one of them make it.. Really hope they don't go the KL Rahul route. 

Also Rohit and Kohli are making the squad, so we better deal with the reality than hoping for Abhishek to be picked. 

1 minute ago, bowl_out said:

Agree with all of that. But I doubt any of that would matter to the selectors. I'd pick Samson and Jitesh in my squad, but at the moment I'm only hoping that at least one of them make it.. Really hope they don't go the KL Rahul route. 

Also Rohit and Kohli are making the squad, so we better deal with the reality than hoping for Abhishek to be picked. 

If they pick Rahul again, they don't deserve to win. In fact even picking Rohit and Kohli is enough to finish our chances - can't see either of them playing a match defining innings in a knockout match.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

If they pick Rahul again, they don't deserve to win. In fact even picking Rohit and Kohli is enough to finish our chances - can't see either of them playing a match defining innings in a knockout match.

And to add to all of that, the elephant in the room is Jadeja. Good chance that he will be on the selectors radar for his "all round" ability.

Just now, bowl_out said:

And to add to all of that, the elephant in the room is Jadeja. Good chance that he will be on the selectors radar for his "all round" ability.

If Jadeja is there in the squad, we may as well not send the team. He's worse than a tailender and other than fielding is useless in T20s. He's fit only for Tests and that's where he should be played.

The probable XI:

Rohit (C)

Jaiswal

Kohli

Gill

SKY

Rahul (wk)

Pandya

Jadeja

Bumrah

Siraj

Chahal

Subs: Gaikwad, Samson, Dube, A. Patel

The wishful XI (assuming Pant is not available):

Abhishek Sharma

Jaiswal

Gill (C)

SKY

Parag

Jurel (wk)

Rinku Singh

H Rana

M Yadav

K Yadav

Bumrah

Subs:

Samson, Bishnoi, Dube, Arshdeep

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

Cricbuzz report saying that there is not going to be too many surprises in the World T20 squad.

It's going to be

Jaiswal

Rohit 

Kohli

SKY

Rinku

Pant 

Bumrah

Siraj

Arshdeep

2 spots are left. Most likely going to be Kuldeep and Axar imo with Chahal, Hardik , another pacer and another batter/WK to complete the squad

Edited by Nikhil_cric

Looking to the IPL for T20 WC selections is a double-edged sword. While the league has served as a starting point for a good number of Team India players, it can also cause recency bias from being scheduled right before the WC.

Can you ignore Abhishek Sharma and Parag?  But what if they struggle in alien conditions?

Do you drop Jaiswal based on his IPL struggles so far?

What about Rinku Singh - has he lost his mojo?

Can Pant hold up through IPL *and* WC?

Is Mayank Yadav really ready?

If Chahal keeps the purple cap, do you have to select him?

What if IPL is just entertainment and most international stars (esp bowlers) are not going all out, but will do so in the T20WC?

Overall, do you select based on previous T20I performances or give more weight to current IPL form?

Agarkar and Co will really have to earn their pay cheque this time around.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
  • The title was changed to WT20 India squad announced