Team India needs to use the template set by SRH, KKR or RR

Ultimate_Game

It's clear watching this edition of IPL, and even the teams who are successful at intl level in shorter formats (Eng, Aus) that the successful teams are those which go after the leather right from ball one. Especially in T20s there's no place to play out deliveries to get set, and you would rather have 7 batters who can all get 20 ball 40s than a team where batsmen score 70 ball 100s. That's the reason SRH with Head & Abhishek, RR with Buttler & Jaiswal, and KKR with Sunil Narine & Phil Salt are so successful. Even Delhi are beginning to see the light and they have promoted Jake Fraser-McGurk to open.

Hopefully Team India selectors and Agarkar see the light and select the team with a similar philosophy. And ideally you would want to see lefties at the top of the order. We've players who can do it in Abhishek, Jaiswal, SKY, Rinku, Riyan Parag etc. In fact I would rather take a punt on a newbie like Ashutosh Sharma than go with TTFs. I would rather lose with a team who shows intent than stand up Dad's XI.

P.S. - I don't know how we can leave likes of Abhishek behind and pack our side with likes of Kohli and KL

4 minutes ago, Lord said:

We don't have the talent

Who's gonna replace Russell,Markram, Narine etc

I would go with Jaiswal, Abhishek, SKY, Parag, Pandya, Rinku, Ashutosh, Jitesh/Pant/Samson (pick any one keeper). You need to have intent and back the youngsters. Our WT20 team in 2007 wasn't the most talented. We had likes of Joginder, Uthappa, Yusuf Pathan, Sreesanth, RP Singh etc. in that squad and it beat fancied SA and an all-star Aus. Every time we've backed youngsters we've had great results. Think of Test series in Aus in 2020 - we won with likes of Natarajan, Shardul Thakur, Washington Sundar, Siraj etc.

In India if someone is playing at the top level, they're talented enough. Go with in-form players and back them. You don't need technique and Tests type of talent in T20s. But if we keep being conservative, we'll never win anything.

India cannot compete on power hitting. With due respect to their fans.... the Rinku and Ashutosh types will be exposed under international attacks in international play.

India can compete on bowling - If Mayank is fit then an attack of Bumrah, Mayank, Natarajan/Arshdeep/Akashdeep + 2 spinners can limit the opposition. Siraj and Kuldeep types are wildcards.  With some luck who knows.......

They are playing like that cause the impact sub is giving them confidence to bat like that with an extra batsman + decent foreign allrounders. Even likes of Kohli lokesh and Rohit are batting at higher strike rates than they have in years. I doubt they will be batting with same confidence with out of form pandya at 6, jadeja at 7 and arshdeep (hasnt even faced single ball in ipl) batting at 8.

Ultimately India has struggled to produce all rounders. every one they invested has turned out to be a disappointment in white ball cricket, Pandya, Jadeja, washington sundar, axar patel. The best white ball all rounder where accidental like Irfan Pathan and Yuvraj who got picked for one aspect and ended up being  good enough at the other.

1 hour ago, TellTheTruth said:

They are playing like that cause the impact sub is giving them confidence to bat like that with an extra batsman + decent foreign allrounders. Even likes of Kohli lokesh and Rohit are batting at higher strike rates than they have in years. I doubt they will be batting with same confidence with out of form pandya at 6, jadeja at 7 and arshdeep (hasnt even faced single ball in ipl) batting at 8.

Kohli scored the slowest 100 ever in IPL history... if that's batting faster, I doubt what he would do otherwise. Also, likes of Kohli and KL would play the same way even if we had batsmen till 11. They're selfish and don't really play for the team. They want their 50s, 100s and stats. They couldn't care less what happens to the team - impact player or not. Why do you think RCB ended up with 180/3 instead of say 200/7? Coz our superstars crave 100s and couldn't care less what the end result is. We saw the same theme in the recent world cup where KL was disappointed when his winning shot against Aus went for 6 instead of 4 as he couldn't get to 100. And we all saw how many times Kohli tried his best to get to a 100 - sometimes by refusing 1s or trying to go 6 to ensure he gets to a 100 and the team result was secondary.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Team India may follow the RCB template.

They've been doing that for more than a decade now... top heavy, full of consolidators and innings builders/anchors, lower order can't hold a bat, batting ends at 5, snail-paced 100s are celebrated by the team and fans :sad_smile:

37 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Team India may follow the RCB template.

What template. They are essentially the same side.  As usual 3 quick wickets. Ultra Consolidation due to long tail. Then right we need to accelerate they get out. Tail will implode.

50 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Kohli scored the slowest 100 ever in IPL history... if that's batting faster, I doubt what he would do otherwise. Also, likes of Kohli and KL would play the same way even if we had batsmen till 11. They're selfish and don't really play for the team. They want their 50s, 100s and stats. They couldn't care less what happens to the team - impact player or not. Why do you think RCB ended up with 180/3 instead of say 200/7? Coz our superstars crave 100s and couldn't care less what the end result is. We saw the same theme in the recent world cup where KL was disappointed when his winning shot against Aus went for 6 instead of 4 as he couldn't get to 100. And we all saw how many times Kohli tried his best to get to a 100 - sometimes by refusing 1s or trying to go 6 to ensure he gets to a 100 and the team result was secondary.

I agree with all this about IPL stars being selfish but they are still batting faster then they have been in past IPLs. Something is clearly wrong in the current IPL In how much batting is dominating. Chris Gayle only had one season in IPL where he had a strike rate over 165, now it seems like every team has multiple Batsman with strike rates over 180 and averages above 30. The Impact sub is clearly tilted things too far in favor of Batting.

Edited by TellTheTruth

1 hour ago, TellTheTruth said:

I agree with all this about IPL stars being selfish but they are still batting faster then they have been in past IPLs. Something is clearly wrong in the current IPL In how much batting is dominating. Chris Gayle only had one season in IPL where he had a strike rate over 165, now it seems like every team has multiple Batsman with strike rates over 180 and averages above 30. The Impact sub is clearly tilted things too far in favor of Batting.

Wanting to hit six is one thing. But actually hitting is another thing.