Jane Mcgrath, wife of Pigeon Dies of cancer

Unfortunately, this comes on the back of a decade that has seen some remarkable advancements in the management of breast cancer, with several new and powerful agents prolonging the lives of women. Women in most western nations now are more likely to survive than die if they develop breast cancer. Apart from better treatment, this is built on the back of regular mammography screening that is offered to older women. In the UK, this is limited to the over-50s. This means that when breast cancer does develop in younger women, it is likely to be picked up late. That's what happened in Jane McGrath's case. Glenn McGrath's fellow Aussie, Kylie Minogue was luckier. Although she was in her 30s when the cancer developed, she was diagnosed early. I remember reading an interview Jane gave, along with pigeon to an Aussie newspaper. She was asked how she picked up her cancer. She said " I felt this lump and showed it to Glenn. You know how men are. He said, I think everything looks fine. But I couldn't put it out of my mind, and saw the doctor in due course". The McGrath foundation, started to help women like herself, lives on after Jane. She was a remarkable woman, married to a remarkable man, who carried the inutterable fear that he would lose the love of his life to cancer in his heart for the best part of a decade, and yet found the strength of character to make a mockery of the defensive techniques of batsmen after batsmen the world over.