The Vegetarians/Vegans of ICF

Cricketics

There is no health advantage or disadvantage for the average person in either diets as long as you eat things in moderation and have a reasonably active lifestyle. Sure if you are feasting on a steak and burger everyday, it's a problem. Or if you are into a very heavy weight training, you will need additional protein supplements as a vegetarian. For the average person, either diet is good enough and unlike the vegetarian concern about protein, it's Vitamin B12 that they should think more about how to get. Typical vegetarian food has a good amount of protein for the average person, but no B12.
I have heard that cod liver (fish) oil is another substance which is required but not found appropriately in vegetarian diets. Is that accurate?

I have heard that cod liver (fish) oil is another substance which is required but not found appropriately in vegetarian diets. Is that accurate?
Yeah, Omega 3 fatty acids, which are found in fish like Salmon. As far as I know, the only way to get this is through supplements. Iron is also an issue to an extent, but can be accounted for by increasing the intake of green leafy vegetables like spinach. However, one has to take care to add lime or some source of Vitamin C with it to enable the absorption of the Iron.

Yeah, Omega 3 fatty acids, which are found in fish like Salmon. As far as I know, the only way to get this is through supplements. Iron is also an issue to an extent, but can be accounted for by increasing the intake of green leafy vegetables like spinach. However, one has to take care to add lime or some source of Vitamin C with it to enable the absorption of the Iron.
There is an iron supplement called Biotin available on the counter in most outlets

There is an iron supplement called Biotin available on the counter in most outlets
Yeah, there are supplements for practically everything but the tricky thing about them is not everything gets absorbed by the body as readily. Iron is specially absorbed at a very low rate and is absorbed much better from animal sources than vegetarian sources. Vitamin C helps in the absorption of Iron, so is recommended to be added to vegetarian sources of Iron.

Cricketics's gonna get a shocker when he sees what has become of his thread. :phehehe:
:cantstop: It's all good. Can't have thread on everything so it's fine people are sharing some useful info with others even thought it might go off topic. Atleast some nice sense making things are being discussed. So all good.

:cantstop: It's all good. Can't have thread on everything so it's fine people are sharing some useful info with others even thought it might go off topic. Atleast some nice sense making things are being discussed. So all good.
Another weak veggie :thumpdown:

That's Vitamin D as far as I know.
Yes. Sun exposure is for Vitamin D. Milk is fortified with it. Since it is a fat-soluble vitamin, you are probably better off with 2% or whole. Vit B12 or cobalamin may be obtained from dairy or eggs, if you're not a meat-eater. Also, many vegetarian foods (esp. cereals) are fortified with it. Speaking as a biochemistry teacher, here is what I have say about milk and cancer: the scientific consensus (with all due respect to anecdotes, google searches showing cancer links and The China Study) is simply this: (1) there is a negative relationship between dairy intake and risk for colorectal cancer, i.e., more milk, less colorectal cancer. (2) there is a positive relationship between high calcium intake (no matter the source) and risk for prostate cancer, i.e., excess calcium (not necessarily), more prostate cancer. If anyone is interested in a critique of the China Study, here it is: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/ It's too long to post here, but is a great read.

Flax seeds and walnuts are great sources of Omega-3-fatty acids. On iron and Vit C ... not that you needed my affirmation, but yes ... it is established that Vit C increases iron bioavailability. Beans and raisins are good sources of iron, too. One has to be careful, however, to not overdo iron intake - may cause liver damage.