Tour Review : Overall a satisfying tour

King

The last test match didn't go as per plans but overall a good tour. A loss in Twenty20 was berable as India dominated both in ODIs and test matches. Wonder when India last won both ODI and test series? I can't even remember when India last won a ODI series in New Zealand. India lacked a bit in bowling and in particular fast bowling department but the wily old timers made it a very satisfying series. It was great to see Gambhir, Rahul, Tendulkar, Laxman, Dhoni, Zaheer, Raina do extremely well. Sehwag was fantastic during the ODIs and showed a bit of his brilliance in test matches. Glad to have seen this Indian team live in action. Perhaps the younger brigade can take a leaf out of the seniors and understand how to acclimatise overseas. The first three balls of the tour was hit for three sixes and that will stay in my memory for a very long time to come. New Zealand will be a team to beat in about 4 years. Batting in particular can do wonders with naturally aggressive players that are very talented. NZ need to find some good bowlers soon to compliment their capable batting.

Yeah, the tour saw some terrific performances by the Indian batting line up in both formats of the game. Then there were Zaheer and Harbhajan in the bowling department. But NZ were no pushovers. They have the core to become a very good side in the future. The likes of Flynn, Ryder, and Guptill certainly can become more than handy cricketers. Ross Taylor looks like someone who has picked up the nuiances of test and international cricket in a very short time and if the others can replicate his success more substantially, NZ will have a very strong batting order in 2 years time. They showed a lot of character at Napier and in the second innings at Wellington as a collective batting unit. Bowling seems to be a worry for them though. Martin, though steady, has lost the extra zing he had a couple of years back and the lack of genuine strike bowler shows when the opposition gets on top and strings together a partnership. Vettori has become at best a steady bowling option without much venom and looking into the immediate future NZ should look to play Patel on a more consistent basis. He gets good drift and turn and can only improve. Perhaps when there top 5 is more settled in international cricket they will exchange Franklin for Patel - that will certainly make them a more well rounded squad.

Yes indeed, satisfying tour. Newzealand selectors should keep Flynn, Guptill, Ross, Ryder always in the 14. These is their batting core. Then they have Elliot, I liked his technique, he should be number 6. Even Broom was good. McIntosh has issues with technique. Oram will be back so they wil have number 7 who is world class. They have talented core for sure. Three years from now they can become world class unit in batting department if they keep the core, give them full support. They need bowlers, if Bond can come back, that will be great. Martin is steady, Southee can only improve. Patel looked good, needs more backing.Butler was decent, had good series against Australia and India whenever he played. And Kyle Mills should be there always.

NZ need to replace Mcintosh, he looked poor out there, didn't have a clue most of the time. Franklin was ok towards the end of the series, but I don't think he is that good, hopefully Oram will be back to replace him Good tour for India, we had points where everyone in the team brought something beneficial to the team. Overall a great team effort

it was a good tour because we won our 1st one day series and a test series after 41 years.It is average in the sense that we have actually slipped a point in the test rankings .If we are to become the no 1 then we have to win tests where we have a very good chance and not settle for draws.

Yes, definitely a good tour for India. Ravi - to your question: I think commentators were saying India has NEVER before won a Test and ODI series together in an Away series (outside the subcontinent). So, this is a FIRST! Can we do this in SA or Aus going forward? That will be the ultimate thing.

It was a great tour from the hammering we gave to the black caps in the ODIs to the grinding dismantling in the tests. What really stuck me was how appreciative, and respectful other fans are of guys like Sachin/Sehwag/Dravid. It's like the New Zealand fans didn't mind being beat because they were treated to some wonderful batting by guys like Sachin. Really it's such a priviledge to have this legend of a cricketer in our team representing India on away tours. This team has been ready to take the next step for a while now. We're still one more very good fast bowler away from being a top notch team in all conditions and countries. In other words we're all waiting for Atul Sharma!!! lol!

This whole series was extremely entertaining. I'll never forget coming home from coop, waiting only an hour or so for the games to begin. Great timings, great Cricket. A gorgeous 160 from Tendulkar sealed the deal for me. Thank you to team India for providing brilliant moments. God Bless!

Yes, definitely a good tour for India. Ravi - to your question: I think commentators were saying India has NEVER before won a Test and ODI series together in an Away series (outside the subcontinent). So, this is a FIRST! Can we do this in SA or Aus going forward? That will be the ultimate thing.
Not a first. I remember India beating Pakistan 3-2 in ODIs and 2-1 in test series in 2004. That must have been the first time and this is the second time in about 4 years. That speaks volumes of the consistency this group of cricketers are showing. Sehwag was there then so was Rahul Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman. Chopra used to open the inning then and Yuvraj as well as Parthiv Patel had a hit at the top then. The other stand out performers in that team were Balaji and Irfan. They both weren't in the test team in NZ. Indian batting has been the same and has been consistent as ever but the bowling line up changes once every two years.

most surprising factor on this tour was Gambhir's ability to play test innings the way he did. Two test centuries with one very very patient one. I would have expected him to excel in ODIs or 20/20 but the way he played test inning was a defining one for him and for us.. he put a very high price on his wicket.. even when he made mistakes, he was mad .. Most others played upto or below potential.. Gambhir was stand out.. As far as results are concerned, 2-0 would have been better..