Dhoni and Harbhajan skip Padma shri award function

SachDan

Of course it is the issue. I respect those people much more who took to streets protesting against Bush than those who "respected" his presidency. As I said this blind paying of dues to an office rather than the person occupying it is nothing short of sycophancy. And so what if the players don't have respect for the awards? So what if they value spending time with their family more or going to South Africa to do actual work rather than spend time sitting in some stupid function, listening to some dumb speeches by incompetent fools. They did not apply for the award - they were given the award and they accepted it. So what if they did not attend some farcical ceremony for it's felicitation? Heck, Sartre actually declined the Nobel Prize and is still considered one of the best thinker, writer and philosopher of the last century even though he said in as many words that he respected the institution felicitating him. I am not comparing Sartre to Dhoni or Harbhajan but making a broader point that these things are best left to the individual according to his priorities rather than making it a part of some false show of patriotism or some false pretense of respect. Would it have been any better if they actually went their against their will? Would that have satisfied the desire for respect and patriotism that posters here are baying for?
Grigori Perelman declined the fields medal that was offered to him after solving Poincare's conjecture. He declined to accept it, and refused to show up at the meeting (and didn't). So if Harbhajan or Dhoni have a problem with them getting the award for namesake and not really deserving it OR if they have a problem with Pratibha Patil, have the balls to say that you don't want the award. They didn't even need to state a reason. When you say you're going to accept the award, have the graciousness to come and pick up the damn thing.
Grigori Perelman declined the fields medal that was offered to him after solving Poincare's conjecture. He declined to accept it' date=' and refused to show up at the meeting (and didn't). So if Harbhajan or Dhoni have a problem with them getting the award for namesake and not really deserving it OR if they have a problem with Pratibha Patil, have the balls to say that you don't want the award. They didn't even need to state a reason. When you say you're going to accept the award, have the graciousness to come and pick up the damn thing.[/quote'] Maybe they don't feel as strongly about it to actually decline the award. Maybe they're attitude is more of indifference, fine you want to award me go ahead, but don't expect me to ignore family or my job(which actually got them the award in the first place) to attend some mundane speeches and produce fake smiles. I don't see anything wrong with this attitude as well.

Atleast Bhajji has the decency to clarify n issue a satement,dhoni doesnt even bother about that.

dhoni and bhajji shud not have done this....respecting the money from ads and putting aside an invaluable award.....they shud be penalised by doing that....there is a limit for everything...why hype someone to such an extent that he forgets that his feet are still touching the ground....dhoni has some serious attitude problems....and BHAJJI KO TOH MAANO BHOOLNE KI BIMARI HAI.....rite :haha: I think they shud have given to either The boxers or the gold medalist...Abhinav Bindra for his heroics in the Olympics JURY TOOK A WRONG STEP :((
u r rite,first bunking a test series,then threatening to resign over team selection n now this,n no clarifications at all
the criticism is not justified
why? They have insulted one of the highest awards of the country. Atleast they could have said they do not want it if there was a strong reason. This is just insulting the prestige of the President and therefore the country, to not show up to receive the award.
Maybe they don't feel as strongly about it to actually decline the award. Maybe they're attitude is more of indifference' date=' fine you want to award me go ahead, but don't expect me to ignore family or my job(which actually got them the award in the first place) to attend some mundane speeches and produce fake smiles. I don't see anything wrong with this attitude as well.[/quote'] If the attitude is of indifference, it is better for the gentlemen in question to have rejected the award, don't you think? 2 guys went to the Olympics representing India in a sport that you wouldn't associate with India in your wildest dreams, and actually did really really well. Those guys deserve it more - no? So if your feeling is of indifference, I'd still say reject the award. Nevertheless, can't change what happened.
If the attitude is of indifference' date=' it is better for the gentlemen in question to have rejected the award, don't you think? 2 guys went to the Olympics representing India in a sport that you wouldn't associate with India in your wildest dreams, and actually did really really well. Those guys deserve it more - no? So if your feeling is of indifference, I'd still say reject the award. Nevertheless, can't change what happened.[/quote'] Sure, probably those Olympic medalists deserved it more. But an attitude of indifference implies that they accepted the award fine, but cannot be bothered enough to attend a ceremony for it at the expense of family or work. As far as the recepients are concerned, I don't know why people are attaching so much credibility to these awards where Aishwarya Rai and Akshay Kumar were the recepients. They would not even make the top 100 actors India has produced.

Its not equivalent salil (the amits example). This is not pratibha patil the person that was insulted. Maybe that can be excused on an individual basis. This insult is beyond and above that - the Padma Shri is a prestigious award in the country. That is why there is some outrage that MSD and HS have been so callous. I do agree, the people who wanted to give it to MSD and HS made the mistake. They dont deserve this award if they are so indifferent.

hu hahaah. You guys are taking this award drama seriously?? This awards can be sold by gov. I dont have any respect for this awards. By the way i am anti establishment person when it comes to Indinan government. I hate such a jerk people ruling the great country.... God bless india.