Star News - Dressing room ka drama

Guest gaurav_indian

Rohit is more flexible than Sehwag. Same discussion was going on between Harsha and a commie. Akram felt Sehwag must open. But Harsha raised a valid point. When both are available who would be the best no.5. ? Sehwag must open with Gambhir as Rohit can be equally devastating at any place. Otherwise send Rohit at 3.

Rohit cant be equally devastating at any place. He doesnt have the power to clear the ground often , and the shots that clear the infeild in the powerplay overs would easily go to one of the feilders (and thats the way he almost always gets himself out). Sehwag has more raw power and better gift of timing and unorthodoxy than rohit. More suited for the middle order. But than his impact at the top is almost fatalistic for the opposition. Will rohit sharma be able to match that at the top ?

The Times Of India carries a lot of juice on this 'story' today. They say that Veeru has supposedly said that he is NOT an opener. I am quoting TOI here: "Sehwag had recently made statements about him not being an opening batsman and Rohit's performance certainly does make the captain's job a bit easier if Sehwag, on his return, is still reluctant to open" Quoting Dhoni on Sehwag in the same article now: "I said before, i don't know when he will get fit and whether he is a certainty once he gets fit, I don't know. We'll have to wait and see how the team is shaping up" So it does seem like a batting order issue, if Veeru shows reluctance, his place might be in jeopardy.

Dhoni, Viru in cold war? London: No one’s talking about it, the team management says ‘shhhs’ when asked about it and the players too have fingers on their lips, but reports about tension between Indian captain MS Dhoni and vice-captain Virender Sehwag are fast threatening to undermine India’s defence of the ICC World Twenty20 Cup, currently underway in England. While neither protagonist in the drama is willing to come on record and clear the air, Dhoni’s pregnant responses after India’s ninewicket win in their warm-up game against archrivals Pakistan was a massive giveaway. Dhoni dithers on Viru London: Is there a wavelength mismatch between Indian skipper M S Dhoni and his deputy, Virender Sehwag? There may not be clear pointers to this rift yet, but there certainly are enough straws in the wind. After Rohit Sharma’s match-winning 80 against Pakistan in the second warmup match here, and the Mumbai batsman’s second impressive innings as an opener (he had scored 36 against New Zealand in the first warm-up match), Dhoni addressed a packed and hungry media gathering, and expectantly there were questions about Rohit continuing as an opener and Sehwag’s batting position if and when he recovers from his shoulder injury. Every question on Sehwag and his fitness or availability was treated with disdain. “I don’t want to make any comment about it,†was Dhoni’s response to questions about his deputy’s fitness. “May be you should ask the physio to issue a press release,†the skipper added, providing more grist to the rumour mills. “It is always good to have a problem of plenty and it gives us options for the opening slot,†Dhoni said. Sehwag had recently made statements about him not being an opening batsman and Rohit’s performance certainly does make the captain’s job a bit easier if Sehwag, on his return, is still reluctant to open. So what happens when Sehwag returns? “It’s tough for me to comment on that. All I can say is I’m glad to have talented players who are performing in my side,†Dhoni stressed. So how long will it take for Sehwag to get fit? “It’s a bit of a gamble with injuries. May be he will get fit for the game against Bangladesh (June 6) or against Ireland (June 10). I’m not really sure about it,†he said, advertising his disinterest. Will the cold war mean that Sehwag has lost his place in the playing XI for good in this tourney? Is he a certainty in the team when he returns? “I said before, I don’t know when he will get fit. And whether he is a certainty once he gets fit, I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see how the team is shaping up.†http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOIBG/2009/06/05&PageLabel=1&EntityId=Ar00108&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T -- This news came on the front page of today's TOI

Will the cold war mean that Sehwag has lost his place in the playing XI for good in this tourney? Is he a certainty in the team when he returns? “I said before' date=' I don’t know when he will get fit. [b']And whether he is a certainty once he gets fit, I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see how the team is shaping up.â€
WTF?