Umar Akmal is a potential batting great

he is not even fit to carry drinks for Raina leave apart replacing him in the team.. Raina has already turning into a world-class player while Crapmal is only a chaprachi class cricketer right now :giggle:
hmmmmm, was that serious??? how you can turn into a world class playe when you ae not even playing test cricket?? youe only centuries in ODI's are agaisnt minnowss from 70+ odi's...

If Umar wants to make any serious impact in Test cricket, he has to control his adrenalin rush. He has gotten out too many times after being set (infact this is the 4th time in 4 attempts) to call this a brain f@rt. A great talent though, but unless his talent is married with temperament, Umar will only be good for little cameos. Given the poverty in Pakistan's batting lineup, cameos wont cut it.

I think he just could not deal with the pressure today especially given that he was fast running out of partners. He is just a boy after all' date=' he will learn with experience.[/quote'] He has played a lot of cameos that could win games in T20 cricket. Test cricket is as much about batting time as scoring runs. Its criminal in these conditions for a set batsman to throw his wicket away. I can understand an edge to the slips, but not an over ambitious lofted off drive that is risky even in T20 cricket.

On the contrary, I think his idea was right. Ponting had brought the field up after 4 deliveries and he wanted to hit over the top for a boundary - yeah he played it wrong and messed up, but his intention was to score quickly because Asif, Gul, and Kaneria are all number 11s anyway. He was not just throwing his bat at everything - his strike rate was around 60 and defended well on a number of occasions.

He definitely has areas to improve, but with his current skills /talent - he could have scored more than what he has. For the reasons (some that are not in his control): In a team environment, overall result is not in your control, it is affected +ively or -ively by the team you are playing along with, the kind of situation you land up into because of (in)ability of your team mates, guided appropriately by your seniors. E.g. I doubt whether any one would disagree that Tendulkar would have ended up scoring more than what he actually did in his initial parts of career. And unfortunately, IMO- his future will be more controlled by such factors ( team's situation and quality of leadership/guideance from seniors) than his individual talent alone.

To sum it up - individuals are only a face ( or carrier) of efforts of a bigger group of people/system (support staff). Even in an individual sport - federer wouldnt be 'federer' had he not have enough /quality support staff. And yes, there are exceptional individuals who manage to minimize the role/affect of system/support environment and be able to compete with those who have better support. Few of such examples - Prakash Padukone, Sachin himself (I would say he had more support than Prakash) - these are the true leaders..Who instead of being affected by the system - push the system out of comfort zones and make them improve.