Lets be patient with Mishra

kabira

Unlike our deluded cricket fans. I hope selectors and team have patience with him. He did not take a wicket in this innings. I personally felt he bowled some wicket taking deliveries. He should have got Kallis LBW, it was plumb in front. Dhoni and our think tank should sit down with him and explain him that he needs to be patient and not try to take wickets on every delivery. Leg Spinners set a batsman. He was bowling 2-3 good deliveries every over, in lacked consistency, hallmark of Warne and Kumble. I hope he is not dropped and goes back to Wilderness. I will be highly disappointed if that happens. I hope Srikanth and Dhoni use some common sense.

Exactly. The guy kept beating Amla. Infact I had already written in match thread that I would be really frustrated if Amla goes past 50 or manages to make 50. He was kept wondering in intital part of his innings, but he was in the end good enough player to manage and build a big score. Mishra kept giving the ball some air, and looking for wickets. He was unlucky. Should have gotten some wickets. But our Indian Janta on ICF doesn't follow the game, and early in the morning they check the bowling stats and then they come and whine about a player that he hasn't gotten any wickets etc.

Exactly. The guy kept beating Amla. Infact I had already written in match thread that I would be really frustrated if Amla goes past 50 or manages to make 50. He was kept wondering in intital part of his innings, but he was in the end good enough player to manage and build a big score. Mishra kept giving the ball some air, and looking for wickets. He was unlucky. Should have gotten some wickets. But our Indian Janta on ICF doesn't follow the game, and early in the morning they check the bowling stats and then they come and whine about a player that he hasn't gotten any wickets etc.
He still didn't pick up a wicket, did he? I think we all care about stats, if Mishra keeps getting unlucky and you keep praising him, what will his stats end up at?

This is like a Sales Team 1 Salesman explains everything to the customer ( reads the script and explains everything ), customer comes back and impressed by the 1st salesman explanation simply buys it from another who wasn't doing a lot to get the sales anyway 1st Salesman figures are 0 and he tells his Boss that he got unlucky, the boss says 1) Atleast WE got the Sale but someone else took it 2) If you do the right things, then the Sale will come to you 3) If you keep getting unlucky, then there is something wrong - you need to throw one out there to close the deal

I agree with Rajiv. This is test match level. He should already have worked out the setting the batsman stuff at Ranji level or Class A matches. You can't afford 2-3 bad matches - it could cost India a series or 2. Once that happens, you're not coming back. Unfortunately, Harbhajan and Ishant pretty much did the same thing - run in and bowl. Didnt seem like there was a plan - for any batsman.

Agree with Kabira... Mishra needs to be persisted with... He was spinning the ball more than Bhajji
...but Bhajji was [keyword]PHAAASTERRR[/keyword] than Mishy :((
Agree with Kabira... Mishra needs to be persisted with... He was spinning the ball more than Bhajji
Ofcourse, Bhaji is a off-spinner and usually doesnt get that prodigious turn anyways whereas Mishra is a leg wrist spinner. Mishra has been good and he brings variety to the bowling attack as leggie. He had a good game in Mohali and should perform well in the future. He just requires the confidence and self belief when one sees him bowl. He deserves a longer run with the team because of his variety. Apart from Chawla, are there any other good leg spinners in the domestic scene? Lots of off-spinners and slow left arm orthodox in first class ala Jadeja, Abdullah, Harmeet, etc. There is one name that needs mentioning is Powar aka the Whale. He gets enormous spin but I'm not sure the selectors have him in the radar. One thing that goes against him is the assumption that his weight is going to cost the team in the field.

Mishra was absolutely average over 2 days. Forget about beating the bat. A leg spinner pitching the ball on or outside the off stump of a right handed batsman is going to beat the bat a few times - but to no avail. In a Test match, that is a rubbish line to bowl. And Amla was not going to get out unless he was trying to slog the ball to the leg side. That is the whole point about what is wrong with Mishra. He was bowling flat and bowling defensively. The few times that he did give the ball air was when he bowled on the off side. That is just not on.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I dont think its either the talent or the mindset of Mishra thats the problem. Its the fact that he holds the ball quite far back in his hands. An obvious result of this is that the ball has quite a bit of sidespin without much topspin. All this at quite a slow pace. It was reasonably okay this match because the pitch took a lot of turn for such bowlers and as long as Mishra kept firing it in he was troubling the batsmen to some extent, but if he wants to become a better bowler he should either get that sorted or become about half a meter taller, whichever comes first.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I dont think its either the talent or the mindset of Mishra thats the problem. Its the fact that he holds the ball quite far back in his hands. An obvious result of this is that the ball has quite a bit of sidespin without much topspin. All this at quite a slow pace. It was reasonably okay this match because the pitch took a lot of turn for such bowlers and as long as Mishra kept firing it in he was troubling the batsmen to some extent' date=' but if he wants to become a better bowler he should either get that sorted or become about half a meter taller, whichever comes first.[/quote'] I am sorry I am going to have to disagree with this. How far nestled into the palm a leg spinner can hold the ball is directly proportional how long and strong his fingers are and how large his hand is. For somebody like Mishra that is not a great deal. His hands, for sure, cannot completely envelop the ball. That need not be a disadvantage in itself. The problem is with his approach, his ball release and the point of the crease at which he happens to deliver the ball from. All of it is defensive. So, no wonder he is totally a defensive bowler. Both Mishra and Piyush Chawla have more chances of picking up wickets with their googly rather than their leg break! That says a lot about their bowling style. One more thing. Mishra is definitely better than Chawla as a leg spinner.
Mishra bowled like a very early version of Stuart MacGill. Instead of concentrating on variations and subtleties' date=' he dwelled on ripping the ball and making it turn as much as possible leading to predictable loop(landing on or outside off stump) and turn.[/quote'] Stuart Macgill was probably the only leg spinner who at times could turn the ball more than Warne. So, in that respect, the comparison does not really gel well. And Macgill rarely if ever attacked the off stump. Middle and leg was his domain for the most part. If he pitched it on or outside off stump, chances were that it would be called a wide :)