Should Rahul Dravid retire now???

The thing that I could never understand is how a player like RD who has played 300+ odis and 10K+ runs does not know to rotate strike ... infact he simply doesnt even attempt to do that.
Yes, thats the part he MUST fix in second session. Take a single in each over (or each alternate over) at least.
The thing that I could never understand is how a player like RD who has played 300+ odis and 10K+ runs does not know to rotate strike ... infact he simply doesnt even attempt to do that.
common man i expect better from you, this guy is one of the best in forming partnerships and you say he cant rotate strike.We need to give him time to get his rhythm back.
It's funny how people start bringing names like pujara' date=' vijay etc to replace him. On a day time, it's funny to read, at this time around 2 am, it's freakin irritating to see something rite such truck load of dunk about [b']WALL.
The wall by definition "stalls" - people forgot the definition :cantstop: But still I do agree with Bossbhai on 2nd session he should rotate strike a bit better.
It's funny how people start bringing names like pujara' date=' vijay etc to replace him. On a day time, it's funny to read, at this time around 2 am, it's freakin irritating to see truck load of crap written about WALL.[/quote'] http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28114.html?class=1;spanmin1=1+Jan+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting Since 2007, (last 4 years). 39 tests, 2516 @ 40.... Tell me which world beating team has given any priveleage to a player to continue at no.3 despite those stats... How dare one critque the elephant in the room right? Exclude Bangbros, and the average becomes 38.33 from 35 tests, in the last 3 years and 10 months to be precise... If that's "stuff of legend", then I am Imran Khan.
http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28114.html?class=1;spanmin1=1+Jan+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting Since 2007, (last 4 years). 39 tests, 2516 @ 40.... Tell me which world beating team has given any priveleage to a player to continue at no.3 despite those stats... How dare one critque the elephant in the room right? Exclude Bangbros, and the average becomes 38.33 from 35 tests, in the last 3 years and 10 months to be precise... If that's "stuff of legend", then I am Imran Khan.
Main issue is whom do you have on the bench. People will say Pujara on the basis of that one good knock on the low bounce pitch. For all the great history of Indian batsmen we know how they FTBs exposed in alien conditions. Virat Kohli, same. Rohit Sharma, same. So, you are basically stuck with Dravid whatever his SR be and if he is averaging around 40 or so.

ya you want to fill the whole team for the south africa tour with youngsters.. fill it then. Pujara, Vijay all of them bring it. Drop Gambhir also.. Take pujara and vijay and win the series in south africa.. Dravid is the still a must wanted player in any team in test cricket. And in South Africa he would be the most key player. Yes he hasn't been great as he was, he has had some decline, but then he still good enough to be on team. He has had his fair share of unlucky decisions too. And I will repeat it, we would need him in South Africa.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28114.html?class=1;spanmin1=1+Jan+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting Since 2007, (last 4 years). 39 tests, 2516 @ 40.... Tell me which world beating team has given any priveleage to a player to continue at no.3 despite those stats... How dare one critque the elephant in the room right? Exclude Bangbros, and the average becomes 38.33 from 35 tests, in the last 3 years and 10 months to be precise... If that's "stuff of legend", then I am Imran Khan.
:finger: Check ponting's stat in the same period, it isn't too different...!

This is the problem with blind fans, they simply refuse the see the light. To 'Precambrian': You have made a slight error. Dravid started struggling since the 2006 Test series in S.A (Test cricket). Let's see how much he averages since then - Innings - 74, Runs - 2568, Ave - 38.90, 100's - 6, SR - 42.75 Link: http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28114.html?class=1;spanmin1=01+Oct+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Main issue is whom do you have on the bench. People will say Pujara on the basis of that one good knock on the low bounce pitch. For all the great history of Indian batsmen we know how they FTBs exposed in alien conditions. Virat Kohli' date=' same. Rohit Sharma, same. So, you are basically stuck with Dravid whatever his SR be and if he is averaging around 40 or so.[/quote'] We have Raina, Pujara, Vijay, Badri, Rahane etc... all waiting for an opportunity.. Badri may have dropped out of the race, but we also have emerging talents like Kohli etc too... They all deserve a chance to make a mark. When Dravid made his debut in England, he had almost exactly similar record as a Rahane or a Pujara. I am not saying the replacements will start firing from Day one. But they definitely seem to be a better bet than an unfiring Dravid. Also this is the best time to blood a youngster in Dravid's place particularly because the rest of the batting lineup is strong enough to cushion even if the move is not successful. They have put up with a mediocre Dravid for almost 4 years, they surely can put up with a budding youngster or two till Sachin, Lax, Veeru etc are firing...
ya you want to fill the whole team for the south africa tour with youngsters.. fill it then. Pujara, Vijay all of them bring it. Drop Gambhir also.. Take pujara and vijay and win the series in south africa.. Dravid is the still a must wanted player in any team in test cricket. And in South Africa he would be the most key player. Yes he hasn't been great as he was, he has had some decline, but then he still good enough to be on team. He has had his fair share of unlucky decisions too. And I will repeat it, we would need him in South Africa.
BS, check out his record in SA>.. Check also his record when we toured there last time... Dravid is OVERRATED when it comes to performances in SA. I'd take a greenhorn over him anyday in present form to SA, considering historically its where he has struggled ALSO>
And in South Africa he would be the most key player. And I will repeat it' date=' we would need him in South Africa.[/quote'] The exact same thing was said by almost all his fans when he was first dropped from ODI's before the 2008 Tour to Australia, when he was struggling for runs. On how he was going to be the main stay on the difficult pitches of Australia where all the other FTB's will falter. We know what happened. At present form I can guarantee you Dravid will be a flop of epic proportions in S.A.
:finger: Check ponting's stat in the same period' date=' it isn't too different...![/quote'] Why should I be bothered about Ponting? He is not relevant here. Although for sake of discussion, Ponting has clung on because he is the captain and still among the better bats for Australia, more like Aus not having choices to replace him.
This is the problem with blind fans, they simply refuse the see the light. To 'Precambrian': You have made a slight error. Dravid started struggling since the 2006 Test series in S.A (Test cricket). Let's see how much he averages since then - Innings - 74, Runs - 2568, Ave - 38.90, 100's - 6, SR - 42.75 Link: http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/28114.html?class=1;spanmin1=01+Oct+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting
It's not error. I took from a different date. Thanks for the input anyways. Yes, I do agree SA series started his downfall. I thought Bang series would be kind of a turnaround. Seems like he flattered to decieve. Good lord the torture continues still..