Should Rahul Dravid retire now???

Guest Gunner
About RD gunner:(( Can't you guys just shut up and let the man play out his last few series with the dignity he deserves.He is in form and enjoying his cricket.He has already announced his retirement from other forms.He only plays one form and and works harder to prepare for it ...more than anyone else out there.He is also one of the fittest...so what is the problem?
beetle, think about it like this. When you drive a car, do you wait till the last drop of fuel is exhausted before you refuel or do you do it before? I think this analogy is suitable for a cricketer too, sure RSD has a few more runs but that doesn't mean we have to wait till the last run is squeezed out. Even from that perspective I think this tour has taken everything from him which he can give.
Guest Gunner
^^ All the buddha brigade should retire. That includes Shastri, Gavaskar and Arun Lal as well.
Correct, it is time for the set up to change in Indian cricket. However we all know it won't happen.
This the best time for him to retire. He's not chasing glory and records like few other players..He's done enough for Indian cricket. Don't wan the present effing team management and that joke of a captain and team to rely on him and piggyback him. He's been overused by the captain and team management. He should retire and take rest..I can understand Indian cricket needs him now more than any other player, but for his sake, I want him to retire and let the glory hunters and record chasers to take some effing responsibilities and help in shaoe the youngsters..If Dravid is there, everybody will leave the job on him as if he's their houshold servant..
What you talking about. Best time? We need him. I don't care about if he bows out with century or with a duck. We need him. HE is our best batsman rite now.. YES ON YOUR FACE, ON MY FACE. ON EVERYONES FACE. HE IS OUR BEST BAT RITE NOW, and we need hjim. Our batting has sucked from past 5 months now in test, and he has been the only one who has looked CLASS. If we ever neeeded a senior to stay, it's rite now. Dravid, still has about 2000+ runs to delivery which he didn't score in past few years. He has found his form back and can still score over 2000+ runs for us in next 15 months.
What you talking about. Best time? We need him. I don't care about if he bows out with century or with a duck. We need him. HE is our best batsman rite now.. YES ON YOUR FACE, ON MY FACE. ON EVERYONES FACE. HE IS OUR BEST BAT RITE NOW, and we need hjim. Our batting has sucked from past 5 months now in test, and he has been the only one who has looked CLASS. If we ever neeeded a senior to stay, it's rite now. Dravid, still has about 2000+ runs to delivery which he didn't score in past few years. He has found his form back and can still score over 2000+ runs for us in next 15 months.
:((
We/you need him that's why I want him to retire now..He's been used as a Janitor of the team where as all the fanboys ****/orgasm on some glory hunters who have chickened away to take any sort of effing responsibilities, just to concentrate on some glory hunting.. Please ask those glory hunting and record chasing players to stay and sort out the mess..
Who is this "we"? You may need him I dont. Yeh accha dhanda hai. All these buddhas work in phases. 6 mahine yeh chalega and then he becomes "GOD". Then the other works for 6 months and becmes the "Wall".. meanwhile "we" keep becoming chewtiyas..:dance: Their time has come and gone. Live with it
We/you need him that's why I want him to retire now..He's been used as a Janitor of the team where as all the fanboys ****/orgasm on some glory hunters who have chickened away to take any sort of effing responsibilities, just to concentrate on some glory hunting.. Please ask those glory hunting and record chasing players to stay and sort out the mess..
LOL, funny you say that, when rahul dravid has spent the best part of this series and the last 5 years accumulating a mere handful of pointless runs in lost causes. sounds like record chasing to me. in fact, i could easily make the argument that he was just sticking around to beat ponting's run aggregate, sunny G's 34 and 10000+ run mark. if he was selfless and a real team man, he could have given up his spot at any time during the last 5 years - when he was a free wicket in the batting order - for some young player. instead he just chose to carry on.
Yes, this is best time and he should retire after Australia series. There are two main factors because of which I think he should retire. He is 38 now and playing probably best cricket in last 5 years. A player should finish at the top of his game. Now how his retirement can help others? List of series to be played by India in future
  1. WI series (Home)
  2. Australia series (Away)
  3. Pakistan series (Home)
  4. Sri Lanka series (Away)
  5. New Zealand series (Home)
  6. England series (Home)
  7. Australia series (Home)
  8. SA series (Away) - Dec 2013.
  9. NZ series (Away) - Feb 2014
  10. England series (Away) - Jul 2014

Note that till 2013, we have only 1 series outside subcontinent - Australia series. Now if seniors retire one by one now then it will give chance to youngsters to play and learn especially against top sides. Note that home series are with good sides. Then they will get ready to face the challenge in overseas tours starting from 2014. If seniors don't retire now and play for 12-15 months, then it will give only 1 years to selectors to find replacements and they will directly go to overseas tours without much experience. We are certainly not expecting to find decent replacement in 12 months. Few players will have to tested for each position and finally selecting one permanent player will take more time. They will be comfortable with playing at home and gain experience about test cricket. It won't be a good idea to throw them directly to away tours. I'm a big fan of Dravid and Sachin. I often think that how good it would be if they could play for another five years. But practically it's not possible. A time comes when you need to groom youngsters and think about the future.

If Dravid was dropped any time in the last 3 years before the WI series, it would've been totally justified. Glad to see him come good, has been a treat to watch
No one is talking about dropping him. He has earned as much if not more right as Sachin to have lean patches cause we all know he has the talent and commitment to come back. Question is whether these greats should find an appropriate time to retire before their level of play starts to degrade or keep playing till it is obvious even to Boycott's mum that they should have retired years ago.

He can't play forever to be honest, it's a shame he can't retire at his peak given the lack of bench strength in batting. I'd have liked to see him retire at the end of this year with a few more 100s under his belt. Now he will continue to play for another year or two and eventually will retire not at his peak.

BTW,another thing i cant stand about this guy is how he HOGS THE NUMBER 3 SPOT like it's his 'BAAP KA JAAGIR'. when laxman was in tremendous form over the last few years, he could have easily cashed in while batting higher up the order. but mr.dravid, perpetual owner of the number 3 spot, never bothered to demote himself down the order and kept putting the rest of the lineup under pressure with his mind-numbingly boring single digit scores TIME AND TIME AGAIN. he was demoted after 13 innings without a fifty back in 2000/01 and batted at 5. how come this never happened in the last 5 years?? sponsors objection?? bank of baroda wouldn't want their asset to be devalued i suppose. we all know where laxman likes to bat, he has never made any secret of wanting to play at number 3. poor guy, wins all these games, scores stacks of runs, but has to settle for some lower middle order spot alongside tailenders while somebody else collects his pay check after scoring 10 off 9824928 balls. what a sad state of affairs. this whole thing about dravid being a great team man is a massive myth that has been blown out of proportion. i dont know where these things originate but it sure wouldnt happen if people had a mind of their own and didnt engage in pointles hero worship.

Manny you are losing the plot here. Dravid is one guy who has been willing to open when asked and I am sure he would have been willing to bat down if asked to. Players don't generally keep moving up and down the spot in a test line up. When a wicket falls in trying conditions I would rather have Dravid at #3 than anyone else. Ofc on a easy wicket even Suresh Raina can come in for all I care.

check after scoring 10 off 9824928 balls. what a sad state of affairs. .
That's it. Enough bull shyt you wrote there. Yes, Laxman is a player who deserves better but you can't talk that shyt about Dravid. He is the team man so he is the team man. FACTS ARE THERE. The dude carries his bat, gets standing ovation and doesn't even take his pads off because he learns that he has to open again. Why the phack in all this time Tendulkar or Laxman tell Dhoni/Fltech that he just came from bat, today I will take responsibility. Don't tell me this is gully cricket where they will be ignored if they say something. They are seniors, and I am sure Dhoni listens to them. I am not saying Tendulkar or Laxman have to say it. I am just trying to phack your logic about how Dravid is not one of the most SELFLESS player we would ever have. FTW. and a request to you, watch the most of him you can, you will miss in coming years a gem. He's a living legend, and I don't want to imagine what will happen when he retires.