Let's talk about the DRS

champ

I've read a lot of posts on ICF regarding how "We've lost the right to complain" after BCCI (possibly at the behest of a few players in the national team) has opposed DRS. Any time there is poor umpiring and a decision against India is pointed out there is this view point taken by some fans and also TV anchors and commentators that Indians should not complain about it. But why? If an individual or a group of cricket followers from India want DRS to be implemented and give umpires the benefit of technology, why can't they complain about poor decisions. I did not have any say in the BCCI's stance on DRS. I am not opposed to Hawk Eye. Why should I bear the burden of BCCI or Dhoni's stance on DRS and Hawk Eye?

It's the hypocrisy that people are fed up with. Even the most patriotic fan with tri colored blinkers will find it difficult to defend India's position. Bloody sook and cry buckets over poor umpiring but oppose every effort to make umpiring easier on the basis of some bullshit technicalities.

"As a nation"? "burden"? It's just a game ... simple entertainment. It's not like you're paying higher taxes or something.
Yeah, a bit dramatic, I know. :winky: But the underlying point still remains that 'I' did not say no to DRS or Hawk Eye - why then if 'I' complain about a poor umpiring decision should 'I' hear that "It's you who opposed their usage".
Yeah, a bit dramatic, I know. :winky: But the underlying point still remains that 'I' did not say no to DRS or Hawk Eye - why then if 'I' complain about a poor umpiring decision should 'I' hear that "It's you who opposed their usage".
Yep. Its collectivist garbage thought at its worst. Gotta learn to ignore that sort of bs.
I've read a lot of posts on ICF regarding how "We've lost the right to complain" after BCCI (possibly at the behest of a few players in the national team) has opposed DRS. Any time there is poor umpiring and a decision against India is pointed out there is this view point taken by some fans and also TV anchors and commentators that Indians should not complain about it. But why? If an individual or a group of cricket followers from India want DRS to be implemented and give umpires the benefit of technology, why can't they complain about poor decisions. I did not have any say in the BCCI's stance on DRS. I am not opposed to Hawk Eye. Why should I bear the burden of BCCI or Dhoni's stance on DRS and Hawk Eye?
I dont think a team or its fan (India in this case) should lose the right to complain for poor umpiring irrespective of DRS being used or not. Moreover, DRS or not, we should demand for better umpiring.

What a bunch of cowards, this is a case where BCCI power is being abused and the game suffers because of it. There should be a vote between the test nations and if majority agree then it should be fully implemented with ICC covering all costs.

The ICC has ended the mandatory use of DRS and reverted to its pre-June position, by which its use will be subject to bilateral agreements between the participating boards. The organisation's executive board, which met in Dubai on October 10, also approved the new Associates and Affiliates qualifying system for the 2015 World Cup, agreed to make the findings of the independent governance review panel public, and expressed a preference for a Test Championship in 2013. The decision on the DRS marks a reversal from the agreement reached between the ICC and its member boards at the annual conference in Hong Kong, when Hot Spot was made mandatory subject to availability and the use of ball-tracking was left to the playing boards to decide. However, the ICC's executive board said the DRS would still be used in all ICC global events and that they support the use of technology and would continue to work on its development. "Although the DRS improves correct umpire decisions by around five per cent and corrects any blatant errors, there are some who are not convinced by its reliability," Haroon Lorgat, the ICC's chief executive, said in a release. "We will continue to work with interested parties to improve the system while permitting the participating teams to decide whether they wish to use it or not." The change in the regulations for the DRS followed the BCCI's criticism of Hot Spot during India's series in England. At the board's annual general meeting last month, president N Srinivasan said the current technology was simply not good enough after Hot Spot proved inconclusive on a few occasions on the tour, and that the board would raise the issue at the next ICC meeting. India's captain MS Dhoni also voiced his displeasure at the handling of the DRS on more than one occasion on the same tour, with Rahul Dravid in particular falling victim to three controversial dismissals.