Random thoughts....

glogirl

Vibhash' date=' how is Chhath celebrated? What is the significance of the festival[/quote'] Celebration? :fear: Almost no celebrations and lot of work. From what I have seen and what I know, Chhath is celebrated for worshiping Sun. Not all families celebrate Chhath. Only those who wished for something and their wishes came true have to perform all the activities forever. It's compulsory for them. I'm not sure but I guess others can also do Chhath. However it is not compulsory for those families. This tradition passes from saas to bahu. Women have to keep fast for 4 days. On second day, lot of special food is made for this occasion. We invite everyone to eat prasad in evening. This was yesterday. Today we had to prepare sup. I'm not sure what's the English name for sup. Chhath-Pujakuakhai1.jpg1152_S_chhath-l.jpg It is generally made of bamboo. We can use sup made of metal also. Today I learned that metal sup is not a good idea. There is fixed number of sup that has to be prepared. My family has to offer 2 sups. Each sup contains specific items (fruits, incense stick, sindoor etc). People clean their home before this festival. Roads are washed and areas near ponds, rivers are cleaned, proper lighting arrangements are made. Today we have to put everything in basket and carry it on our head to nearest pond/river/lake. We have to walk barefooted from home to pond. Rabri-Devi-along-with-her-husband-RJD-Chief-Lalu-Prasad-during-a-Chhath-Puja.jpg Then we occupy our place near the pond. I had to reach there at 3 PM. My mom entered the pond and waited for the sun to set. During sun set, she had to take those sup and pray. After that we return back. Tomorrow we have to pray to rising sun. So, it would mean waking up at 3 AM, take bath in this cold weather and remain in the water for to pray. :fear:

sachi ? meney tou guess maara :afraid:
To sahi thore na hua. :cantstop: Well the word विभाष should mean special baat. :P But I guess traditionally विभाष was not used for names, rather the word विभास was used in earlier days. विभास means shine or light. Later on as the time passed, people started using विभाष instead of विभास. This is just my theory though.

it means intelligent :giggle:
:two_thumbs_up:
sachi ? meney tou guess maara :afraid:
To sahi thore na hua. :cantstop: Well the word विभाष should mean special baat. :P But I guess traditionally विभाष was not used for names, rather the word विभास was used in earlier days. विभास means shine or light. Later on as the time passed, people started using विभाष instead of विभास. This is just my theory though.
then why did you :two_thumbs_up: ? :whack:
For trying. :dontknow:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Over the years,there has been a "Celebrities Spotted" page on Rediff..One man consistently has been appearing in all the pictures with stars and has become a star in his own right (see the comments on the link below:hysterical:).That man is Kapil Thakur.. I was browsing Rediff and was fortunate enough get his blessings yet again.. http://www.rediff.com/movies/report/spotted-arjun-rampal-in-shirdi/20111027.htm The best part seems to be that he doesnt go around looking for celebrities.They just simply seem to find him. Just like the fleeting glimpse of R.K Laxman's "Common Man" in his daily "You said It", Kapil Saab seems to be there wherever celebrities are (standing non-chalantly in the background). Few more links for your viewing pleasure : http://cricket.rediff.com/report/2010/jan/20/spotted-yuvraj.htm http://movies.rediff.com/report/2010/jan/07/spotted-kangna-ranaut.htm http://cricket.rediff.com/report/2010/jan/04/spotted-dhoni.htm http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/30/spotted-john-abraham.htm http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/24/spotted-abhishek-bachchan.htm Funnily enough, when his photos with celebrities first started making rounds, Rediff started reporting that KT saw so-and-so..Later on, they their verbiage changed to KT met so-and-so :hysterical: So,Just Who is Kapil Thakur?

Celebration? :fear: Almost no celebrations and lot of work. From what I have seen and what I know, Chhath is celebrated for worshiping Sun. Not all families celebrate Chhath. Only those who wished for something and their wishes came true have to perform all the activities forever. It's compulsory for them. I'm not sure but I guess others can also do Chhath. However it is not compulsory for those families. This tradition passes from saas to bahu. Women have to keep fast for 4 days. On second day, lot of special food is made for this occasion. We invite everyone to eat prasad in evening. This was yesterday. Today we had to prepare sup. I'm not sure what's the English name for sup. Chhath-Pujakuakhai1.jpg1152_S_chhath-l.jpg It is generally made of bamboo. We can use sup made of metal also. Today I learned that metal sup is not a good idea. There is fixed number of sup that has to be prepared. My family has to offer 2 sups. Each sup contains specific items (fruits, incense stick, sindoor etc). People clean their home before this festival. Roads are washed and areas near ponds, rivers are cleaned, proper lighting arrangements are made. Today we have to put everything in basket and carry it on our head to nearest pond/river/lake. We have to walk barefooted from home to pond. Rabri-Devi-along-with-her-husband-RJD-Chief-Lalu-Prasad-during-a-Chhath-Puja.jpg Then we occupy our place near the pond. I had to reach there at 3 PM. My mom entered the pond and waited for the sun to set. During sun set, she had to take those sup and pray. After that we return back. Tomorrow we have to pray to rising sun. So, it would mean waking up at 3 AM, take bath in this cold weather and remain in the water for to pray. :fear:
Wow. This is a great description. :two_thumbs_up:

Because India doesn't have extreme weather' date=' for most part. Indian weather, how hot/cold it may get, (except mumbai floods :hahaha: ) is not going to hamper you from going outside, driving etc. Here it is a big ****ing deal. The snow ****s you up real bad. Can't drive, can't bike, can't run sometimes, can't play outside[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: :hahaha: East Coast :hehe: