Mitchel Johnson

kabira

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283875.html Here are list of all studies and fastest bowl competetion. In 1975 study Thomson was regarged as fastest with 160.45 kph and in 1976 he was 160.6 . Andy roberts was 159.45 and 157.4 as second. The difference in speed in 1979 bowling competition was may be because of different method. Apart from Holding and Thomson no other bowler crossed 140 mark .
I also remember the same thing...the speeds I read around 80's-early 90s mostly had bowlers between 86-91mph .marshall looked a beast at that time. after waqar and Donald came along and other bowlers followed, I have taken that pace for granted.
rate the WI quicks,Lillee,Thomson,Imran due to their skill but the pace they bowled is overrated
how so? they all had very handy pace(atleast 86m+)..above 86m was regarded as pretty fast in those days.
that era Botham,Kapil and Haddlee would all be considered tundlers now
a load of nonsense.kapil and botham were no 120 kmp trundlers in the early part of their careers when they were effective.hadlee looked pretty sharp even on indian wickets,two years from his retirement. they are no trundlers even by today's standards.they were not fast as say Imran. only that 86+ pace does not evoke the same awe today.

I don't buy this theory that 1980s WI bowlers or guys like Imran, Lillee and thompson in were faster than any of the current fast bowlers. Today fast bowlers might be in the same speed range but what separated WI 1980s from anyone in history was they were four very fast bowlers with various skills with Holding being the fastest coming at you all at once. MJ was such a force on this pitch and he was lone pace bowler in the match who was constantly hovering at 150. Facing 1980s WI fast bowlers was facing MJ times four but lot more more skill and accuracy.They also got lot more bounce than MJ as they were taller. It does not matter what protection batsmen have these days they would still be terrified when every ball they are facing is hovering around chest high and onto the body at frightening speed. When ball after ball, over after over,session after session,there would be no fricking respite for teams for whole series.I honestly think they did not have the drive to win every match they played and over rates were terrible then denied them winning almost every match they played.

I don't buy this theory that 1980s WI bowlers or guys like Imran, Lillee and thompson in were faster than any of the current fast bowlers.
the 1980's were not as fast as Johnson and for that matter even waqar.barring maybe thommo. marshall was regarded the fastest by 1982.he is a bit slower than waqar in my eyes.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9Iue3ks7U]Rahul Dravid fracture broken jaw - [/ame] That would make Sohidat Hossain bouncer expert. We should not bring in anamolies. :cantstop:
What I meant is it is up to captain how he uses a bowler. We rarely use our bowlers in that way. Whenever Ishant is used like that that he mostly troubled the batsmen and then you need pitches where you can do that.
marshall was the fastest at that time.but he is a bit slower than waqar or Donald.johnson is certainly faster. the windies bowler had 86m+ pace (at their peak) or awkward bounce (like garner) which was more than handy for that time. look at this ! ytNOth31K60
And you know this by watching video clips?? :giggle:
And you know this by watching video clips?? :giggle:
from videos, you expect atleast a decent observer to note that vinay is slower than shami and that shami is slower than umesh? is it too hard? :haha: its a decent evidence.in more subtle situations like hitting batsman on the kneeroll/thighs or fielder's hands under the ball, it is difficult to make a judgement.but speed of a bowler is not so subtle. also my reading and memories from those days.i watched a lot of the 80's action including matches not telecast on dd.i remember the transition between WI to the likes of waqar/Donald. and powers of observation are not equal anyway.depends on multiple factors.so don't worry about what others can do.its not a feasible exercise considering the reality and vastness of individual differences.
How dare you claim that video evidence is better than what is written in a book that you can read in the library ? :giggle:
Quality of evidence -- Word of mouth of a guy claiming that he faced a 8 ft. express bowler who could bowl 100mph throughout the day while literally breathing fire >> Written word in books, especially if there is nobody to corroborate >> Video evidence which obviously has so many problems and errors. :--D