Ra.One-Superhero Flick

rkt.india

Some of you guys are being extremely critical of the movie. Sure, the story was lousy and acting ( if it can be called that) average. But SRK's objective was to rake in the moolah. He's done that. I don't think his intent was to create an artistic masterpiece.
But then isnt it his responsibility to deliver a half-decent film at least ? I mean all the hype,promos,ads,parties...Hes just fooling people and I don't blame him

^ finally someone who agrees Lagaan was a big joke, esp in terms of 'art of movies' If you ever get to watch Paheli - it was even a bigger joke. In defense of SRK and Kareena - they both have shown few instances of their acting skills, it is the bollywood system (directors, producers etc.) - who are actual culprit behind dishing out such crap stuff. Actors do only what they are asked to. Of the countless examples - Saif was crap before and after Omkara.

^ finally someone who agrees Lagaan was a big joke, esp in terms of 'art of movies' If you ever get to watch Paheli - it was even a bigger joke. In defense of SRK and Kareena - they both have shown few instances of their acting skills, it is the bollywood system (directors, producers etc.) - who are actual culprit behind dishing out such crap stuff. Actors do only what they are asked to. Of the countless examples - Saif was crap before and after Omkara.
Are you kidding me,Lagaan was technically brilliant. I know it got more hype because it had all elements that catered to the west.Rural India sterotype,Colorful bollywoodesque presentation in songs,underdog triumphing over the evil regime etc but tell me how often these factors culminate into a slick presentation like Lagaan was.If movies like Braveheart,Gladiator etc ofcourse different themes with more or less the same essence are deemed classics and oscar-worthy so why can't we take pride in Lagaan? People need to look beyond the Lagaan was a sterotype logic and see that it proved Indians can make a period drama with international worthy camera work,screenplay and background music and still maintain the bollywood essence and make it click at the box office.

For eg;the theme for Taare Zameen Par(another well made movie) was a novelty in India but dyslexia is already a big deal in the west.Similarly,Masoom's theme of adultery(the way it was handled without going overboard) is not a ground-breaking concept.They are well made movies for Indian standards but I wouldn't rate them as the best. As far as Ra-one goes we should be embarassed that with so much money spent, so many resources available in India when it comes to technology,the end result is a substandard product.

For eg;the theme for Taare Zameen Par(another well made movie) was a novelty in India but dyslexia is already a big deal in the west.Similarly,Masoom's theme of adultery(the way it was handled without going overboard) is not a ground-breaking concept.They are well made movies for Indian standards but I wouldn't rate them as the best. As far as Ra-one goes we should be embarassed that with so much money spent, so many resources available in India when it comes to technology,the end result is a substandard product.
I think you are looking at movies through a western prism. Slumdog Millionaire was supposed to be "the" film but on seeing it,it was well below average. A great film transcends barriers of language and culture.

I think you are looking at movies through a western prism. Slumdog Millionaire was supposed to be "the" film but on seeing it,it was well below average. A great film transcends barriers of language and culture.
e.g. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/ T29XW.jpg One of the first foreign language films I watched., and when I saw slumdog, I had similar expectations. Which was enjoyable by itself, but not in the same class.

I think you are looking at movies through a western prism. Slumdog Millionaire was supposed to be "the" film but on seeing it,it was well below average..
I saw the movie before it got all the hype and I thought it was a well-made and entertaining film but on revisiting it again after all the hype it got it feels very ordinary.
A great film transcends barriers of language and culture.
I don't think Slumdog Millionaire deserved an oscar if we consider oscar to be a benchmark in Film-making excellence but there has to be some reason why it clicked even abroad despite having an Indian theme to it. similarly,is the case of Lagaan.There is some pattern to a movie having a universal appeal. These movies were a success globally and going by your statement where you said good cinema transcends language and culture this is where Taare Zameen par is a good example as dyslexia might be a new subject in our culture hence we hail the effort but it is not new subject in a lot of other countries.

I saw the movie before it got all the hype and I thought it was a well-made and entertaining film but on revisiting it again after all the hype it got it feels very ordinary. I don't think Slumdog Millionaire deserved an oscar if we consider oscar to be a benchmark in Film-making excellence but there has to be some reason why it clicked even abroad despite having an Indian theme to it. similarly,is the case of Lagaan.There is some pattern to a movie having a universal appeal. These movies were a success globally and going by your statement where you said good cinema transcends language and culture this is where Taare Zameen par is a good example as dyslexia might be a new subject in our culture hence we hail the effort but it is not new subject in a lot of other countries.
I haven't seen Slumdog millionaire. But from what I have read and heard (from mostly americans), it seems that the movie clicked because for some part of it the movie shows India in bad light. It makes people feel pity about Indians. Or may be its kind of the feeling people outside get like" may be India is growing economically but see what people have to live through". This is not good. I gave up counting how many times I had to defend the Indian culture and lifestyle after that movie has been released.

I haven't seen Slumdog millionaire. But from what I have read and heard (from mostly americans)' date=' it seems that the movie clicked because for some part of it the movie shows India in bad light. It makes people feel pity about Indians. Or may be its kind of the feeling people outside get like" may be India is growing economically but see what people have to live through". This is not good. I gave up counting how many times I had to defend the Indian culture and lifestyle after that movie has been released.[/quote'] When one of my co-worker said the samething to me I just said that too bad for you if you get cultural lessons from a movie like slumdog millionaire and Eat-Pray Love.I didn't see the other one but she asked me if I knew any good Ashrams that I knew of:haha: I told her if I should learn about American society and women from Desperate housewives and S** and the city. Its too bad if some people are like that but a really knowledgable person would not be getting a cultural lesson from a movie

I haven't seen Slumdog millionaire. But from what I have read and heard (from mostly americans)' date='[b'] it seems that the movie clicked because for some part of it the movie shows India in bad light. It makes people feel pity about Indians. Or may be its kind of the feeling people outside get like" may be India is growing economically but see what people have to live through". This is not good. I gave up counting how many times I had to defend the Indian culture and lifestyle after that movie has been released.
It might not only be that. Why would a movie work because it shows some country in bad light ? When the end credits rolled, some people were dancing in the theater to "Jai Ho" Later on, I asked a few guys why they liked it..They said it filled them with hope and that it was a great love story.I understood the Hope part.After all, people were losing jobs and there was a pall of gloom around that time. But the second part...Huh???