Kohli will be the world's best batsman very, very soon.

and champions trophy recently was almsot as good as aussies campaign of 2003 .. ifo nly we got a proper final there to bash poms properly..:winky: look i am not comparing those teams but on patta our guys can chase anything against nayone kohli has confidence to chase 320 under 40 overs!
ofcourse with current bowling attacks and new rules etc,we can chase anything I agree. but 350 that day damn damn tough,I dont think we'd have chased that whoever we played
Are you saying Kohli can't massacre decent bowlers on a patta wicket? Even Razzaq has manhandled Mcgrath. You don't think Kohli would have come up with counter plan?
Maybe maybe not. But chasing 359 runs against Australia especially after you were already bowled out for 125 in an earlier match, against McGrath and Lee without powerplays and ball changes? I don't think Kohli would have done much.
ofcourse with current bowling attacks and new rules etc,we can chase anything I agree. but 350 that day damn damn tough,I dont think we'd have chased that whoever we played
350 would have still tough if we don't have Kohli. we would have made a good fist of it. Kohli has won some of the matches comprehensively. This is the only last over finish i think in 4 of his big chases.
we are talking baout current player with confidence of chasing .. dhoni is guy who backs him self to chase anything in last 2-3 overs.. we normally keep run rate over the required rate now a days ..trust me on this if we did not choke even that team would have gotten close
yep if we had this Kohli we would have won that match, This notion that Mcgrath was unplayable on that day is ridiculous, That was flat pancake pitch, Sachin and co just panicked , if they had decent start they could have done it.
yep..same track where even 400 was first scored and first chased down in same game ! :rofl:
Maybe maybe not. But chasing 359 runs against Australia especially after you were already bowled out for 125 in an earlier match' date=' against McGrath and Lee without powerplays and ball changes? I don't think Kohli would have done much.[/quote'] Actually that pitch offered nothing for any bowlers. India's problem was largely mental. They just did not know how to orchestrate big run chases then. I'll give you that. If you had asked the same team to chase the total that India chased today i would still not back them to chase.
does not always i agree but that pitch was pure patta and dream to bat on didn't south africa chase down 430 there on similar track ?
Its not that Indian batting line up was crap while chasing. They had also chased big totals of their times well. In Natwest trophy they chased some big totals with ease, they chased 275 vs Pakistan with ease, quality of bowling makes difference. Anyway why go that far, we had 4 chances of chasing in Australia against Aussies this CB series, why could we win only one and lost 3 ? Where were Kohli and Dhoni ?
Its not that Indian batting line up was crap while chasing. They had also chased big totals of their times well. In Natwest trophy they chased some big totals with ease, they chased 275 vs Pakistan with ease, quality of bowling makes difference. Anyway why go that far, we had 4 chances of chasing in Australia against Aussies this CB series, why could we win only one and lost 3 ? Where were Kohli and Dhoni ?
Cb series was not played on patta so i don;t know where this adds up.. BTW we sucked while chasing ..275 now a days would be forgotten next weak ..only reason it is remembered even now is because it was special thing for us to chase down big target in pressure match BTW i still remember people saying gaya match after we decided to bowl first :winky:
Cb series was not played on patta so i don;t know where this adds up.. BTW we sucked while chasing ..275 now a days would be forgotten next weak ..only reason it is remembered even now is because it was special thing for us to chase down big target in pressure match BTW i still remember people saying gaya match after we decided to bowl first :winky:
I would never chase in a do or die match. Too much on the line. Always easier to set a good target and defend under pressure. Look at the pakis. We even defended what 180? against them in the 99 WC :hysterical:
I would never chase in a do or die match. Too much on the line. Always easier to set a good target and defend under pressure. Look at the pakis. We even defended what 180? against them in the 99 WC :hysterical:
Not 180. It was 222 I think. IN that match Azhar hit akthar for couple of fours in the end.
Those days even chasing 270 was a big task.. That is why we are celebrating that 326 chase as if some kind of monumental achievement. Dhoni started it in Pakistan series. He and Yuvraj formed a formidable combination. Next Chasing king was Gambhir. After that Kohli joined completely overtook everyone while chasing. Just look at the wins.. chasing 330 in 47 overs, 362 in 43, 321 in 36 ...Those are unreal.
well we won world cup with good chase so it does not matters if you have good players under pressure :two_thumbs_up:
yup all thanks to Gauti's self belief. We could have packed it after Sehwag was out and then Sachin. What also helped was the pitch generally became a patta after the initial overs
But quality of bowling was massively inferior to the 2003 one. Lee and McGrath are 2 best ODI bowlers ever, imo. Lee was at the top of his game in ODIs that world cup.
ofcourse with current bowling attacks and new rules etc,we can chase anything I agree. but 350 that day against that attack was damn damn tough,I dont think we'd have chased that whoever we played
that track and that ground even with those rules against those same bowlers will go for around 350+ runs 8 times out of 10 ... it had good bounce with no variation you jsut sit back and hit it out of ground like ponting did .. heck today's pitch was much more tricky because it was slower and atleast turned .. don;t think it owuld have even reversed there cos of conditions and nature of track..pretty much a perfect ground for batting if pitch is made like that. no surprises that 400 was first scored there and that was before rules changed. forgive me if i am wrong but didn't new zealand chased like 350 2 time before 2007 world cup ,against australia ?
we are talking baout current player with confidence of chasing .. dhoni is guy who backs him self to chase anything in last 2-3 overs.. we normally keep run rate over the required rate now a days ..trust me on this if we did not choke even that team would have gotten close
I'm saying thats because of reduced bowling standards and new rules,there was no batting PP in those days for example. McGrath and co. wouldnt give one freebie these bowlers give these days