Sunanda Pushkar found dead in Delhi hotel

Clarke

What does being romantic over emails even mean without any physical proximity?
Depends upon the person, isn't it? If you take the sexual intimacy out of the discussion it may actually bring a man and woman really close. You dont have that hanging over your head. No fear of being judged, no expectations of marriage or relationship. It is the perfect storm of being free and yet gravitating towards this person who is far far away and still values you enough to be anxiously waiting for your email.

Depends upon the person, isn't it? If you take the sexual intimacy out of the discussion it may actually bring a man and woman really close. You dont have that hanging over your head. No fear of being judged, no expectations of marriage or relationship. It is the perfect storm of being free and yet gravitating towards this person who is far far away and still values you enough to be anxiously waiting for your email.
But why would one feel jealous about this kind of a relationship if your partner is in one? I mean, looks completely platonic and emotional. You think it is because the person feels the need to satisfy his/her partners' emotional void completely and feels inadequate if the partner is partly relying on someone external?

But why would one feel jealous about this kind of a relationship if your partner is in one? I mean' date=' looks completely platonic and emotional. You think it is because the person feels the need to satisfy his/her partners' emotional void completely and feels inadequate if the partner is partly relying on someone external?[/quote'] Except that it is not platonic and emotional. In this ever connected world it is super easy to be constantly in touch. Email, twitter, Facebook you name it. Which means two people can be constantly there for each other without being there for each other. This is what happened for Shashi and Mehr, I think. It also means two people can be together and still not be there for each other. Which is perhaps what happened between Shashi and Sunanda.

Except that it is not platonic and emotional. In this ever connected world it is super easy to be constantly in touch. Email, twitter, Facebook you name it. Which means two people can be constantly there for each other without being there for each other. This is what happened for Shashi and Mehr, I think. It also means two people can be together and still not be there for each other. Which is perhaps what happened between Shashi and Sunanda.
I think there are lots of big holes with very little information. But one thing is for sure, that the death is suspicious. Not sure where the investigation is going or is it even being investigated seriously. Meanwhile another Outsider fan boy has come in to pay his obeisance.

I think there are lots of big holes with very little information. But one thing is for sure, that the death is suspicious. Not sure where the investigation is going or is it even being investigated seriously. Meanwhile another Outsider fan boy has come in to pay his obeisance.
To be frank the unfortunate death is not what caught my interest. It is extremely sad and should be properly, and fairly, investigated. My interest was more on the relationship between Shashi and Mehr. I found that captivating. Two people so very different to each other met and found a certain companionship via modern day technology. Age-wise, nationality-wise, whichever way you look. And yet there is a certain commonality too. Two lonely people, for various reasons, connecting and getting close without knowing. Whats with your fanbase? How is it getting this big these days? :haha:

Aah I see. I don't know whether I have those conditions. What do you think' date=' do I have them?[/quote']Can't say, take professional help if you want to know. You can also share with the professional that you are OK with calling women as rakhail, and do not consider it an abuse because,

Wait, why are the police after Shashi ? The woman killed herself -- what has that got to with what Shashi was doing ? Let us just we prove it conclusively, that -- Shashi indeed was sleeping with that Paki woman, that by no means justify for you go and kill yourself. I hate this Indian Laws about suicide, mental torture etc. etc. In USA, if every wife went and killed herself because the husband had an affair, half of the women in USA would be dead by now.

Wait' date= why are the police after Shashi ? The woman killed herself -- what has that got to with what Shashi was doing ? Let us just we prove it conclusively, that -- Shashi indeed was sleeping with that Paki woman, that by no means justify for you go and kill yourself. I hate this Indian Laws about suicide, mental torture etc. etc. In USA, if every wife went and killed herself because the husband had an affair, half of the women in USA would be dead by now.
Are you by any chance AIIMS doctor who did autopsy on her body? Do you have any other information?

Wait, why are the police after Shashi ? The woman killed herself -- what has that got to with what Shashi was doing ? Let us just we prove it conclusively, that -- Shashi indeed was sleeping with that Paki woman, that by no means justify for you go and kill yourself. I hate this Indian Laws about suicide, mental torture etc. etc. In USA, if every wife went and killed herself because the husband had an affair, half of the women in USA would be dead by now.
Even in the US the husband will be interrogated if the death is not natural. I don't think Sashi tharoor has been arrested or declared guilty so far. Btw he mentioned some random reason on the first day and spent a night at aiims so he doesn't get interrogated.

Even in the US the husband will be interrogated if the death is not natural. I don't think Sashi tharoor has been arrested or declared guilty so far. Btw he mentioned some random reason on the first day and spent a night at aiims so he doesn't get interrogated.
In US they suspect the relatives first in such a scenario.

Last Year movie Lunch-Box depicts this beautifully.

The distance is what is working in this case. If the 2 people writing e-mails are in the same room, I doubt the magic working after a few days. When you sit down and write to somebody, you don't have much distraction and you can be very articulate in your thoughts to write down exactly what the other one wants to read. Regarding the jealousy angle, it is basic human nature. More than physical need, if the emotional reciprocation doesn't meet the expectation, it can lead to serious conflict between partners. Mehr apparently called like 20 times in a day, any wife will feel jealous even if it is not a sexual affair. The divide of attention will irk the most for a woman, I guess.

The distance is what is working in this case. If the 2 people writing e-mails are in the same room, I doubt the magic working after a few days. When you sit down and write to somebody, you don't have much distraction and you can be very articulate in your thoughts to write down exactly what the other one wants to read.
That is the most fascinating aspect for me in this case. Distance is what is working here, very well put Coffee saab. But if you considered that for a second the world has come full circle in less than a couple of decades. Even as late as 90s if two people had drifted apart it was impossible to find them again. Most of the sher/ghazal/songs are about judai/seperation/hijrat. Do they even exist anymore in the era of Facebook and Twitter? If a girl was married off the poor boy was heartbroken that he would never see her again, these days he will see an automated email from Facebook suggesting he should join her Friends list :cantstop: But yes you are quite right about romance of email being directly propotional to the distance. It is almost as if the two person move away from daily grind, and sometimes become what they have always wanted to be. Shashi Tharoo is a well educated, articulate indvidual, perhaps our most famous Diplomat of last 30-40 years. On the other hand you have this pretty woman who is also well read living in perhaps a society that does not value her as much. And they connect. It is pretty interesting. Not sure about the phone calls 20 minutes a day. Whay not texting instead :winky: