Why Sangakkara is the best cricketer from the Asian subcontinent the game has ever seen

He comes into discussion as best ever in last 50 years.IMO he is far dependable and consistent batsman than Sachin. To me he is better than Sachin.
Afridi is also dependable and consistent. You can always depend on him to screw you and consistently plays slog shots. Afridi is the greatest batsman to come out of asia.

Saying sunglasses is better than sachin is like saying Barrington is better than viv because his stats are better. Fact is, machine faced significantly superior bowling than sanga, batted on pitches that are harder to bat on (Indian pitches are not just slow low bouncing turners like sl) and batted in an era of more bowler friendly pitches. Sanga is good but I rate him behind sachin, saurav, anwar,inzamam, dravid sehwag, kohli, dhoni and azhar as an odi batsman. In tests, he's behind each in, gavaskar, dravid and sehwag, in same ballpark as Miandad.

Saying sunglasses is better than sachin is like saying Barrington is better than viv because his stats are better. Fact is' date=' machine faced significantly superior bowling than sanga, batted on pitches that are harder to bat on (Indian pitches are not just slow low bouncing turners like sl) and batted in an era of more bowler friendly pitches. Sanga is good but I rate him behind sachin, saurav, [b']anwar,inzamam, dravid sehwag, kohli, dhoni and azhar as an odi batsman. In tests, he's behind each in, gavaskar, dravid and sehwag, in same ballpark as Miandad.
Sanga is better than these folks in ODIs. Anwar was essentially an India and Sharjah bully in ODIs. Australia and SA completely owned Anwar in ODIs.
Saying sunglasses is better than sachin is like saying Barrington is better than viv because his stats are better. Fact is, machine faced significantly superior bowling than sanga, batted on pitches that are harder to bat on
But this becomes non factor when comparing Miandad to Shewag. What a joke.
Azhar maybe. Sanga is not better than sehwag in odis for sure.
Sehwag is not a great ODI bat, if nothing Sanga's sheer volume will drown him in ODIs. Difficult to compare Sehwag and Sanga in tests - different type of players, but Sehwag's monster strike rates probably put him ahead. Come on, just because we think Sanga is not as good as Sachin does not mean he is below several Indian players. Sanga is a legend already.
He is better than Sachin in what? Basket weaving? Surely you aren't talking about cricket.
I will take him over Sachin in tests any day, to me Sachin after 2000 became more compiller of stats. Sanga will go down as best test player from Asia and he is more valuable than Sachin in odis given he is wicketkeeper.
Saying sunglasses is better than sachin is like saying Barrington is better than viv because his stats are better. Fact is' date= machine faced significantly superior bowling than sanga, batted on pitches that are harder to bat on (Indian pitches are not just slow low bouncing turners like sl) and batted in an era of more bowler friendly pitches. Sanga is good but I rate him behind sachin, saurav, anwar,inzamam, dravid sehwag, kohli, dhoni and azhar as an odi batsman. In tests, he's behind each in, gavaskar, dravid and sehwag, in same ballpark as Miandad.
:haha:
But this becomes non factor when comparing Miandad to Shewag. What a joke.
Its not a non-factor, miandad has faced better bowling than Sehwag- but not as significantly more so. Tendulkar and Lara faced significantly better bowling than Sanga against almost everybody. Over their careers, South Africa of the Donald-Pollock era were better than the Saffie attack now, WI bowling was much better, so was Pakistan & India's bowling. English bowling was on par with today's, New Zealand bowling was worse (but their pitches were less batting friendly than in the last 10 years too). Sanga has made easier runs than Tendulkar/Lara virtually against everybody. Also, he's never been involved in major run-making overseas against a major opposition. Sehwag vs Miandad, well Sehwag faced a greater Aussie attack than Miandad did most of the time and the Saffie attack Sehwag has faced is better than all but the WI and Pak attack of Miandad's time ( which doesnt count obviously for Miandad). And unlike Sehwag, Sanga does not possess a one-of-a-kind impact factor ( such as blazingly fast scoring rate in tests, where such a huge statistical oddity does impact a test match significantly) for batting comparison puproses.
I will take him over Sachin in tests any day, to me Sachin after 2000 became more compiller of stats. Sanga will go down as best test player from Asia and he is more valuable than Sachin in odis given he is wicketkeeper.
I would take Sangakarra over Sachin too in Tests... if they are in Sri Lanka.
Its not a non-factor, miandad has faced better bowling than Sehwag- but not as significantly more so. Tendulkar and Lara faced significantly better bowling than Sanga against almost everybody. Over their careers, South Africa of the Donald-Pollock era were better than the Saffie attack now, WI bowling was much better, so was Pakistan & India's bowling. English bowling was on par with today's, New Zealand bowling was worse (but their pitches were less batting friendly than in the last 10 years too). Sanga has made easier runs than Tendulkar/Lara virtually against everybody. Also, he's never been involved in major run-making overseas against a major opposition. Sehwag vs Miandad, well Sehwag faced a greater Aussie attack than Miandad did most of the time and the Saffie attack Sehwag has faced is better than all but the WI and Pak attack of Miandad's time ( which doesnt count obviously for Miandad). And unlike Sehwag, Sanga does not possess a one-of-a-kind impact factor ( such as blazingly fast scoring rate in tests, where such a huge statistical oddity does impact a test match significantly) for batting comparison puproses.
The whle post is nothing short of a joke. 1. Miandad faced Lillee and Thommo and a heap of fast bowlers. The Aussie attacks Shewag faced was McGrath and Warne basically, and Warne becoming a non factor (as for Miandad, spinners were a non-factor, never mind how good they were). 2. SAF attack with Steyn-Morkel-Philander is better than any SAF attacks ever. SAF only had two ATG bowlers in 90s. It's only now they have three of them. Sanag faced better SAF attack last time than what Sachin ever faced in his life. 3. New Zealand bowling in Miandad's era had great Hadlee. Later they had Bond. Mianded is the clear winner when facing new Zealand, because Bond didn't last long. 4. What Sanga and Shewag faced during their career is almost equal. And Minada played from 1975-1996 era, and with a massive overlap of Sachin's and Lara's career. What ever one eyed arguments you make fall flat on the face. I still believe Tendulkat is the best. If I am to order them, I would do SRT > Lara > Sanga > Miandad > Shewag.
The whle post is nothing short of a joke. 1. Miandad faced Lillee and Thommo and a heap of fast bowlers. The Aussie attacks Shewag faced was McGrath and Warne basically, and Warne becoming a non factor (as for Miandad, spinners were a non-factor, never mind how good they were). 2. SAF attack with Steyn-Morkel-Philander is better than any SAF attacks ever. SAF only had two ATG bowlers in 90s. It's only now they have three of them. Sanag faced better SAF attack last time than what Sachin ever faced in his life. 3. New Zealand bowling in Miandad's era had great Hadlee. Later they had Bond. Mianded is the clear winner when facing new Zealand, because Bond didn't last long. 4. What Sanga and Shewag faced during their career is almost equal. And Minada played from 1975-1996 era, and with a massive overlap of Sachin's and Lara's career. What ever one eyed arguments you make fall flat on the face. I still believe Tendulkat is the best. If I am to order them, I would do SRT > Lara > Sanga > Miandad > Shewag.
Sanga faced a great SAF attack but he scored runs only on SA wickets that resembled the subcontinent - at Durban. He failed miserably at Centurion, arguably the quickest pitch in SA. His previous top knock at Centurion did not have any of Donald, Steyn, Morkel or Philander. His 98 at Centurion in 2001 was against an aging Donald. When Sanga made 74 in his first test in SA, Donald was absent. Infact, Sanga has never played an outstanding knock in SA when both pitch and bowlers were hostile. Miandad faced the WI bowlers, but he averaged only 29 odd against them. Moreover, during the era of great bowlers between mid 70s and mid 80s, Miandad was a big home bully - averaging 81 at home (thanks to home umpires!) and 37 away - he is surely overrated. Almost every hundred made by Miandad away from home was in a very high scoring match or in the absence of regular fast bowlers in the opposition.
The whle post is nothing short of a joke. 1. Miandad faced Lillee and Thommo and a heap of fast bowlers. The Aussie attacks Shewag faced was McGrath and Warne basically, and Warne becoming a non factor (as for Miandad, spinners were a non-factor, never mind how good they were).
Sehwag faced a better aussie attack than Miandad. Miandad predominantly faced Lillee OR Thommo, rarely them both. And its a fact that Aussie bowlers outside of Lillee or THommo were no match for the 90s-2000s crop. Sehwag faced mcGrath and Gillespie multiple times, as well as Lee, all of whom are better bowlers than any Aussie Miandad faced, except for Lillee. Not even the aussies doubt the fact that their attack from mid 1990s to late 2000s was superior to any attack they'd had since Lindwall and Miller.
2. SAF attack with Steyn-Morkel-Philander is better than any SAF attacks ever. SAF only had two ATG bowlers in 90s. It's only now they have three of them. Sanag faced better SAF attack last time than what Sachin ever faced in his life.
Err no. Merkel is not an ATG bowler, he can turn out to be one. Same goes for Philander. Pollock and Donald were miles better than ANY south african bowler currently or in the last 10 years not named Steyn. Also, South Africa's support bowlers in the 90s were much, much stronger. McMillan, deVilliers, schultz, ntini were all nearly as effective as morkel. the fact that south africa had a better bowling unit in the 90s ( they also had 3 decent spinners in Adams, Boje and Symcox) and much juicer pitches is evident by the fact that all opposition average scores were much lower against south africa in the 90s than in the mid 2000s onwards.
3. New Zealand bowling in Miandad's era had great Hadlee. Later they had Bond. Mianded is the clear winner when facing new Zealand, because Bond didn't last long.
hadlee + 3 nobodies is not a better bowling attack than morrison + vettori + mills + southee + franklin by much. If you'd played cricket, you should know that a bowling attack is dangerous as an unit. You can easily have a bowling attack not boasting any big names and be a better attack as a whole than a bowling attack with one big name and 3 nobodies. Its often the quality of the nobodies that make the difference. Regardless, in Sehwag's era (2000-2011), i would rate the top class attacks as Australia and South Africa. The good but not great attacks would be Pakistan and England (in England). Sri Lanka and New Zealand were decent, West Indies would be bad. In Miandad's era, the top class attack he faced would only be West Indies, with England being in the 'good but not great' attack category. India were bad, New Zealand were decent.
4. What Sanga and Shewag faced during their career is almost equal. And Minada played from 1975-1996 era, and with a massive overlap of Sachin's and Lara's career. What ever one eyed arguments you make fall flat on the face.
My argument you quoted was a Sehwag vs Miandad comment, not applicable to the Sanga question. Sewage did face a better attack than Sanga because Sanga has much, much less experience facing McGrath, Warne & Gillespie, the last 3 Aussie bowlers (except Mitchell Johnson) who had a reputation for being seriously good or great. Same goes with South Africa too, i think.
I still believe Tendulkat is the best. If I am to order them, I would do SRT > Lara > Sanga > Miandad > Shewag.
I would order them as SRT>Lara>Sehwag>Sanga>Miandad from that group. Reason i rate Sehwag high is simple: he is not an opener by choice. You'd be surprised at how hard opening is, many a middle over bat who've tried as opener have done woefully. Sehwag excelled at it. And his scoring rate is a factor. While scoring rate is rarely a factor in test cricket, especially when we are talking about overall career rates of a small spread ( mid 40s to high 50s), Sehwag's strike rate of 80+ from a position where 45+ is very rare, especially in the first 10 overs, with any success, makes it a one-of-a-kind game changer.Given that he has the runs to compete with most openers and his uncanny knack of scoring centuries anywhere, Sehwag is seriously underrated as a test batsman- ironically, as he was all his career. I rate sehwag to be the 2nd best opener in the history of the subcontinent, after a man who usually figures in the top 5 all-time batsmen list and definitely the greatest opener ever: Gavaskar.