Delhi Daredevils -IPL 2014 Official thread

Switchblade

Is lack of international cricket hurting Pietersen's T20 career? http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketnext/cold-logic-behind-kevin-pietersendelhi-breakup/529206-78.html "The thing is, we have to move on..." TA Sekhar, the Delhi team mentor, later told Wisden India. And so it was. "Yeah, it was surprising no one went for him. He is a great player, he had a good Big Bash League, and we were lucky to get him (for cheap)," Muttiah Muralitharan, the Hyderabad bowling coach, told Wisden India. "In the auctions you saw that Angelo Mathews went for a high price, so we couldn't afford him," said Muralitharan. "Yuvraj (Singh) and Dinesh Karthik also went for big money. Pietersen was the next biggest player, so we thought we'd go for him." Sekhar was blunt and straightforward. "Pietersen has quit playing international cricket. He is a great player, he brings a lot of popularity and a lot of fans, and the sponsors will be very happy with him. And he can win matches single-handedly "But T20 cricket is such that if you don't play the other two formats of the game regularly, you'll struggle just playing this form. Because the tournaments come just once in three months, and in between those periods your skill level will go down if you don't practise. I'm not saying his skill level has gone down, but he has had injuries." Sekhar was vehement. "I won't say he had a very good BBL. It was reasonably good," he said. "The thing is, we have to move on. Even though he came at 1/4th of the price, our scheme of things doesn't allow for that. We are looking at multi-skilled players like (JP) Duminy and Yuvraj and Mathews, who can all bowl." "If I go with four regular bowlers, I have seven batting options, and seven bowling options. Then, if on any day a bowler is going to get hit, I would have an option for another bowler to fill in those one or two overs."

Zaheer looks to be in the final stage of his career as he mentioned his injury concerns playing in FC and that he could manage 4 overs. Delhi could've used someone like Finch/Williamson and another pace allrounder with all that money to spare. Mayank/Iyer/Another Indian Quinton Tiwary Yuvi Duminy Mathews Albie/Sandhu/Tahir Mishra Zak Shami Indian Bowler