Out of the last 14 limited overs encounters between Ind-Pak

Gambit

So why are we winning in ODIs, seriously? It's a major reversal of fortunes, innit? Remember the bad streak we had a couple of years ago, when we were easy meat for all-comers. Heck, remember the world cup? Is it Dhoni? Is it what Lurker terms the turfing out of old fogies and bringing in a generation of new players who don't carry old baggage? There were three crucial periods in the match today. The first was the opening partnership between two very good batsmen, who'll probably represent India in Tests as well. There's no doubt that just as in Tests, India look a different team when Sehwag delivers, scoring at the rate of noughts and demoralising the opposition's bowlers. The second was when Yuvraj and Dhoni took up the baton after Yusuf and Rohit had floundered and had almost lost the momentum. Again, both will probably figure in the Test squad. Finally, Praveen Kumar's opening spell, with the dismissals of the two Ys, both very good batsmen, stood out. A word about Praveen. He seems to have this gift of picking up wickets with the new ball with prodigious regularity. No secret there- he has the ability to move the ball both ways with control, and has a cracking inswinger, in particular. My question to you guys is this: like the incumbents who set up the match before him, has India found another player who can star in both Tests and ODIs?

Atleast Dravid and Ganguly can forget about playing in ODIs and announce retirement. They are slow both on the field and while batting. A simple pick up and throw tells a lot about the confidence of the fielders and it gives a different signal to the opposing batsmen and they will be not so confident to take on the bowling,.

Guest HariSampath

^ It IS Dhoni...and.......er ....a couple of changes in the team he had been insisting upon for last 2 series. Also the fact he didnt want those 2 players meant more spots opened up in the team, more confidence among younger players that they will get fair chances. More competition now, around 8 batters competing very healthy for 6 spots , some 6-7 bowlers for 4 bowling spots, 4 allrounders for 2 spots etc. Excellent fielding, and above all, behind all this is Dhoni who seems to be planning for the WC 2011

Dude' date=' Its true Pakistan haven't found anyone to fill the boots of wasim ,waqar, saeed etc etc. and if you cant appreciate the talent and fear wasim imposed in the opponents, I am sure you dont know your cricket.... If you think I am a pakistani..good for your bro... I DONT GIVE 2 HOOTS ABT WHT U THINK ABT ME..[/quote'] So why dont you count out the earlier games against Pak too, when india didnt have a SRT, dhoni, Uv or Ishant and only had average ODI players? You dont count that when you take the overall records of ind-Pak, do you? why give Pak the excuse when india is not measured by the same parameter?

Also, our fielding ring looks so good now, and what abtthat catch by Rohit :icflove: I alos remember that excellent run out to get Kemp out in the T20 WC.. Yuvraj at point, then Raina, Rohit, Gambhir. Then On-side - Sehwag and Chawla. And our fast bowlers, Ishant (though he dropped one) and Praveen are not that bad, as compared to Venky Prasad and Munaf :D However, I'd like to see how the middle order performs when Gauti and Sehwag get out cheaply.

A word about Praveen. He seems to have this gift of picking up wickets with the new ball with prodigious regularity. No secret there- he has the ability to move the ball both ways with control, and has a cracking inswinger, in particular. My question to you guys is this: like the incumbents who set up the match before him, has India found another player who can star in both Tests and ODIs?
Don't think so - is too much of a new ball bowler and lacks that extra bit of pace needed for test success. Sreesanth, Ishant, Zaheer, RP Singh all look like better test match prospects than Praveen. BTW, from your other picks would count Yuvraj out as well from having a decent test career.

OMG! I cant believe an Indian team that had dropped Dravid and Ganguly, missed out on Zaheer, Sreesanth and Tendulkar and omitted RP Singh and Uthappa from the playing eleven, beat Pakistan by 140 runs! :two_thumbs_up:

i dont think so GS. they dominated us after that by winning 2 of the 3 sahara cups' date=' the asian test championship in india, beating us 3-0 in the ODI series, the tri series in Aus and winning loads of matches in Sharjah. The tide turned only on March 1,2003.[/quote'] No way, they handed us our *****es in a thumping 4-2 defeat in India in 2005

i think praveen kumar can be a handy bowler in test too. he is one bowler who doesn't use much pace to swing the ball. and can be handy to bowl big spell sof 10-12 overs. he can bowl lot of overs in one day. if he can improve on his batting, it's worth selecting him in tests over any other bowler who isn't really being any special

A word about Praveen. He seems to have this gift of picking up wickets with the new ball with prodigious regularity. No secret there- he has the ability to move the ball both ways with control, and has a cracking inswinger, in particular. My question to you guys is this: like the incumbents who set up the match before him, has India found another player who can star in both Tests and ODIs?
Praveen wont be a major threat in the test matches..he has got the swing yes but he lacks that extra zip to trouble the batsmen on dead flat pitches..for that matter even Irfan is missing that zip that he used to have initially wen he came in..Praveen is more than jus a handful in ODIs..he must be a regular..i think more than anything the opposition batsmen take him far too lightly and this helps his bowling a lot..v saw that in the CB series finals as well..one point though i think he can be a real threat in England even in test matches where the ball swings a lot..and that too with his prodigious inswinger he can be lethal there..but rite now Zak,Sree,Ishanth and RP are the clear picks for the tests followed by Praveen and Irfan..v are getting a gud bench strength :dance::two_thumbs_up:

how many more potential encounters against the pakistanis this year? we look good enough to claim each one at the moment. i reckon one more in the final of the kitpy cup (the most obnoxious name for any sporting event), and possible one or two in the asia cup... educate me please, how many times can we expect to play pakistan in the asia cup (assuming they make it to the finals as well)?