Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

Nothing good to write about today's performance. 

Umesh ran in and bowled quick upto 145K  but went for more than 7 rpo. Instead of opening the bowling he was brought in after Sran and Ishant. He was bowled in I think 5 spells which certainly doesn't help a fast bowler. Don't think he will bowl in next match.

Ishant started off bowling poorly, often drifting on to the legs. Then came back and bowled ok in 2nd spell. But those 8 wides are a matter for concern. Bowled 130 - 140K.

Sran too was a bit wayward in the beginning but then improved his line later on. From these two matches we can see he bowls 130-139K in the first spell and loses steam in the 2nd spell. Trundles at around 125-130K in the 2nd spell and starts bowling lot of slower ones like Venkatesh Prasad. Becoming predictable with his variations.

Overall very average performance from the pacers on this flat pitch.

Edited by Mosher

Speed ranges in the second  ODI vs Australia

Umesh     138 k to 145 k

Ishant      132 k to 142 k

Sran        128 k to 138 k  

Umesh bowled very quick yesterday and got some seam movement but bowled too many deliveries on the pads. He was removed after bowling just one over in his first spell....again, when he got a wicket later, he was removed next over. Had to bowl in so many spells that I got the impression that he did not get to build his rhythm.

Ishant is playing in an ODI after a long time and he was a bit rusty quite understandably. It is also possible that his index finger has not healed fully. He bowls a far better line and length these days and is usually a bit quicker too.  I think he will get up there if he gets to play a couple more ODIs. 

Sran tried to bowl decently, bowled some good slower deliveries at the death...but I feel he needs at least one more season in domestic cricket and build up a bit more pace. He slowed down significantly in his later spells...just like the last match.

Speed ranges in the second  ODI vs Australia

Umesh     138 k to 145 k

Ishant      132 k to 142 k

Sran        128 k to 138 k  

Umesh bowled very quick yesterday and got some seam movement but bowled too many deliveries on the pads. He was removed after bowling just one over in his first spell....again, when he got a wicket later, he was removed next over. Had to bowl in so many spells that I got the impression that he did not get to build his rhythm.

Ishant is playing in an ODI after a long time and he was a bit rusty quite understandably. It is also possible that his index finger has not healed fully. He bowls a far better line and length these days and is usually a bit quicker too.  I think he will get up there if he gets to play a couple more ODIs. 

Sran tried to bowl decently, bowled some good slower deliveries at the death...but I feel he needs at least one more season in domestic cricket and build up a bit more pace. He slowed down significantly in his later spells...just like the last match.

that might be intentional.

Edited by rkt.india

Maybe in the slog overs but he bowls slower from his second spell onwards. Seen him do the same in a Ranji match where he was really slow after bowling around 10 overs.

I have seen him bowl quicker in 2nd spell once. He bowled his first spell at 128-130 which made me disappointed but when he was brought back again, he started bowling in 135-139 range in that spell.

I have seen him bowl quicker in 2nd spell once. He bowled his first spell at 128-130 which made me disappointed but when he was brought back again, he started bowling in 135-139 range in that spell.

He needs to improve his stamina though.  Bowling  128 to 132 k  spells often, won't really help him once the novelty factor wears off.

Also,  his bouncer needs improvement. He bowls long-hops a bit too regularly for my liking.

He needs to improve his stamina though.  Bowling  128 to 132 k  spells often, won't really help him once the novelty factor wears off.

Also,  his bouncer needs improvement. He bowls long-hops a bit too regularly for my liking.

He has bowled better than all our front line bowlers till now though he is still raw and needs to get better. His selection in itself was a surprise. This was his first proper FC season as  he struggled with injuries after his debut as an 18 year old.

He has bowled better than all our front line bowlers till now though he is still raw and needs to get better. His selection in itself was a surprise. This was his first proper FC season as  he struggled with injuries after his debut as an 18 year old.

That is the point really.

He obviously has potential....but was he rushed into the team a bit too early, before he could develop fully as a bowler ?

Pproblem is we lack much guidance and development structure for fast bowlers in domestic cricket. Our bowlers dont really develop playing just Ranji Trophy.

They don't develop playing international cricket either.

Infact, none of them develop...they only regress...that is the problem.

The only improvement I have seen regarding pacers in Indian cricket in the last 7 years is ....genuine fast bowlers like Umesh, Aaron and Ishant bowling under captain Kohli...then they look potent and proper.

Sran is not a fast bowler and Kohli would not pick him probably.

Edited by express bowling

They don't develop playing international cricket either.

Infact, none of them develop...they only regress...that is the problem.

The only improvement I have seen regarding pacers in Indian cricket is genuine fast bowlers like Umesh, Aaron and Ishant bowling under captain Kohli...then they look potent and proper.

Sran is not a fast bowler and Kohli would not pick him probably.

Sran is a left arm variety and impressed early on, so, he is going to get more chances. He is no slouch in terms of pace, bowling 135-139 with new ball is pretty good.

Sran is a left arm variety and impressed early on, so, he is going to get more chances. He is no slouch in terms of pace, bowling 135-139 with new ball is pretty good.

If he can bowl 135 k to 140 k then that should be quite ok, especially because he is tall.

I want to see him maintain this pace and hit the deck harder.

I also want to see him improve his zip and bounce off the deck. He is a tall bowler who has bowled on bouncy pitches. Can't remember more than a couple of  deliveries  zipping through. I wonder whether he has been able to land deliveries consistently on the seam.

I am waiting for those conspiracy theorists, especially Pakis who claim that Aus speed guns are tampered and read a faster speed. If anything, Umesh is clocking slower. 

Exactly.

Umesh is looking 150 k and clocking 145 k.

Sran, who was clocking 142 k in India...has a fastest of 139 k so far.

Aussies are finding it difficult to touch 138 k.