Kaththi

Mariyam

No. Unless you call Innocence a copy of Gilda, or Chemmeen, or n number of movies which deals with adultery. But in pranayam, there isn't even adultery.
Ok...I will call Innocence a copy of whatever movies you named ( I have no clue of them but thats not the point)... In terms of the characters and plot and emotions ( which is all that Pranayam is all about ), it is an exact copy of Innocence.... Yes...the Aus movie has more sexual scenes and overt display...but to say Pranayam is not a copy is not right IMO.... People can disagree...it is their right...I believe Pranayam is a copy as Innocence is a movie I saw and loved and was disappointed when I saw Pranayam ( good acting though )

Stand in line, Telugu, - says Sandalwood. Tamil gives a competition to Telugu in dumb Masala movies.
im not denying that..:--D i find malayalam movies are the best to come out from India.. they give lotsa importance to the story than masala..very different from all tamil, telugu and hindi.. but telugu takes the masala to another level..:winky:

Here is the thing,what is the benchmark for being "super quality" Indian cinema.....When was the last time these so called awesome quality art movies were recognized on an international stage....I am not proud of it but Bollywood for what it's worth is known world over and has some recognition- Infact Bollywood has become an adjective of it's own,and Thank you very much we Telugu people will take the credit for influencing some of Bollywood's biggest hits and putting them on the map. The very fact that there is s sterotype of Telugu movies being these mega budgeted masala movies is part of the sterotype,recently there was a movie called Mithunam-very classy movie which became a Multiplex hit(Didn't see it boring :sleep::embarassed:) that I was recommended. Eaga was universally acclaimed and is considered a path breaking movie in Indian cinema. K.Vishwanath,Raghavendar Rao and Ram Gopal Verma have national recognition as trend setters. Tamil I know only Balachander and maybe Shankar(who has not done jack in Hindi) and Maniratnam(who is all hype) Malyalalam and Kannada-do they even use director's in these movies(J/K) :icflove: All I am saying is Telugu movies may be 99% bad but not 100% as you guys are making them out to be

Here is the thing,what is the benchmark for being "super quality" Indian cinema.....When was the last time these so called awesome quality art movies were recognized on an international stage....I am not proud of it but Bollywood for what it's worth is known world over and has some recognition- Infact Bollywood has become an adjective of it's own,and Thank you very much we Telugu people will take the credit for influencing some of Bollywood's biggest hits and putting them on the map. The very fact that there is s sterotype of Telugu movies being these mega budgeted masala movies is part of the sterotype,recently there was a movie called Mithunam-very classy movie which became a Multiplex hit(Didn't see it boring :sleep::embarassed:) that I was recommended. Eaga was universally acclaimed and is considered a path breaking movie in Indian cinema. K.Vishwanath,Raghavendar Rao and Ram Gopal Verma have national recognition as trend setters. Tamil I know only Balachander and maybe Shankar(who has not done jack in Hindi) and Maniratnam(who is all hype) Malyalalam and Kannada-do they even use director's in these movies(J/K) :icflove: All I am saying is Telugu movies may be 99% bad but not 100% as you guys are making them out to be
Ram GOpal Varma..is as over-rated as Maniratnam. Actually Mahendran is my favorite direcctor. Bharathi Raja was very good in the 80s. Bhagyaraj movies.. you want to count how many has been remade into Hindi? Balu Mahendra. There are lot o good directors. If you exclude K viswanath movies majority of the main stream telugu movies were highly formulaic. 6 fights 6 songs 1 rain song. I think Tholi Prema was the first watchable main stream movie in Telugu.

Here is the thing' date='what is the benchmark for being "super quality" Indian cinema.....[b']When was the last time these so called awesome quality art movies were recognized on an international stage....I am not proud of it but Bollywood for what it's worth is known world over and has some recognition-
I stopped reading after this. Why do we have to yearn for International stage? Any Indian movie that is not catered for the LCD. (lowest common denominator - Mass, sex , violence, rain songs, fights),with some focus on Intelligent story telling is what we need to reach for. Movies catered towards mass is easy to make , even Farah Khan with her limited education can do it. It is difficult to make intelligent, entertaining to most, movies. Golmaal (old), Gulzaar, Vishal Bharadwaj movies is what India should reach out for. F* *** International/crossover recognition. Have a song/dance routine that is catered for art/class. Litreture, pics that are Indian at heart. One of the songs I still enjoy from Fiza..picturized on "Indianness" .. rfGB4nm-r18 Drishyam is a very good example of "Indian" cinema...Altho' it can be edited better, such stories should come out more. People are being put off by Song/Dance routine...but I think we need to excel on that as we have a lot of experience on that...

Well, I watch Set Max often to watch these dubbed Tamil movies. They are fun. But, I guess Tamil industry do make lots of good movies but Set max only shows the Masala movies. Hence, we think that these Tamil, Telugu film industry is like that. These channels like Set max and UTV movies have a big role in making people think that these film industries are dumb. I would like to watch some quality Tamil', Telugu movies as you guys said but I don't know where to find and which movies should I pick....:((

Actually Mahendran is my favorite direcctor.
Mahendran was excellent. All those calling Rajini a non-actor should watch Mahendran's Mullum Malarum and Jhony. In recent movies, Aaranya Kaandam by Kumararaja is very good.
4. Munnariyipp - mammotty played a character his age' date=' who has been incarcerated for 20 years in jail, for two murders which he still vehemently denies. A young woman journalist meets him, and realizes this guy is a born genius and lobbies for his release, but when he comes out he realizes the world is no longer the same as he left, the climax again is shocking, unexpected. Movie gave new lease of life to mammotty after a string of flops.[/quote'] Terrific reco :nice: Watched it yesterday and loved it. I usually forward the opening credits but the imagery and music were so unsettling yet mesmerizing that I watched the credits 3 times. It sets the mood for the entire film and is easily comparable to American beauty's plastic bag scene. The climax could be guessed 30 mins away but that doesn't reduce the movie experience in anyway.

Ram GOpal Varma..is as over-rated as Maniratnam. Actually Mahendran is my favorite direcctor. Bharathi Raja was very good in the 80s. Bhagyaraj movies.. you want to count how many has been remade into Hindi? Balu Mahendra. There are lot o good directors. If you exclude K viswanath movies majority of the main stream telugu movies were highly formulaic. 6 fights 6 songs 1 rain song. I think Tholi Prema was the first watchable main stream movie in Telugu.
no bro there were good directors other than k viswanath until 90s, after that downhill started balachander - balu mahendra - bagyaraj - and another guy called sridhar made the best movies barathiraja is overrated even Bharathan who made Thevar MAgan is a good director

KAnnada might be the worst now. we are not even discussing about it. but there was a director called Putanna Kanagal who made exemplary movies. even Balachander who was his senior by 10 years agreed that he was like a guru to him. unfortunately, for me there are no subtitles for his movies in the dvds. there is a guy called girish kasaravalli now. itseems he makes good art movies. i heard there is a good movie called "Lucia" made. the subs are available on the net. iam yet to see it. after i came to know siddarth is remaking it in tamil, i am waiting for the tamil version.

Mahendran was excellent. All those calling Rajini a non-actor should watch Mahendran's Mullum Malarum and Jhony. In recent movies, Aaranya Kaandam by Kumararaja is very good. Terrific reco :nice: Watched it yesterday and loved it. I usually forward the opening credits but the imagery and music were so unsettling yet mesmerizing that I watched the credits 3 times. It sets the mood for the entire film and is easily comparable to American beauty's plastic bag scene. The climax could be guessed 30 mins away but that doesn't reduce the movie experience in anyway.
i will see them soon. Aranya Kandam was terrific noir movie. well done to the director. but i heard it is utter flop, that they did not even release the dvds. i guess tamil people outrightly rejected the noir format. they just wanted it in the regular commercial format. they might have mistook the noir kind of filmmaking for an art movie.