Kaththi

Mariyam

Mohanlal is an absolute legend. He doesnt use any prosthetic makeup. With small variations in body language and dialogue modulation' date=' he brings big changes to his characterization in different movies. I wish he did not act in jilla. even in that idiotic movie, he would utter the most cliched and ridiculous dialogues with utter nonchalance.[/quote'] :two_thumbs_up: He is an enigma. Co stars talk about how he would joke around and play pranks, and when the camera is switched on transforms into character instantly - it might be even a death scene. Yeah, unlike other actors, he never really relied on makeup. His annus mirabilis in my opinion was the year 1987: when he did some 10-11 movies and almost each of them were classics which are celebrated even today. In one movie he played a vagabond, in another a happy-go-lucky shikari shamboo like character, a cool don, a 30 yr old doing his third masters because due to his craze for his college, a hardcore villain, and a farmer - all with almost exactly the same looks, same hairstyle and no additional makeup. But each character he played is so chalk and cheese and unique and is still remembered to this date. Even in an age where youngsters and oldies are resorting to ultra gym sessions, developing 6 packs, bla bla, he is one who is blissfully ignorant about that. Yet when it suits him, he delivers industry hits like Drishyam which then becomes new benchmarks. He has most number of industry hits to his name as well.

how much truth is there in allu arjun's craze in kerala? hype or does he really have a following?
He did have some hype among the youngsters some years back (when happy, bunny, arya etc happened) - but in the last one year or so it has come down. More like a fad. There are still some ardent followers but nothing like, following for Vijay.

True. Kamal is going to ruin it with his ott stuff as compared to Mohanlal subtlety
That may very well happen. In Drishyam every little character had their moments. But with Kamal he could go for more screen time. Gowthami is a good actress. But she is coming back after a long time. Not sure how it will pan out. If you ask me such movies should be left untouched. I understsand the idea of telling this story to every tamilian. But he could ruin the movie. Let us hop he takes the back seat when he is needed to.

That may very well happen. In Drishyam every little character had their moments. But with Kamal he could go for more screen time. Gowthami is a good actress. But she is coming back after a long time. Not sure how it will pan out. If you ask me such movies should be left untouched. I understsand the idea of telling this story to every tamilian. But he could ruin the movie. Let us hop he takes the back seat when he is needed to.
It Won't work...Also Kamal Hassan is known to come up with his own creativity and interfere with directors...Sad that there aren't good roles being written for him that he has to come up with remakes of popular movies.' I saw few minutes of Vishwaroopam on Youtube..Print was bad so might have added to it but I thought it was bad.

When I visited Hyderabad in 2009,Kick(telugu version) had just released and there was a lot of hype around it and was declared a huge hit....I checked it out in theatres and beleive me not only was it a bad movie,it was annoying like nails on a chalkboard. But still the movie was a huge box office hit. They decide to remake that crap in Hindi and guess what again,huge box office hit. Adds to the star power of both Ravi Teja and Salman Khan. Rakes in the Moolah for producers in both Hindi and Telugu. and obviously there is a huge audience for it. Drishyam which is a super hit in Malyalam is remade in Telugu again with a big star like Venkatesh...terrific movie and obviously Mohan Lal is a great actor and Venkatesh a decent actor too does a very good job in the remake but guess what it is a hit(people in andhra-correct me if I am wrong)...It's more of a multiplex hit I beleive. Now if the producer would have leveraged Venkatesh's star power and made a typical masala crap he would be sitting on loads of money. Simple...and this is where Telugu cinema is....it is not the lack of talent or anything,but just that they found a formula to make money and they are riding the horse to the ground. I blame the fans to some extent but that's another debate and has nothing to do with the above mentioned but from the Telugu film industry's perspective,they are doing what any smart businessman would do.
The issue is most of the producers have very little interest or passion for cinema or art. They come from other business backgrounds and make movies only to make the biggest profits possible. So they look to give money only for movies which have formulaic story, characters, wafer thin plot with some item numbers, fights because they are guaranteed a box office hit. If they cared about making good quality movies, they might still make a profit but much lesser in numbers and would involve taking a risk but they are not interested in that. When you get producers/financiers/studio executives who care about making quality movies, you would see better movies.

The issue is most of the producers have very little interest or passion for cinema or art. They come from other business backgrounds and make movies only to make the biggest profits possible. So they look to give money only for movies which have formulaic story, characters, wafer thin plot with some item numbers, fights because they are guaranteed a box office hit. If they cared about making good quality movies, they might still make a profit but much lesser in numbers and would involve taking a risk but they are not interested in that. When you get producers/financiers/studio executives who care about making quality movies, you would see better movies.
Agree! Not just producers, sometimes stars as well have this ego issue. The director of Drishyam, Jeethu, in fact approached Mammootty first for this. Mammootty is notorious for keeping his screen age much lower than his actual age. He couldn't reconcile to playing a de-glamourized uneducated poor farmer with a 17 yr old daughter. Moreover the character doesn't have any punchlines, fights - (the only time there is, he is actually getting beaten up by police, and never giving one back!), conventional romance etc. He rejected. He then approached Antony Perumbavoor, confidante of Mohanlal and the producer, Antony was immediately drawn to it, and he convinced Mohanlal to take up this role. Rest is history. Drishyam broke apart every convention in the rule book. It did not have any saleable star apart from Mohanlal. The hero of the movie is an overweight, uneducated, unsophisticated fellow who is actually trying to hide a crime. There are no real villains (the only one is actually doing his duty). No glitzy songs, no romances, no fights, no razzmatazz, and went on to become the highest ever grossing malayalam movie by a country mile and half. This is precisely why I said malayalam movies are the best. No other language movie can boast of its industry hit being a classy, unconventional one.

^^^^ Well you somehow have to make do with you have isn't it? Since there are no good looking actors in Malayalam, they have to be innovative to survive... Since the Telugu land overflows with good-looking actors who can dance and create comedy, they did not have to resort to low lighting, camera from the lungi and other stuff :aetsch:

^^^^ Well you somehow have to make do with you have isn't it? Since there are no good looking actors in Malayalam, they have to be innovative to survive... Since the Telugu land overflows with good-looking actors who can dance and create comedy, they did not have to resort to low lighting, camera from the lungi and other stuff :aetsch:
Balakrishna would say amen.

^ You both actuallymissed the best ones lol Ty4dLUkAEEY 6EKHebxZOJY
Well, we posted only gifs... On the Balakrishna video, the movie was supposed to be released simultaneously in Telugu and Tamil and since there was no time to shoot 2 versions, this scene was included to cater to Tamil audience that were used to Captain Vijaykanth :two_thumbs_up: