The Sehwag threads [Merged]

Guest HariSampath

The Sehwag threads [Merged]  

1. 1.

• Much better
    • Not better
    • unclear

I see there are plenty of happy and unhappy faces at Sehwag's inclusion in Test for Aus. What is the acceptable success criteria so we can have meaningful discussion after Aus Test tour is completed? It has to be relative to performance of other batsmen, and given that Sehwag is an opener (we expect openers to help us with good strong batting performances) and given that he has been extended a miraculous offer to tour - we expect very good performance from him. Can all (or MOST of us) accept this as the criteria? (we have to ignore umpiring - too complicated to bring that if SRT gets a silly decision, or VS or RD etc)
One century should be there, right (if he atleast plays 3 or 4 innings...)??? As opener who should give us rollicking starts?
Criterias listed so far: 1. Top 2 or Top 3 bat (as per FL's suggestion) 2. Avg 40 and a good helpful century in 1st inn (shwetabh will be happy with this) 3. Avg 40 and/or atleast as good or better than Jaffer (online will be happy with this) This is great. So atleast we will have something to talk about objectively. Other Sehwag fans/detractors - please post too. Hari Sampath, What would you consider as successful tour for Sehwag? Guju24...post Dada Rocks?
ok consistent 50s or 70-80 is fine. however getting 25 in 22 balls and getting out repeatedly around 25-30 is not acceptable no matter strike rate, since runs and batting time are important in TEST cricket... Thanks Tics for ur criteria, others please add too.
If sehwag does what some of you have said - then he will be a SUCCESS If sehwag does 3/4th of what some of you have said - then he will be ALRIGHT If sehwag does only 0.5 to less than 0.5 of this, then I'd have to say he was FAILURE If vastly below, then MISERABLE FAILURE. This is how I'm going to atleast track it. For the record: as said many times, I'm very disappointed that Sehwag is picked, because what the heck are so many others toiling and trying to perform in domestics, when our Raja of Najafgarh can do squat, fail, and walk in. But having been given biased and preferential treatment (which is wrong, IMO), I want to be able to have objective criteria to say SUCCESS, ALRIGHT and FAILURE/Miserable failure.
The way I look at Sehwag and his expected contribution is as follows : 1. Assuming Sehwag plays 8 inngs maximum, perhaps 6 inngs ( depending on how much India gets to bat ), I would make a minimum allowance of first 2 inngs for him to strike form, maybe get a feel , possibly a 40/50 etc, considering he is making a comeback against all odds after a year and he is a stroke player too ( think this is fair enough, when viewed against how much other openers etc have got in recent times). 2. Within the first 2 tests, I would like to see Sehwag do what is expected of him : that is, get India off to a 80-0 or 120-1 start ; dominate the inngs to an extent that our star studded middle order run up 380+ for 7 etc to set up a commanding position by day 2/3 depending on whether we bat first or second...bowlers have to capitalise too. 3. I would expect Sehwag to get a big 100 + in the series plus another 2-3 50s at least to et the Indian top order cracking and the middle order consolidating on the starts to run up matchwinning scores ( 1st or 2nd inngs)...if this happens, an additional bonus would be that at least one of the top Aussie pace attack will be blunted ...long way towards we trying for a win. I think that Sehwag will be considered a huge success if he can achieve the above ( pretty high standards for a man fighting for his place)..that is effectively doing one thing thru the series : play inngs that contribute a long way to establish batting supremacy to try and enforce win , depending on bowlers. I think he will certainly do this PLUS more if he is a bit lucky
fineleg Can we say that by all criteria discussed SEHWAG WAS AN OVERWHELMING SUCCESS

when 03 Melbourne came to sehwag it was Melbourne cricket ground, in 03, when Brett lee bowled a scorcher to hit sehwag on his helmet.. later the day, Sehwag declared his innings on 195.. today we saw something similar.. BRETT LEE HIT one of his delivery on sehwagz right arm which then hit his helmet area.. sehwag repliez with another ton.. VEERU, BEST INDIAN 2ND INNINGZ PLAYER.. SO MORAL OF THE STORY IS, DON'T TRY TO HIT OR INJURE SEHWAG..

it was Melbourne cricket ground, in 03, when Brett lee bowled a scorcher to hit sehwag on his helmet.. later the day, Sehwag declared his innings on 195.. today we saw something similar.. BRETT LEE HIT one of his delivery on sehwagz right arm which then hit his helmet area.. sehwag repliez with another ton.. VEERU, BEST INDIAN 2ND INNINGZ PLAYER.. SO MORAL OF THE STORY IS, DON'T TRY TO HIT OR INJURE SEHWAG..
cuz sehwags a bloody legend rite :giggle::giggle:
Guest HariSampath
I predic scores of 53' date=' 37, 15, 75 on first 4 inngs ( maybe 2/3 tests)...and scores of 160, 80, 40, 0, 60....for rest of inngs :-)[/quote'] I had said this and so I think Sehwag has been almost spoton...just that he wasnt picked by team mngt for first 2 tests....Oh..what a pity !!!

I for one, never thought Sehwag had it in him to come back the way he has done. I felt, before the series, that even if was picked, he would be brutally exposed by the Aussie quicks, and this tour would spell the end of his career. Gaad he has proven me totally wrong. All i can say now is, Respekt !

Guest HariSampath

29, 43, 63, 151 in the 4 test inngs aggregate 286 @ 71.50 Lol and they said this guy shouldnt have been on the tour. Look what he has done, after getting into the test side. Indian team LOOKED a completely different outfit. Helped India win that test match and has been standing between Aus and a win in this test match. Add to this his wkts in both tests as well as his brainwave in asking Kumble to bowl an additional over of Ishant to Ponting and getting that wkt..man Virender Sehwag is FANTASTIC and one of the men of the tests for India