Time for dhoni to retire?

FischerTal

What did Rahane do? :dontknow:

Rahane did bat long but his inning was too slow. He batted at SR less than 70 for first 50 balls. 60 of 82 balls at the end  isnt exactly great while chasing 300. He did try but he is just not capable enough.

Edited by rkt.india

what justifies dropping your best bowler from the last match, especially when bowling is our weak area?

Are you switching to Dhoni the captain now?  So you agree that Dhoni the batsman/Keeper is a deserving starter for Team India?  

I don't disagree completely with you on Mishra btw, but let's just take one thing at a time.  Does Dhoni the ODI batsman still have value or should he retire?

Are you switching to Dhoni the captain now?  So you agree that Dhoni the batsman/Keeper is a deserving starter for Team India?  

I don't disagree completely with you on Mishra btw, but let's just take one thing at a time.  Does Dhoni the ODI batsman still have value or should he retire?

I think he should be at 4. Reread my first reply to you. But retirement should be around the corner looking into the future. 

We still haven't replaced Yuvi .

Wanting Dhoni to retire based on a few lean matches is completely ridiculous.

He still is our best batsman .We have to remember he has given up test cricket so he may need a 1 or 2 matches to get back his touch at times .

Even for captaincy don't think Kohli is anywhere near Dhoni as ODI as of now .He will need to cement his test captaincy before we think about any change in ODI captaincy .We still have 2 years before CT no rush either for any big decisions

We still haven't replaced Yuvi .

Wanting Dhoni to retire based on a few lean matches is completely ridiculous.

He still is our best batsman .We have to remember he has given up test cricket so he may need a 1 or 2 matches to get back his touch at times .

Even for captaincy don't think Kohli is anywhere near Dhoni as ODI as of now .He will need to cement his test captaincy before we think about any change in ODI captaincy .We still have 2 years before CT no rush either for any big decisions

Have we even tried batsmen to replace Yuvi? We have tried Rahane, Rayudu who are never going to have that kind if an impact.

Look at all these knee jerk reactions

Dhoni shouldn't retire, he's still averaging highly at a run-a-ball.

He doesn't have the same ability to go on and dominate the opposition though, agreed. My suggestion - remove Rahane and put Dhoni in 4. He can play a nice solid run-a-ball knock and we can get some powerhitters lower down

Well posted Sage!!

The position might not be the same but the situation was. Dhoni should take that as a hint and bat himself up the order at 3 or 4. This is where he excels now

As I said before the question is about building the side for the next world cup. Would Dhoni captain India in 2019? It does not seem likely. He is still the best wicket keeper batsman we have in ODIs. So let him play as a player for some time and let Kohli captain the side. Although I have my doubts whether Dhoni would be ready to play just as a player. I think he might call it a day if he is removed from captaincy. 

Dhoni in ODIs is a huge asset. Perhaps he should give up captaincy since it's unlikely that he will be there for the next WC, but his position in the team shouldn't be a question of debate for the next two years. At that point, a decision should be made based on whether he will be there for the next WC or not.

People are missing the reason why everyone wants Dhoni to retire. It is because of his abject captaincy. Do you really believe he will play as a player under Kohli? No, for Dhoni to give up captaincy he has to retire. Otherwise he is more than useful keeper and a lower order batsman. But his captaincy is sinking our limited overs ship

Are you naive enough to think Dhoni the captain and Dhoni the player are two separate entities? His captaincy is definitely sinking the Indian ship. And there is no way in 7 hells he will play without being captain. So yes, discussing his captaincy is a very very important point when people talk about his retirement. Dhoni just playing as a player is a fantasy and there is no point in discussing that.