Pace and Hype

i am sure Jeff , Holding and Andy were fast, but the rest were just gas

Exactly.

I think Thomson bowled express for around 2 years.  145 k to 160 k range around 1975 and 1976..  Then slowed down.

Holding was very quick for around 3 years too .  Must have bowled 145 k to 150 k spells in the mid to late '70s.

Same with Roberts.

The rest were nothing special in terms of speed.

Edited by express bowling

the competition ment they had to just come out and bowl fast some 4 deliveries each, just bowl fast, and they blaze to 138-147..if the current guys are asked to do this i am sure some will pop a 156+.

Shoaib Akhtar mentioned that his speed in nets is 101 mph ,not much difference from 100 which he clocked,also it goes the other way , sometime when you are pumped up you may hit extreme speed which you cannot hit in practice

I heard one of Shoaib's interview around early 2000's and he said when he was bowling tennis ball, nobody could see the deliveries. I believe Akhtar to be the fastest that ever was. Thomson would be similar but not for the duration that Akhtar maintained the pace.

After checking the speeds, I wonder if it is actually right to label India as a country which produces only trundlers. I mean Imran was fast medium at best. But we have had bowlers of that speed earlier like Ankola, Wassan ( who definitely was much quicker ) etc. Srinath was even officially clocked above 90mph several times. 

I heard one of Shoaib's interview around early 2000's and he said when he was bowling tennis ball, nobody could see the deliveries. I believe Akhtar to be the fastest that ever was. Thomson would be similar but not for the duration that Akhtar maintained the pace.

After checking the speeds, I wonder if it is actually right to label India as a country which produces only trundlers. I mean Imran was fast medium at best. But we have had bowlers of that speed earlier like Ankola, Wassan ( who definitely was much quicker ) etc. Srinath was even officially clocked above 90mph several times. 

Imran was 3rd fastest in 1979 , His average speed was greater than Holding , if he was fast medium then Holding too was fast medium

In all honesty Akthar was fast like Lee and Wild thing Tait but was not far better than them. I still suspect his 160+ in SA world cup to be an error, he was not consistantly 150+ in that series otherwise.  But when Bret lee tait used to do it they hit 150 + consistantly over the whole spell, bit like what Wahab did in that one game. He is prone to self aggrandizing like many pakistani people. 

In all honesty Akthar was fast like Lee and Wild thing Tait but was not far better than them. I still suspect his 160+ in SA world cup to be an error, he was not consistantly 150+ in that series otherwise.  But when Bret lee tait used to do it they hit 150 + consistantly over the whole spell, bit like what Wahab did in that one game. He is prone to self aggrandizing like many pakistani people. 

I had seen Shoaib bowling overs with avg speed of 155 in that WC. 

Akhtar was a super human even without steroids, Lee, Waqar, Donald, Holding and Thompson were lightning fast but still nowhere as crazy as Akhtar. You must watch his bowling from 1998-2002 to get my point.

It is safe to say that Akhtar at his prime fitness can be the only cricket player in the world who will easily make it to some heavy duty American sports like ice hockey or rugby.  

You watched 2006 India-Pak test series in Pak. Akhtar was at his fastest in that series. He was clicking 157-158 easily. I have never seen Brett Lee bowling that quick ever in test matches.

Akhtar was a super human even without steroids, Lee, Waqar, Donald, Holding and Thompson were lightning fast but still nowhere as crazy as Akhtar. You must watch his bowling from 1998-2002 to get my point.

Akhtar, Lee and Thomson were much quicker than either Donald or Waqar.

Edited by express bowling

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/95065.htm

The following list is provided thanks to the efforts of Eddie Smith, who has been tabulating bowling speeds reported in the media and by his own direct observation over the last few years.

Arbitrarily we regard bowlers reaching 140kph as qualified fast men. Bowlers with the ability to deliver balls above 145kph are considered genuine speedsters. 150kph is regarded as the benchmark for express pace bowlers.

For a list of other reported speeds in past literature, news reports, domestic cricket, women's cricket and historical scientific studies, click here.

But unlike Holding, Imran was never clocked in the 150's as Holding was, in the earlier speed tests. If you think an average speed of 138 is express pace, then yes, Imran Khan was express

The speed in 1979 competition were jokes  , even 147 is not something which we expect from ultra fast bowler. 22 year Holding was measured clocking 148.5 in 1975, and 153 in 1976.

1975 measurement was with high speed accurate camera's while 1976 was with conventional radar

On that one day in Perth, Jeff Thomson had recorded release speeds on 200/400 frames per second photosonic cameras of 159.49kph and 160.45kph (99.7mph), less than 0.3mph short of the magical 100mph mark. In fact, two men considered in the 'Fastest Ever' category, Michael Holding (148.54kph) and Andy Roberts (150.67kph) were both 10kph slower than Thomson on that day and an unwell Dennis Lillee (139.03kph) was 20kph slower. As an interesting side point, Jeff Thomson was also recorded by conventional radar the following year at 160.58kph to win a 'fastest bowler' competition.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/120260.html

The question is why Holding was unable to hit 150 kph in 1979 , I think there was something more in that , may be readings were 7-10 kph slower in 1979 competition 

Edited by Singh bling

You don't keep a ' Fastest Bowler Competition ' with a faulty speed gun! That is as absurd as it gets. I know its hard for you to digest that Imran was no more than a fast medium bowler. But thats all he was. And hey, look at this video. Listen to what Imran says. He says he was at his fastest from 1979-1982. And guess when was the speed competition done? 79!!! So that effectively was as fast as Imran could bowl at, 139!

Edited by Rightarmfast

You don't keep a ' Fastest Bowler Competition ' with a faulty speed gun! That is as absurd as it gets. I know its hard for you to digest that Imran was no more than a fast medium bowler. But thats all he was. And hey, look at this video. Listen to what Imran says. He says he was at his fastest from 1979-1982. And guess when was the speed competition done? 79!!! So that effectively was as fast as Imran could bowl at, 139!

Not saying faulty speed gun , but may be they measured distance slightly longer than they did in 1975.O/W please tell me how Holding was averaging barely 135 with fastest 141. People here are saying that today's bowlers will hit 156 in those condition. By that Logic Holding's average speed in test must be 132-133  as he was putting extra effort and with that he averaged 135, this put him in category of Vinay Kumar and not even with Zaheer or Shami.

Btw do you think if we time travel Vinay Kumar of 2010-2011 to 1979 , he could had emerged as winner  or second, after all everybody has seen few of his deliveries around 144