Time ticking for Hardik Pandya

maniac

International class allrounders are like gold dust, very hard to find.  So we should evaluate what we have with a clear eye, and maximize the use of 1.5 versions we have instead of criticizing them for not living up to our expectations and needs.  And who knows, given Pandya's pace, hitting ability, and some good coaching, he could improve as a player and become that true allrounder, even if he isn't one yet.  

Completely agree with this. Thats why its so hard to assess domestic 'allrounders'

I know lol .... but since he appeared to be so concerned about accuracy of what others write at least he should have used the right words  :--D

Fast short of length deliveries and bouncers are Pandya's strength. He hurries the batsmen most of the time. He is not that good with full deliveries because they mostly float while his shorter deliveries zips off the surface. Even that ball hurried on to Mushfikur who didn't expect that length and the shot he played was a forced reaction which resulted in a top edge.

Finally a reasonable analysis! 

Why is a part-time bowler bowling the last over of a crucial knock-out match ( effectively ) ?

Pandya's bowling is not fully developed yet and , as of now,  he is only good enough for a few overs in the middle. ( His primary role in the team is as a lower order big hitter )

Given that fact, he kept his nerve and bowled 2 decent deliveries in the last 3 balls. 

I don't expect a work-in-progress part time bowler to bowl 5 to 6 good deliveries in a crucial final over...and neither should our team management.

Edited by express bowling

This was a one off occasion for pandya to bowl the death over,normally in lois it would be either bumrah or shami who'll be  in charge to bowl the final over.

No need for OTT scrutiny of his over,thing is he is not good at yorkers and back of a length deliveries are his strength (could have got shakib out long before had ashwin taken the catch) so he played to his strength,only the mahmudulla delivery was an aberration where he went for a Yorker and it was shooted horribly wrong,I am pretty sure after that ball he had a talk with Dhoni and the plan was to stick with his strength I.e back of a length which surprised the batsman lol

Why is a part-time bowler bowling the last over of a crucial knock-out match ( effectively ) ?

Pandya's bowling is not fully developed yet and , as of now,  he is only good enough for a few overs in the middle. ( His primary role in the team is as a lower order big hitter )

Given that fact, he kept his nerve and bowled 2 decent deliveries on the last 3 balls. 

I don't expect a work-in-progress part time bowler to bowl 5 to 6 good deliveries in a crucial final over...and neither should our team management.

yes sehwag mentioned that he did say when shakib got out he brought jadeja and nehra,instead should have given one over to raina to slot in for the fifth bowler's quota, that way bumrah would have bowled the final over ,we almost had to pay for that in tbe end

Given that fact, he kept his nerve and bowled 2 decent deliveries on the last 3 balls. 

yes sehwag mentioned that he did say when shakib got out he brought jadeja and nehra,instead should have given one over to raina to slot in for the fifth bowler's quota, that way bumrah would have bowled the final over ,we almost had to pay for that in tbe end

Fast short of length deliveries and bouncers are Pandya's strength. He hurries the batsmen most of the time. He is not that good with full deliveries because they mostly float while his shorter deliveries zips off the surface. Even that ball hurried on to Mushfikur who didn't expect that length and the shot he played was a forced reaction which resulted in a top edge.

There was no need for Rahim to play that shot. BD had already done the hardwork and  scored 9 runs in the first 3 deliveries. At that point, only 2 runs were needed of 3 balls. A single would have tied the game and a couple would have won it. It was as if Rahim wanted to go for 3 consecutive boundaries which is always hard to achieve 

Same thing with the full toss

Edited by rett

There was no need for Rahim to play that shot. BD had already done the hardwork and  scored 9 runs in the first 3 deliveries. At that point, only 2 runs were needed of 3 balls. A single would have tied the game and a couple would have won it. It was as if Rahim wanted to go for 3 consecutive boundaries which is always hard to achieve 

Same thing with the full toss

As I said that was a forced reaction from Rahim as Rahim didnt expect that length. This does happen in pressure. Not the first time a batsman played such a shot in cricket under pressure. He might not have wanted to play that shot, but sometimes, how you react to the ball is different than how you think you should react.  

He was a bit unlucky in the match. A few top edges with the ball. But then again he did pick up wickets in the last over on some poor balls.

With the bat i thought 1-2 more overs of him and india would have reached 160 with ease. It was a good catch from Sarkar. 

The fielding as usual was excellent.

That was brainfart from Bangladeshi batsmen. Pandeya bowled normally, nothing was extra ordinary there. They just had to take singles. In other way too, those balls could have been put away anywhere but it was our luck that ball went straight to fielder. Sometimes you need luck to favour you for winning matches and that happened yesterday. Still Dhoni lose track in his captaincy by not bowling main bowlers properly.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 dual sim using Tapatalk

As I said that was a forced reaction from Rahim as Rahim didnt expect that length. This does happen in pressure. Not the first time a batsman played such a shot in cricket under pressure. He might not have wanted to play that shot, but sometimes, how you react to the ball is different than how you think you should 

The way Rahim hit the previous 2 balls for 4, he appeard to be handling pressure well. He celebrated too after the last 4. It is probably the fact that he unnecessarily tried to finish the game with a boundary (could hv even played a dot) that brought his downfall and which then put BD under pressure 

It was more of an example of brainless cricket than shot played under pressure at that point

Edited by rett

The way Rahim hit the previous 2 balls for 4, he appeard to be handling pressure well. He celebrated too after the last 4. It is probably the fact that he unnecessarily tried to finish the game with a boundary (could hv even played a dot) that brought his downfall and which then put BD under pressure 

It was more of an example of brainless cricket than shot played under pressure at that point

He played to the ball, not to the situation. Ball was there to play that shot, but he got hurried and top edged it. Same for Mahmudullah who also played to the ball but sometimes low full tosses can be hard to hit if bowled at pace.

Given that fact, he kept his nerve and bowled 2 decent deliveries in the last 3 balls. 

For me the game was also like a battle of the morons :cantstop:

Pandya did his job well

He scored 15 runs from 7 balls with 2 fours & 1 six,he was out to outstanding catch from Soumya Sarkar

He defended 11 runs from his over taking 2 wickets.He had 1 catch dropped of his bowling by R Ashwin in his previous over

He took a good catch.

He had a direct hit at the stumps ,but the batsman was in.

Inspite of inexperience he had the calm,confidence courage to bowl the last over .

He certainly deserves to be in the squad for a longer period & should be encouraged to become a good allrounder.

Which is why it is an example of brainless cricket 

Whether he was hurried is a pointless discussion 

Yeah, even if its a bad ball, no need to take the risk at that point.  He could have hit it anywhere for a double or at worst a single.  Even straight to the fielder ties the score.  People get carried away with "play to the merit of the ball", and "express yourself".  When you need to 2 to win, you have to use your brain a bit.