RIO 2016 - Official Thread

sourab10forever

12 hours ago, Adi_91 said:

What an athlete Dipa was in Rio. Even hats off to her will be less. :isalute:

To me, she is the best, along with the ranks of Jeev Milkha Singh. Both legends for India.

Yes gymnastics and that too in India...still 4th...commendable effort.

But hope we have the underdog stories of people actually winning medals than just finishing 4th or giving a great performance.

Milkha Singh,PT Usha and now Dipa....all inspirational but when can we actually get over the finish line :wall:

Also Dipa finished 75,65,8 and 51 in the other events.....let us appreciate her for being a trend setter and first of her kind but let us not appreciate a mediocre performance overall here...this is the problem of having low expectations.

Credit to her but hope she comes back strong and knows what she needs to compete at the next level....even though with our olympic committee that is going to be an uphill task

Ok I didn't know this

Dipa performs the Produnova vault at the Olympics. It is a high-risk manoeuvre that just one more gymnast was willing to try at Rio — a 41-year-old Russian desperate for a medal. When performing the Produnova, she springs with her hand, performs two somersaults and then tries to land on her feet. As Firstpost had pointed out earlier, even a minor mistake can lead to serious injury, including paralysis. Death is also a possibility.

Hats off is true :hatsoff::hail:

57 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Wang Yihan and Lin Dan.....Bole to tata bye bye.

Lin Dan might be tough, but I have hope in sindhu. 

She beat world number one Carolina Marin 9 months ago coming back from 13-18 deficit.

Edited by FischerTal

8 minutes ago, sscomp32 said:

fixed. 

Let's see, I expect it to be a close contest, Srikanth has improved his defense a lot since the last time I saw him. Same with sindhu, only problem with sindhu is she has stamina issues. She doesn't put her opponents away, likes to take a break. That won't work against yihan

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Shaunae Miller of the Bahamas dives over the finish line to just beat out American Allyson Felix for the gold medal in the 400m. She won by 0.07 seconds. :blink:

w400mfinal_usatsi_9469170.jpg

Is that allowed? I mean I have seen some guys(in the voice of LSRK) get incredible elevation and distance in long jump this olympics.....why can't they just do that once they are in striking distance :hmmm:

19 minutes ago, maniac said:

I have seen some guys(in the voice of LSRK) get incredible elevation and distance in long jump this olympics.....why can't they just do that once they are in striking distance

The IAAF rule book states “The athletes shall be placed in the order in which any part of their bodies (i.e. torso, as distinguished from the head, neck, arms, legs, hands or feet) reached the vertical plane of the nearer edge of the finish line”.

THis means the torso (chest and midsection) takes precedence. Shaunae Miller dived and she got first because her chest was in front and touched the finish line ahead of the second runner. If runners do a long jump, their legs will touch the finish line first. Not a good strategy then in close finishes. Also, if everyone abuses this and dives/jumps all the time, then they will just make it illegal.