Ben Duckett is going to make it big

maniac

Watching him bat is such a refreshing change....got the brute force of this current day power cricketer as well as the delicate touch game as well.....good at rotating strike and running between the wickets....very special talent.

2 minutes ago, velu said:

who is he and what he did ? :hmmm:

New player from England....playing in this game....just oozes talent.....I can just feel it...making the call

Edited by maniac

Stokes the light-skinned slightly thicker version of Hardik Pandya - both are uneducated flash boys who like a slog and bowl seam-up.  Pandya may have some catching up to do on the tattoo front and also the bad behavior front...

Duckett looks like an awkward funhouse mirror reflection of his older brother, as if someone shrunk a bigger dude into a smaller frame for a movie or something.  Decent batting this game, but haven't seen enough of him to judge.  

As I write this, he just leg-glanced himself into the keeper's gloves.  Good catch.

Edited by sandeep
4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Stokes the light-skinned slightly thicker version of Hardik Pandya - both are uneducated flash boys who like a slog and bowl seam-up.  Pandya may have some catching up to do on the tattoo front and also the bad behavior front...

Duckett looks like an awkward funhouse mirror reflection of his older brother, as if someone shrunk a bigger dude into a smaller frame for a movie or something.  Decent batting this game, but haven't seen enough of him to judge.  

As I write this, he just leg-glanced himself into the keeper's gloves.  Good catch.

Let Pandya score a 200 in South Africa against their pace attack and then we will put them in the same sentence....The guy has 100's and 5 wicket hauls in both ODI's and tests and has already played some clutch innings.

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That is the thing about making a call on talents......What is the point of calling someone a talent when he is already accomplished....I have seen his defense,stroke play and power hitting,daft touch,time while playing shots etc and making the call...You know greatness when you see it.

Who is his older brother? :hmmm:

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Let Pandya score a 200 in South Africa against their pace attack and then we will put them in the same sentence....The guy has 100's and 5 wicket hauls in both ODI's and tests and has already played some clutch innings.

Fair enough, Stokes has done well in tests and Pandya hasn't.  Comparable players in LOI cricket though.  People have a tendency to over-rate "gora" allrounders.  

And if Pandya stays relatively injury free for the next 4-5 years, he has the chance to be India's best seamer allrounder after kapil.  

28 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Fair enough, Stokes has done well in tests and Pandya hasn't.  Comparable players in LOI cricket though.  People have a tendency to over-rate "gora" allrounders.  

And if Pandya stays relatively injury free for the next 4-5 years, he has the chance to be India's best seamer allrounder after kapil.  

What??? that is a long shot......He has a long way to catch up to No2 and No 3 on that list right now in Irfan Pathan and Manoj Prabhakar.

Yes he is a good prospect that's about it...As far as Stokes goes the guy is a core part of the test team and has a ODI 100 and a 6 wicket haul in ODI's...don't let that final over in WT20 cloud your judgement.

Just now, maniac said:

What??? that is a long shot......He has a long way to catch up to No2 and No 3 on that list right now in Irfan Pathan and Manoj Prabhakar.

Yes he is a good prospect that's about it...As far as Stokes goes the guy is a core part of the test team and has a ODI 100 and a 6 wicket haul in ODI's...don't let that final over in WT20 cloud your judgement.

One second you are spouting off about spotting ability based on one game that you have seen this duckett balti fellow bat.  And now questioning my right to have an opinion on Pandya's abilities?  

I have said it before and will say it again - Stokes is over-rated, and Pandya can be better than him - career numbers wise in LOI cricket.  Yeah Stokes has the better record so far, and Pandya is yet to show us much.  Bowling is extremely raw, but its a call made on "talent". ;-)

Edited by sandeep
1 minute ago, sandeep said:

One second you are spouting off about spotting ability based on one game that you have seen this duckett balti fellow bat.  And now questioning my right to have an opinion on Pandya's abilities?  

I have said it before and will say it again - Stokes is over-rated, and Pandya can be better than him - career numbers wise in LOI cricket.  Yeah Stokes has the better record so far, and Pandya is yet to show us much.  Bowling is extremely raw, but its a call made on "talent". ;-)

Lol what? when am I questioning your opinion on Pandya's abilities?.....If Pandya becomes a Kapil Dev in 4 years that would take some doing especially given the fact that Kapil Dev played for 15+ years to build a legacy.

And based on what I saw of him in WT20 there is something missing there.

Duckett impressed me because he has the power game,the defense,,ability to play late,ground strokes,daft touch and the only way up for a youngster with all that from here is stardom unless he screws it up himself.

Coming to Pandya the allrounder...only ability(if you can call it that) were hoicks with the bat and ability to hit 135 and the effort ball upto 140 at gun barrel straight...no swing,no seam,no slower ball....has a good short ball though...that is pretty much it......For him to improve he has to pretty much unlearn or improve on every aspect and if he works hard,he will make it and that pretty much applies to every human being out there and this is a credible athlete we are talking about.......I am sure you saw something special in him which I am missing and you are free to express that on this forum...I am open to change my mind and get convinced whenever a strong argument is made or when the player improves case in point KL Rahul.

As far as Stokes goes....you haven't seen his clutch innings against quality Aus and SA attacks or his spells where he made the ball talk with good speed......I never said Stokes is already a ATG...just that he has all the tools and some performances to be one....Yes if he gets consistent he will be there for sure....just that he has the foundation to be a top tier player in terms of skills and performances than Pandya does unfortunately.

As an Indian leave alone Stokes,I want Pandya to be the next Kallis or Sobers....but let us wait and watch and hope for teh sake of teh team he does well.

I'll settle for a poor man's Razzaq from Pandya.  Indian team could use a player like that to balance out the XI.  

Yeah I haven't seen those "quality" innings of Stokes, but what I have seen of him is nothing that impressive.  He looks a good bat and a useful medium pacer.  And has an extremely punchable face.  

T20I is the only format that Hardik has played at international level. Both Hardik and Stokes have played similar number of T20I matches.

In batting,  both have similar averages  of 11 and 13  and SR of 139 and 143.  

In bowling ....Pandya averages an excellent 24 and Stokes a high 49.

In test matches and ODIs, Stokes has been inconsistent with both bat and ball so far. Batting average of 33 and 27...bowling average of 37 and 37.  ER of 6 in ODIs.

Stokes obviously has potential but that has not been converted into consistent performances so far....that 258  remains his main selling point.

Edited by express bowling
5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

T20I is the only format that Hardik has played at international level. Both Hardik and Stokes have played similar number of T20I matches.

In batting,  both have similar averages and SR. 

In bowling ....Pandya averages an excellent 24 and Stokes a high 49.

In test matches and ODIs, Stokes has been inconsistent with both bat and ball so far. Batting average of 33 and 27...bowling average of 37 and 37.  ER of 6 in ODIs.

Stokes obviously has potential but that has not been converted into consistent performances so far....that 250 remains his main selling point.

While I agree Stokes has been inconsistent and has a long way to go to full realize his potential....apart from the 250 has 2 5 wicket hauls against a very strong Australian side both home and away in tests.

He took a 4 wicket haul in UAE against Pak in tests.

He just won a man of the series against Bangladesh in the ODI series

He has a ODI 5 wicket haul against the Aussies too.

He just scored a ODI 100 in the Subcontinent.

Pandya has not done anything so far and in his defense has not played a lot of cricket....right now...if he becomes as good as stokes....it will be start,until then he has got nothing on Stokes.

Something as trivial as T20 bowling average to prove Pandya is better than Stokes is funny.

36 minutes ago, maniac said:

While I agree Stokes has been inconsistent and has a long way to go to full realize his potential....apart from the 250 has 2 5 wicket hauls against a very strong Australian side both home and away in tests.

He took a 4 wicket haul in UAE against Pak in tests.

He just won a man of the series against Bangladesh in the ODI series

He has a ODI 5 wicket haul against the Aussies too.

He just scored a ODI 100 in the Subcontinent.

Pandya has not done anything so far and in his defense has not played a lot of cricket....right now...if he becomes as good as stokes....it will be start,until then he has got nothing on Stokes.

Something as trivial as T20 bowling average to prove Pandya is better than Stokes is funny.

I am not saying Pandya is better or worse ....just saying that we cannot compare a player who is yet to play a single test or ODI with another player who has played 25 tests and 47 ODIs and have been inconsistent so far.

Also, as Stokes usually bats at no.6....the slot for a proper batsman...his batting averages will have to do justice to that position. 

The performances you mentioned showcase his potential, which I agree he has.....but consistency is needed at international level. He is not a rookie anymore.