Team for rest of the series

tweaker

4 hours ago, tweaker said:

Gambhir should be dropped & maybe Kuldeep can be selected in his place

Unlikely they will take Kuldeep, although they may drop Gam.

1 minute ago, Samcric said:

Bhuvi for Ishant, Chahal for Amit Mishra. Kuldeep turns it away from left-handers so can only replace Jayant Yadav but I think he has done well with his limited opportunities (would have been an absolute rock star if only the bail had moved!)

Gambhir should be replaced as well but by whom? Don't want Dhawan back unless he scores big in domestic. Are guys like Mandeep good enough? Unfortunately, Rahul does not inspire confidence until he reaches 20 and Vijay has been losing the plot after first test of a series! But I guess those two deserve a long rope based on potential and overall performance respectively. So may be include Mukund or Herwadkar to replace Gambhir?

Mukund is the better choice, although I think Herwadkar (and Khajuria) has a lot more long-term potential.

6 hours ago, tweaker said:

Pankaj Singh should be given 1 more oppurtunity to play a test series

Shami / Yadav can be rested for some test

Agreed, he has again been picking wickets in this years Ranji, deserves one chance at home, not likely to happen though, my guess is that the selectors feel Ishant offers the same attributes at better pace and more experience.

2 minutes ago, speedster said:

Agreed, he has again been picking wickets in this years Ranji, deserves one chance at home, not likely to happen though, my guess is that the selectors feel Ishant offers the same attributes at better pace and more experience.

Playing Ishant would be a step backwards.

2 minutes ago, speedster said:

I agree with you, however he seems to be more in the scheme of things than Pankaj

Well, that's true from the team management perspective. Although Shami and Umesh have not bowled badly, they don't have many wkts to show for it either. Hence, it would be nice if BK could be played instead... yes, I know that he'll be quite ineffective on tracks that don't assist him, but Mohali may have a bit. And, he's a pretty solid lower-order bat too.

Pankaj Singh was bowling like a dream in this year's Duleep trophy.

I have never seen him bowl with this much intensity.

Bowling to a plan. very accurate and at the batsmen all the time, sharp pace, bowling good bouncers, getting outswing. he was picking wickets regularly and injured Mukund with a bouncer.

Edited by express bowling
9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bowling to a plan. very accurate and at the batsmen all the time, sharp pace, bowling good bouncers, getting outswing. he was picking wickets regularly and injured Mukund with a bouncer.

I wonder how he will stack up against Eng though... there's a gap between domestic and int'l teams, and he does not have very happy memories of playing against Eng.

20 minutes ago, express bowling said:

He's been unlucky, he tried hard even in England, there were catches dropped off him that might have made a difference and added to his confidence. 

9 minutes ago, speedster said:

He's been unlucky, he tried hard even in England, there were catches dropped off him that might have made a difference and added to his confidence. 

Yes, but dropped catches are common... look at poor Srinath. Point is that, at least in Eng, he struck me as less than int'l class. But, people say he's improved a fair amount since then.

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Same team, Same 11 for me for the rest of the series, unless somebody is injured.

Go easy. It is a 5 match test series, not One day series. Players might not be injured but still need to be rested. Especially Shami. We don't need to wait for them to be injured. Shami looks weak. If India wins 3rd test, we should rest him for 4th.

8 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Go easy. It is a 5 match test series, not One day series. Players might not be injured but still need to be rested. Especially Shami. We don't need to wait for them to be injured. Shami looks weak. If India wins 3rd test, we should rest him for 4th.

No, this is a game for men.  If they can't survive a 4 test series (we have some changes in 11 for this test), they might as well play ODIs/T20s.  If we go 3-0 going into the 5th test, maybe Mishra for Jadoo (ET) .