The Australian Open 2017

Cricketics

2 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Where does this match rank amongst tennis matches?

Brilliant 5th set and then some first three sets had class shown by both  players in the sets they won. 4th set was the weakest.

But 5th set was just brilliant. 

Overall, I wasn't expecting the greatest match to be played, but it gave those chills for sure because of the players involved and again for it going to the fifth set. 

Reason Federer won today:

Aggressive Backhand (Didn't expect it)

Court speed

Rafa's bizzare tactics (Didn't use his FH well)

His Backhand was doing much damage

He troubled Roger forehand defence with sharp backhands

May be Rafa has lost his confidence in FH:hmmm:

Anyway No 18 will motivate nole:cheer::cheer:

Only reason i supported today was i didn't want Rafa or Murray (lost earlier:yess:) to win :aha:

Edited by kumar713

11 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Well Fed played better overall, not a classic match..too many unforced errors, 

One hawkeye q, why would a favorable result on second serve, give one, a first srrve?  It should result in a second serve , technically .

Hmm, I think he challenged the call on the first serve, but then again he already did the second serve, nt sure

5 hours ago, Cricketics said:

If you are rich enough to have a big time around you such as trainer and traveling coach, you can do well. There is lot of money now to afford those kind of trainers for top 50 players. Federer and Nadal have made tons of money to afford team of 10 such people for every tournament. 

It is not just that, but today's game favours longevity. Its a bit counter-intuitive, but if you play baseline game, it requires a high level of fitness but its a style that doesn't break down your body as much. Note how late Agassi, Lendl, etc. played till and were effective.

Serve and Volley, even though is energy-conserving, catches up to you in your late 20s, because its a continuous story of stretching & lunging at your limit. After you turn pro at 18 and do it for 10 years or so, your back, shoulder, hamstrings etc. tend to blow up on you. 

This, IMO, is one of the major reason why baseline pounders these days are lasting longer.

5 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Didnt watch the match but judging from the scorelines,it was definitely not the highest quality

I watched it and I'd say it was definitely a classic.

This match was more tactically oriented than most Fedal matches i've seen, with both players showing they are more in tune with strategy than trying to pound crazy winners (Federer) or crazy long rallies (Nadal) past each other.

It also had some periods of super-high quality tennis of both styles (Pounding baseline rallies and crazy angle winners) and periods where each player was misfiring but both recovered after their level went down a few notches.

To me, the decisive element of this match was Federer played completely carefree, in a way he doesnt usually play at Slam finals. He knew Nadal's bread and butter would be to lock him up in the backhand corner with his big, bouncy forehand, so he went 'all-out' on his backhand wing and crushed them back to Nadal's forehand, instead of slicing it back as he regularly does. And once he connected with a few of the crunching backhands, he grew in confidence and started hitting his backhand real hard and flat, taking away time from Nadal to set up his big loopy forehand. 

Federer and Nadal both served very well and Federer didn't give many free points to Nadal by senselessly rushing the net. Nadal also adjusted marvellously once his 'bread and butter' tactic against Federer stopped working and went back to plan B, which is make the old man run around from corner to corner. That, IMO, showed the tactical brilliance of both men, as Federer was exposed to be a step and half slower than before in covering corner to corner rallies, but he also went for the more high-risk shots (down the line running forehand/backhand) to try and break the pattern. 

All in all, not as high quality as their two wimbledon finals, but definitely  the next best match played by these two.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

This defeat is good for Rafa. He's getting back in the groove and making it to the finals will give his self belief a huge boost. La Decima is coming.

With French Open, surely a great form and signs for Rafa.

However, I do feel that Murray, Djoker and especially Wawrinka will come back hard to do better at the next slam.

I think it will be interesting to see how Djokovic does after series of poor result.

After completing his career slam last year, Djokovic's level of play dropped as you can see he probably might have slacked a bit having achieved it. But with Federer winning now, all will be pumped to do well again. Especially Nadal who was as good as Federer but just came a bit short. 

If Roland Garros was tomorrow, Nadal is favorite to win. But next few months will be interesting to follow his results. 

On 1/29/2017 at 6:46 PM, Yoda-esque said:

The courts seemed faster this year.If so, the organizers need to be congratulated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thats a huge adavantage for federer in finals against nadal. Court speed played a key role on that night.

On 1/29/2017 at 7:47 PM, Yoda-esque said:

Cpupld of things i noticed this time with Federer against Nadal..

He didnt net rush

He attacked nadals forehand

He ripped cc backhands like wawrinka with good angles

He was more patient from the baseline

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Federer crunched 8 backhand winners alone in final set if i remember right. His Backhand held reasonably well till final set. I thought it will break down after may be 2 sets but it didn't.

On 1/30/2017 at 4:24 AM, Dil Dil India said:

@bones is losing it, having a meltdown all over the place. Ball bouncer, time waster Novack has been shut out firmly by Federer and he is absolutely in ruins now. Loving it. The cherry on top is that cricket team may have to qualify for the 2019 WC hahahaha.

R u kidding? Federer shut down novak?   If it was Nole in final we all know what would have been the result even before players arrive on court.

Nole was always troubled by Stan in slams but not against Federer.

23 hours ago, kumar713 said:

R u kidding? Federer shut down novak?   If it was Nole in final we all know what would have been the result even before players arrive on court.

Nole was always troubled by Stan in slams but not against Federer.

Err,till Federer got old & had injury problems, he used to dominate Nole in slams....

Federer vs Nole, even today, is on Federer's racket : if Federer serves well, he will win. If he doesn't, Nole will win.