Ranji Trophy 2018-19

Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Puducherry, Sikkim and Uttarakhand were added to the roster due to the Lodha Committee recommendations that mandated representation for each of the states.
NE states will probably have its teams full of rejected players from Bihar, Jharkhand, Delhi, Mumbai etc.
Cricket is non existent there and despite the money promised, everybody is more into football.
And I don't think NE people will be clinging to cricket as a way to integrate with the mainstream India.
Rather football is the way to connect with them

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

There is far too much dissipation of talent in Ranji especially with the increase in number of teams. We should relegate this to tier 2 and tier 1 should consist of 6 teams with squads of 15 each which has the best players available in the country. Need to emulate Shield cricket just like the Saffers did and it worked wonders for them. 

The Elite Group will have Groups A and B with nine teams each, while Group C will have 10 teams. The Plate Group will have all the new entrants: Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Puducherry, Sikkim and Uttarakhand. These teams were added to the roster courtesy to the Lodha Committee recommendations that mandated representation for each of the states.

The BCCI have essentially reverted to the structure adopted for the 2016-17 season which had 28 teams in three groups - and added a fourth group with the new teams.

One team from the Plate Group and two from Group C will qualify for the quarter-finals, with five combined qualifying from Groups A and B. The Plate team that qualifies will be promoted to Group C the next season, with the bottom-placed team in Group C being relegated to the Plate Group. Similarly, the two teams that qualify from Group C will move to Groups A and B, while the teams that finish at the bottom of those two groups will be relegated to Group C.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24129178/nine-new-teams-ranji-trophy-2018-19

On 7/18/2018 at 11:04 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

There is far too much dissipation of talent in Ranji especially with the increase in number of teams. We should relegate this to tier 2 and tier 1 should consist of 6 teams with squads of 15 each which has the best players available in the country. Need to emulate Shield cricket just like the Saffers did and it worked wonders for them. 

new teams will be in plate league.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:43 PM, UrmiSinhaRay said:

NE states will probably have its teams full of rejected players from Bihar, Jharkhand, Delhi, Mumbai etc.
Cricket is non existent there and despite the money promised, everybody is more into football.
And I don't think NE people will be clinging to cricket as a way to integrate with the mainstream India.
Rather football is the way to connect with them

there is no such think like nonexistent cricket.  it is cricket. it can never be nonexistent in any part of this country. Yes, there will be difference in quality but nonexistent is a hyperbolic statement.  here is nagland cricket info

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x374608325cf2508b%3A0x413e1e6841eed53e!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttp%3A%2F%2Fmorungexpress.com%2Fsovima-t20-cricket-gold-cup-begins%2F!5scricket in nagaland - Google Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOmu-62jjYAjXlxBhoNbjeJS8o4nf4-HxjZmv7q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjlwtuv17ncAhXIQI8KHUSgDyUQoiowDnoECAoQCQ

Edited by rkt.india
1 hour ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Tribals there are more into football, hockey and athletics(that is their favourite sport) .

Even Keralites are more into athletics, football and volleyball.Still generates good fast bowlers.My point is that a population with good athletic ability is a good base for fastbowling.

Even Keralites are more into athletics, football and volleyball.Still generates good fast bowlers.My point is that a population with good athletic ability is a good base for fastbowling.

Yes but who is gonna induce the population into cricket?
One of my acquiantances tried to introduce cricket among Tribals in Odisha as part of a welfare project conducted by. The NGO She was attached to and most of the guys didn't progress much because they found cricket boring and hard to grasp.
They preferred athletics and even football because it takes less time to understand and it is easy to master the games once you learned the basics.
Cricket is more about skills and variations.
So kya faida having athletic abilities when it is really hard to tap into the population?

Yes but who is gonna induce the population into cricket?
One of my acquiantances tried to introduce cricket among Tribals in Odisha as part of a welfare project conducted by. The NGO She was attached to and most of the guys didn't progress much because they found cricket boring and hard to grasp.
They preferred athletics and even football because it takes less time to understand and it is easy to master the games once you learned the basics.
Cricket is more about skills and variations.
So kya faida having athletic abilities when it is really hard to tap into the population?

I played soccer in Kerala and I can tell you that it is way more difficult to master  than cricket.

Regarding the tribals finding it difficult, I think it will depend upon the coaches you are under.BCCI for sure have better coaches than your friend's NGO.Orissa has KISS university who have trained tribals to be Rugby players which is both physical and  tactical game.Compared to that cricket is no big deal.

Edited by Cricket_Fan

I played soccer in Kerala and I can tell you that it is way more difficult to master  than cricket.
Regarding the tribals finding it difficult, I think it will depend upon the coaches you are under.BCCI for sure have better coaches than your friend's NGO.Orissa has KISS university who have trained tribals to be Rugby players which is both physical and  tactical game.Compared to that cricket is no big deal.

No I talked about the skills.
Of course, at the bottom/gully level, football is way tougher with dribbling, running with a ball at your feet along with 21 other players behind you for the ball.
It is a goddamn contact sports
But after you master the basics of the football, you are only dependable only on your personal talents and drive to continue.
Basic skills remain the same.
Gully cricket is really easy peasy - bowl a full toss and beat the ball out of the park.
But more one rises through the ranks to professional/competitive cricket, the game becomes more than that.
There are several variations of bowling and the batter has to select various shots to beat the bowler.
It is as much as brain as it brawn.
Every sport is about brains but football is more about common sense while cricket is much more than that.
It is kinda intellectually tiring while in football, you just have to grab the ball from other dudes' feet by hook or crook.
Football is actually more tactically based with huge analytics and managers going around the entire business.
But the(most) players really don't have to do the thinking- the manager who is a more tactically aligned player of the past decides all the **** and tells it to a brainier player with leadership skills affectionately called Captain who tells the strategy to the other players.
However, cricket is more of an individual sport where you have to solve complex algebra and telepathise on opposition bowlers' mind.
Too much mental burden for poor tribal guys who wants to have a bit of entertainment after a day of extreme hard work.
The way BCCI is corrupt , I don't think they offer much High quality coaching.
I have gone to England and New Zealand and I have observed there that the coaches there are way good and serious than the lecherous pot bellied alcoholics that are passed of as coaches here.
They only make you work hard like a donkey - don't necessarily give inputs on your game.
It is more about politics and regionalism than learning a sport.
Wherever players of our country are today is because of handful of good coaches and their individual talents.
The NGO coaches were really dedicated - but the kids couldn't enjoy cricket beyond a certain point because it was too complex and intellectually taxing for them.
Not ridiculing their intelligence because many of them eventually got good marks in boards and are now studying in prestigious Orissa colleges-but they found Cricket difficult to get into beyond a point to be passionate towards it.
In fact, this is happening even nowadays in metros - many of my younger acquitances have switched to other sports because cricket is difficult to get into.

No I talked about the skills.
Of course, at the bottom/gully level, football is way tougher with dribbling, running with a ball at your feet along with 21 other players behind you for the ball.
It is a goddamn contact sports
But after you master the basics of the football, you are only dependable only on your personal talents and drive to continue.
Basic skills remain the same.
Gully cricket is really easy peasy - bowl a full toss and beat the ball out of the park.
But more one rises through the ranks to professional/competitive cricket, the game becomes more than that.
There are several variations of bowling and the batter has to select various shots to beat the bowler.
It is as much as brain as it brawn.
Every sport is about brains but football is more about common sense while cricket is much more than that.
It is kinda intellectually tiring while in football, you just have to grab the ball from other dudes' feet by hook or crook.
Football is actually more tactically based with huge analytics and managers going around the entire business.
But the(most) players really don't have to do the thinking- the manager who is a more tactically aligned player of the past decides all the **** and tells it to a brainier player with leadership skills affectionately called Captain who tells the strategy to the other players.
However, cricket is more of an individual sport where you have to solve complex algebra and telepathise on opposition bowlers' mind.
Too much mental burden for poor tribal guys who wants to have a bit of entertainment after a day of extreme hard work.
The way BCCI is corrupt , I don't think they offer much High quality coaching.
I have gone to England and New Zealand and I have observed there that the coaches there are way good and serious than the lecherous pot bellied alcoholics that are passed of as coaches here.
They only make you work hard like a donkey - don't necessarily give inputs on your game.
It is more about politics and regionalism than learning a sport.
Wherever players of our country are today is because of handful of good coaches and their individual talents.
The NGO coaches were really dedicated - but the kids couldn't enjoy cricket beyond a certain point because it was too complex and intellectually taxing for them.
Not ridiculing their intelligence because many of them eventually got good marks in boards and are now studying in prestigious Orissa colleges-but they found Cricket difficult to get into beyond a point to be passionate towards it.
In fact, this is happening even nowadays in metros - many of my younger acquitances have switched to other sports because cricket is difficult to get into.

"You have to just grab the ball from other guy's foot".LOL, I take it that you have not actually played Football much at higher level.There is plenty of brain included in football too.You have to analyze a player, his movements, his speed  to 'grab' the ball from his feet.Also as a midfielder, you need to think to actually pass your ball to which player according their postion in the game.You need to think about the postion of your striker, his speed, his skills and same about oppostion team's defender.

As an attacker you need to be always aware about The oppurtunities, your postion, your opponent defenders position to score a goal. You need to have vision of all these things to play football at higher level and it is collectively called football intelligence.Google about it you would find more.

Edited by Cricket_Fan