Overloaded scheduling affecting performances?

Nikhil_cric

Apart from a really long IPL, look at the international schedule for our cricketers. On the 11th the test series ends in England and we have Asia cup from the 15th? What's worse we have only another 6 days gap between end of Asia cup and windies tour. This tour goes on till November 11th.  21st November the tour in Australia begins and ends on 18th January. 

How can we expect our players to perform well on hard away tours when some are playing all 3 formats and there is virtually no gap between these series's?  How can someone like a Pandya develop his bowling skills or keep his speeds up?  How are the bowlers supposed to be injury free with this schedule? 

Also we have had zero practice matches in both SA and England and looking at the schedule we can squeeze in maybe just 1 practice match in OZ. 

Can our dismal performances away be explained on the basis of sheer fatigue of the players and the greed by both BCCI and players to make as much money as possible? 

Btw I needn't mention that this has actually been going on for some time. Even after OZ tour, we have ODIs against NZ, another energy sapping IPL and then the World cup for which we need to be prepared .

What solutions do icfers suggest? Discuss. 

9 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

We have had a packed schedule since 2007 before Ipl we used to get 2-3 months break but after Ipl that is not the case.

That schedule is nothing compared to what we have now. Remember we play about the same number of tests and ODIs but now we are playing 3 t20is every tour as well. The gap between each series/ tour is less than a week at times and that is utter nonsense.

This does not apply on Rahane. He is no longer in the scheme of things for ODIs/T20s, so he ought to perform in test cricket otherwise he has no place in the team.

I am confident that he will be dropped by his IPL franchise next year. Downward spiral has started in 2018 and will get worse in 2019. By mid 2020 I expect him to announce retirement. 

Edited by WC2011INDIA
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Bilateral T20Is need to be reduced.

T20s are good for domestic leagues like the IPL ... and World T20s every 4 years.

Separate T20I teams need to be selected too ...  no player should play more than 2 formats in international cricket unless it is the World T20s or its preparatory series.

I also think it would be better if we select our world cup squad in advance and play practice games in the UK and ensure that this lot skips the IPL next year. After a gruelling 50 day IPL , there are only 10 days and the World Cup starts! We cannot afford injured, fatigued players at the World Cup!

1 minute ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I also think it would be better if we select our world cup squad in advance and play practice games in the UK and ensure that this lot skips the IPL next year. After a gruelling 50 day IPL , there are only 10 days and the World Cup starts! We cannot afford injured, fatigued players at the World Cup!

If this lot skips Ipl then it’s loss for franchise owners Bcci as they are draws for the league.

Just now, Adi BB said:

That is why you've got to have a massive pool of players /bench strength and players who are good enough to play for the country especially now that there are so many A tours organised by the board .

In some chindi bilaterals ,Asia cup type of trophies ,we should try our bench strength to keep the main players fit 

If bcci had the brains , they would have rested all our test players from this useless Asia cup and the LOI leg of our home season so that they can play the full OZ tour instead. But they have rested only Kohli. 

41 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

What solutions do icfers suggest? Discuss. 

• Have a guideline on the max number of games that Ind can play in a year
  • Account of IPL workload 
  • Develop a bunch of core players for all formats 
  • Leave a slot open for "no cricket during this period" in a CY
  • Space out the schedule 

• T20 games should largely come from IPL 
  • Test cricket should usually be played vs top 3-4 teams 
  • ODIs should be kept for marque ICC events 

Taking the current Eng tour as an example. Not many would remember what happened in the ODIs and/or T20s. If test series is scheduled on a tour, pick either ODIs or T20s to go along with it 

Because of the work load, the life cycle of cricketers could be reduced so have a plan to groom youngsters. If you have identified 4 core batsmen + 4 core bowlers + 1 WK for a format, the remaining 2 slots can be used to groom youngsters. When these youngsters are ready to take on the challenge, 1-2 of the original core players, who are past their life cycle or not performing, can be replaced by these youngsters and then you bring in 1-2 more youngsters depending up on how the core players and youngsters have performed 

and so on :p: 

PS I usually follow test cricket (mostly in SENA), marque LOI events (mainly ICC events) and IPL (not all games)

Edited by zen

@Zen @ Nikhil

I think ECB/ICC should decide on Which LoI format to keep and then scrap the others.
Already a lot of kids, especially from upper middle /upper classes follow football/basketball more than cricket
Eventually people will stop watching bilaterals and even useless Asia Cup type tourneys and only watch IPL /marquee ICC tourneys.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, zen said:
  • Have a guideline on the max number of games that Ind can play in a year
  • Account of IPL workload 
  • Develop a bunch of core players for all formats 
  • Leave a slot open for "no cricket during this period" in a CY
  • Space out the schedule 

• T20 games should largely come from IPL 
  • Test cricket should usually be played vs top 3-4 teams 
  • ODIs should be kept for marque ICC events 

Taking the current Eng tour as an example. Not many would remember what happened in the ODIs and/or T20s. If test series is scheduled on a tour, pick either ODIs or T20s to go along with it 

Because of the work load, the life cycle of cricketers could be reduced so have a plan to groom youngsters. If you have identified 4 core batsmen + 4 core bowlers + 1 WK for a format, the remaining 2 slots can be used to groom youngsters. When these youngsters are ready to take on the challenge, 1-2 of the original core players, who are past their life cycle or not performing, can be replaced by these youngsters and then you bring in 1-2 more youngsters depending up on how the core players and youngsters have performed 

and so on :p: 

PS I usually follow test cricket (mostly in SENA), marque LOI events (mainly ICC events) and IPL (not all games)

An excellent post. Personally I agree that only ODIs and tests should be part of a tour. T20 should be restricted to leagues and world T20 only. 

Cut down the length of the  Series against minnows  like lanka windies and zimbos, should be as small as 3 t20is 1 odi and 1 testmatch.

Use those as breeding ground for young n upcoming rookies.

Any tour should have maximum of 3odis 2 t20i and 3 teatmatches. 6 odis or 5 testmatches are just too much to digest for viewers and players, also its hazardous of genuine quickies.