The nagin strikes

zen

I've been slowly losing interest in Cricket for past 3-4 years. However, I still find myself peeking at the scores every now and then. Is it just me or has ICC put Cricket at a point of regressive growth? It's not even a top 3 sport in some of the most prolific countries to have played - or example England, Australia, New Zealand and Caribbean. There are some 7-8 teams completing against each other for decades. It becomes boring to watch! Even the world up is capped at like 8 teams over a very short schedule. It's religious for the four subcontinental teams and all of them struggle to dominate for any considerable amount of time. 

On the other hand, I see NBA, Soccer and NFL infiltrating market after market. ICC just doesn't do enough to expand the game. 

I can't understand why some of the controllable aspects of the game are still kept so barbaric. The ground sizes are tremendously inconsistent. The boundaries are not the same on every side, some times the grounds aren't even oval or round. There is no solution to rainy games. At least the richer cricketing nations can afford domes - yes it is possible. These inconsistencies among many more make it very hard to surge interest in other countries. The game seems very barbaric and sometimes laughable for those who show slight interest. Try explaining the game to someone and they will ask you what is the size of the field. To which, you say - there is no standard and it becomes rather comical immediately losing interest. 

14 hours ago, Jersey #10 said:

I've been slowly losing interest in Cricket for past 3-4 years. However, I still find myself peeking at the scores every now and then. Is it just me or has ICC put Cricket at a point of regressive growth? It's not even a top 3 sport in some of the most prolific countries to have played - or example England, Australia, New Zealand and Caribbean. There are some 7-8 teams completing against each other for decades. It becomes boring to watch! Even the world up is capped at like 8 teams over a very short schedule. It's religious for the four subcontinental teams and all of them struggle to dominate for any considerable amount of time. 

On the other hand, I see NBA, Soccer and NFL infiltrating market after market. ICC just doesn't do enough to expand the game. 

I can't understand why some of the controllable aspects of the game are still kept so barbaric. The ground sizes are tremendously inconsistent. The boundaries are not the same on every side, some times the grounds aren't even oval or round. There is no solution to rainy games. At least the richer cricketing nations can afford domes - yes it is possible. These inconsistencies among many more make it very hard to surge interest in other countries. The game seems very barbaric and sometimes laughable for those who show slight interest. Try explaining the game to someone and they will ask you what is the size of the field. To which, you say - there is no standard and it becomes rather comical immediately losing interest. 

What you are saying is correct. Cricket currently is a sub continent game. Gorifying five days of crapfest will lead to nothing but disaster.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

What you are saying is correct. Cricket currently is a sub continent game. Gorifying five days of crapfest will lead to nothing but disaster.

Even in the subcontinent, there is a surging market for other sports with a global outlook. Cricket is a slowly declining and perhaps dying sport mostly because the few contending countries/boards are too busy politicizing and trying to gain ground on each other. Very unfortunately, these people run the ICC with a sole goal to write up new biased monetizing deals to aid their boards. In reality, the cricketing board needs to be run by a business minded group with ways to expand the game. Eventually, successful expansion would bring in funds never imagined before - and that is how you grow! 

Edited by Jersey #10
27 minutes ago, Jersey #10 said:

Even in the subcontinent, there is a surging market for other sports with a global outlook. Cricket is a slowly declining and perhaps dying sport mostly because the few contending countries/boards are too busy politicizing and trying to gain ground on each other. Very unfortunately, these people run the ICC with a sole goal to write up new biased monetizing deals to aid their boards. In reality, the cricketing board needs to be run by a business minded group with ways to expand the game. Eventually, successful expansion would bring in funds never imagined before - and that is how you grow! 

Cricket is sport that will never expand in west. It is run by reired people in the empire and they want to hold on to Victorian days. They have lost it.

5 hours ago, Khota said:

Cricket is sport that will never expand in west. It is run by reired people in the empire and they want to hold on to Victorian days. They have lost it.

I think it can. Western world, especially North America has a huge appetite for sports. They simply don't find cricket entertaining or appealing. It can happen if a right product is marketed - which it is not. It's a dying sport!

In fact - they are killing the sport. It's a shame. It is one of the oldest sports and we still salivate at one chance of being in the Olympics so rest of the world can perhaps see it (maybe). ICC has literally no respect or pull among the authorities planning events like Olympics. What can their pitch be? oh it's very popular in some 3rd world countries like Bangladesh, Srilanka, Pakistan and India? Sad Sad Sad 

5 hours ago, Jersey #10 said:

I think it can. Western world, especially North America has a huge appetite for sports. They simply don't find cricket entertaining or appealing. It can happen if a right product is marketed - which it is not. It's a dying sport!

In North America there is no room for any sport. falls are Football, Winter is BBall and baseball starts in March. throw in hockey, golf and other sport with kids having zero interest hell freezing over has a higher chance then people watching cricket.

10 hours ago, Khota said:

In North America there is no room for any sport. falls are Football, Winter is BBall and baseball starts in March. throw in hockey, golf and other sport with kids having zero interest hell freezing over has a higher chance then people watching cricket.

Also, baseball is (superficially) very similar to cricket. So the market is already somewhat saturated (in ecological terms, the niche is taken), and cricket would have to *replace* baseball, which is too much to ask.

Also, compared to baseball, cricket is wickedly *mental*. Who would want to catch a ball that is slightly heavier than a baseball with bare hands, or face deliveries/pitches where the bowler/pitcher can aim not only for the strike zone, but also your body? Where you have to chose between risk of (sometimes serious) bodily harm and the objectives of your team? Let's face it, cricket is a bona fide martial art masquerading as a genteel recreational activity. Mixed signals are always hard to decode -- so certainly not a good marketing strategy.

Edited by abc
23 minutes ago, abc said:

Also, baseball is (superficially) very similar to cricket. So the market is already somewhat saturated (in ecological terms, the niche is taken), and cricket would have to *replace* baseball, which is too much to ask.

Also, compared to baseball, cricket is wickedly *mental*. Who would want to catch a ball that is slightly heavier than a baseball with bare hands, or face deliveries/pitches where the bowler/pitcher can aim not only for the strike zone, but also your body? Where you have to chose between risk of (sometimes serious) bodily harm and the objectives of your team? Let's face it, cricket is a bona fide martial art masquerading as a genteel recreational activity. Mixed signals are always hard to decode -- so certainly not a good marketing strategy.

You underestimate baseball. I love cricket but baseball is exponentially tougher than cricket. Baseball players use gloves because wkt kpr use gloves . Line drives come to players in excess of 100 mph and I have yet to see any cricket player ever catching ball coming that fast.

48 minutes ago, abc said:

Your understanding of American sports market doesn't line up with reality. There is space for Cricket. Rugby penetrated the market despite Footbal being the king. UFC, Boxing, Wrestling and WWE can all thrive here together. There are at least 24 sports placed at the NCAA (college) level played here - Cricket isn't one of them. Cricket isn't even a recognized intramural sport. 

One needs the right product and marketing strategy. 

Baseball is a very difficult sport to play however to a spectator it seems easy to understand, well organized and marketed. In comparison, cricket is played by borderline unfit subcontinent players - some even malnourished. They don't need to push themselves in the gym because they are at par with the rest in their little shell. You think a Kohli, Jadeja, Rahane, Karthik, Sharma, Dhawan etc can hit a home run in baseball? Forget it. However, I could bet you that a baseball batter can wack a few in cricket - especially over that short boundary (LOL). Its a joke. 

32 minutes ago, putrevus said:

If you are bored over same eight teams in Cricket.How is baseball or basketball intersting, they fricgging play 162 and 81 games in 4 months.

It is a snooze fest in both baseball and basketball till playoffs begin.NBA is worst, playoffs  are so long it takes two months to finish.

You're right. I can't disagree. I could not sit through 9 innings of Baseball on a good day. I do goto baseball games couple of times a year because it's a pretty chill environment for family outings and tickets can be found cheap. I've become a Basketball junkie over time so I watch it through out the year including summer league and offshoot leagues like TBT and 3x3. 

All of that is besides the point. In fact your point furthers my argument that there is space for Cricket in North America and perhaps around the world. 

My concern is over Crickets decline globally. I see a decline in Sri Lanka and West Indies. Other than South Africa, African teams are pretty much off the map now (ie Zim). Hence my first post about regressive growth when we should be expanding - at least after centuries of successful play behind us. 

18 minutes ago, Jersey #10 said:

You're right. I can't disagree. I could not sit through 9 innings of Baseball on a good day. I do goto baseball games couple of times a year because it's a pretty chill environment for family outings and tickets can be found cheap. I've become a Basketball junkie over time so I watch it through out the year including summer league and offshoot leagues like TBT and 3x3. 

All of that is besides the point. In fact your point furthers my argument that there is space for Cricket in North America and perhaps around the world. 

My concern is over Crickets decline globally. I see a decline in Sri Lanka and West Indies. Other than South Africa, African teams are pretty much off the map now (ie Zim). Hence my first post about regressive growth when we should be expanding - at least after centuries of successful play behind us. 

Who cares about North Amercia, cricket does not need North America to survive. Cricket has three formats which cater different demographics.

Corruption is the biggest enemy of cricket.The countries you have described are have officials who are inept and corrupt.Cricket for centuries was run by two boards who had no interest in promoting the game and unlike other sports cricket has to have some infrastructure to play.

Baseball is America's national sport but it is being played professional more by latinos than Amercians.American football is a violent sport where concussions and head injuries are so common that parents are prohibitting their kids to play it. It will become a PPV sport down the line.

Basketball is a sport where normal human being cannot play and succeed unless he has some physical attributes.Every sport has its drawbacks.Cricket will do just fine.

11 hours ago, putrevus said:

Who cares about North Amercia, cricket does not need North America to survive. Cricket has three formats which cater different demographics.

Corruption is the biggest enemy of cricket.The countries you have described are have officials who are inept and corrupt.Cricket for centuries was run by two boards who had no interest in promoting the game and unlike other sports cricket has to have some infrastructure to play.

Baseball is America's national sport but it is being played professional more by latinos than Amercians.American football is a violent sport where concussions and head injuries are so common that parents are prohibitting their kids to play it. It will become a PPV sport down the line.

Basketball is a sport where normal human being cannot play and succeed unless he has some physical attributes.Every sport has its drawbacks.Cricket will do just fine.

Cricket doesn't need North America to survive but to thrive. Baseball will soon become the 4th best sport here - if it hasn't already. Soccer is a spreading like wild fire.