Tendulkar calls for 25-team World Cup. Also ICFers cannot read beyond the title

Sachin Tendulkar has condemned the ICC's decision to reduce the number of teams in the 2019 World Cup as "a backward step" in the global expansion of cricket and described the lack of consistent matches available to Associate sides as "unfair". Tendulkar, an ambassador for the World Cup on behalf of the ICC, told an audience at an exclusive dinner in Sydney that the ICC should instead be exploring ways to expand the next World Cup to as many as 25 teams. He also suggested Full Member nations should regularly play their 'A' sides against Associates and strive to provide a "fair platform" for smaller cricketing countries. "I found out the next World Cup would only be ten teams," said Tendulkar. "Which is slightly disappointing because as a cricketer I want the game to be globalised as much as possible and, according to me, this is a backwards step. "We've got to find ways of encouraging the lesser teams." Tendulkar also contradicted the views of ICC chief executive David Richardson, who defended the planned reduction of teams from 14 to 10, by suggesting, "The World Cup itself, the premium event, without exception should be played between teams that are evenly matched and competitive."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/841887.html

Expecting the 2019 WC format to be changed now to have some more teams. Also, he again suggested a change in ODI format to 4 innings of 25 overs - seeing that ODIs have been getting boring for many years, I think this suggestion should be tested at least in domestic cricket. If it works then maybe they should think about doing it for international cricket because with no new teams coming (making the WC for just 20 teams isn't exactly going to encourage the minnows to get more exited about cricket), its the same old teams playing the same old format over and over.

Did he say 25 or as many as possible ? The article doesn't quote him saying there should be 25 teams. I personally agree with him though. The game needs to be globalised like Fifa has done with Football.
Football have at least 50 good tams available..cricket doesn't even have 10 good teams. Globalization wont work,just improve existing teams performance.What happened to Kenya? Netherlands which were part of earlier world cups.
Did he say 25 or as many as possible ? The article doesn't quote him saying there should be 25 teams. I personally agree with him though. The game needs to be globalised like Fifa has done with Football.
Tendulkar said he believes cricket's global fan base will only grow if the Associates improve to the level where they can be consistently competitive and he believes the first step is to schedule regular matches against second-string sides from the Full Members nations. "Why not get Australia A, England A, New Zealand A, South Africa A, New Zealand A, India A, everyone, to go and visit these countries and play them on a regular basis," Tendulkar said. "And see, not just 14 teams, but how can we get to 25 teams participating in the next World Cup?" "It is not just about the top six or seven sides. If we are to globalise this game we have to get more and more people excited about cricket and the fan following only follows the result.
Obviously his point is to globalize the game to such an extent that a large number of teams are good enough to participate in the WC - 25 is just a number he used in that context. The point is totally valid but "25 teams" are the only words that will be noticed in the whole article now...
Expecting the 2019 WC format to be changed now to have some more teams. Also, he again suggested a change in ODI format to 4 innings of 25 overs - seeing that ODIs have been getting boring for many years, I think this suggestion should be tested at least in domestic cricket. If it works then maybe they should think about doing it for international cricket because with no new teams coming (making the WC for just 20 teams isn't exactly going to encourage the minnows to get more exited about cricket), its the same old teams playing the same old format over and over.
It was tested in domestic cricket by Australia and failed badly.

It would be great if cricket has around 20 good teams but its just a pipe dream. The standards of cricket have fallen pretty badly even in some test nations. Other than Aus, SA, Eng, NZ, India and perhaps SL other teams have just gotten worse and audience interest in these other countries has been dwindling. Most games are pretty boring to watch because the quality is just not there. Sending A teams to associate countries and inviting some of their players to play in domestic cricket in test nations is a good way forward. Still cant see test cricket and ODIs getting too popular around the world. Perhaps T20 may become popular because of its shorter duration.

Again with 4 innings theory, that will not work, what they need to do is simple give spinners a chance to succeed so that 15 -35 does not become snooze fest. 25 teams is pipe dream,they have already made world cup into this long boring event by this ridiculous schedule.They need to play three matches every day.

Sachin is thick and I don't mean it in terms of his physique. Cricket can't and won't ever be globalized because it's too slow and boring. Most of the time the play only involves 2 players and in Tests that is 3 as the keeper gets a lot more activity. China isn't interested in cricket and won't be because they prefer individual sports. The USA is full of retards who prefer their crap sports and lots of timeouts. Most of the rest of the world prefer football because plays involve more players and the game is finished much quicker. Cricket can't and won't expand because it's a **** sport. Heck it's losing fans more quickly than it's making them because they got their priorities all wrong. IPL my ass.

Sachin is thick and I don't mean it in terms of his physique. Cricket can't and won't ever be globalized because it's too slow and boring. Most of the time the play only involves 2 players and in Tests that is 3 as the keeper gets a lot more activity. China isn't interested in cricket and won't be because they prefer individual sports. The USA is full of retards who prefer their crap sports and lots of timeouts. Most of the rest of the world prefer football because plays involve more players and the game is finished much quicker. Cricket can't and won't expand because it's a **** sport. Heck it's losing fans more quickly than it's making them because they got their priorities all wrong. IPL my ass.
So we should just lie down and die. Feck him for being optimist about his game
So we should just lie down and die. Feck him for being optimist about his game
Get the priorities sorted. Test cricket should be promoted to the top not T20 nonsense. Cricket was never designed to be an impatient person's game, it was designed to be an attrional contest settled over 5 days.
Get the priorities sorted. Test cricket should be promoted to the top not T20 nonsense. Cricket was never designed to be an impatient person's game' date=' it was designed to be an attrional contest settled over 5 days.[/quote'] Considering that there are millions of new fans who are for the shorter version, that is some elitist statement