Why did we choose to bowl first on such a flat pitch ?

In hindsight, decision to bowl first might seem a poor one.  But India just didn't take their chances upfront.  fakhar should've been out for 3 or something.  Past record on this ground showed chasing was better and India lost to SL battting first.  Pakistan was also winning games chasing.  India just let them score too many wickets and couldn't take their chances or get wickets.  Spinners were rendered ineffective as well.  Every piece of the puzzle went against India.  Let the opposition score 338 and then lost 3 wickets inside the first 10 overs.

You can say chasing in finals is pressure but you first need to score a big one

Edited by PBN

Kohli made a huge blunder  in deceiding to field first.Why ?? Firstly he should have realised at the least about this oval pitch.Here, a few days

back, both SL & IND piled on huge runs.Yeah SL won chasing, but atleast it was far different from some matches in this tournament were teams batted first  scored only moderate scores & chasing teams easily chased down that.So batting first here was not easy.Even he bowled first, he should have those qlty bowlers who could  contain with in 300.That was not the case.More over it was a  final vs PAK  and he  should have realised that had IND  consumed a huge total it would have been a lot of pressure  this being a final & that too vs PAK  with PAK  bowling in peak form at the moment despite Indian batting being

generally good at chasing. And finally PAK being not so good in pressure games in chasing against IND  ESPECIALLY in finals too need to have been taken into account. Had IND given a tough fight despite losing i  wouldn't have felt like this.  

Edited by rtmohanlal
2 hours ago, goose said:

Well 90% were wrong. Kohli believed the media hype re being prolific chasers and forgot the lessons of 2003. I thought it was a poor decision. 

I agree. i was the first one to say if we are feeling fine about batting, we should bat. People were giving me stats about how we are doing well in chase when it really foesn't count when it comes to these knockout games.