Manjrekar urges Kohli to be more like Imran Khan and take on tougher challenges

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21998054/immy-crowd

I could find no fault with Imran Khan Niazi. He had me even before hello. 

In my first personal encounter with Imran, I was afraid I had infuriated my hero similarly.

Months later, when I was in awe of Imran during that Pakistan tour, I was always reminded of how I had begun on the wrong foot with my hero. I wondered if Imran held that against me still. I wondered if that was the reason he swore at his bowler for letting me take the 200th run easily in Lahore. I wondered if I could ever be on friendly terms with Imran.

While it was sound technical advice, I was just floored that my hero liked my batting enough to follow that tour and be disappointed with my failures. This was a Pakistani following the progress of an Indian and wanting him to do well.

Ramiz Raja once told me that if Imran had been my captain he would have never dropped me and would have ensured that I succeeded at all cost. He was that kind of a leader.

It will forever be my regret that we had no Imran-like senior in our dressing room. 

There were no glares or shrugs of shoulders at misfields, only the choicest abuse, especially from Imran. I would be memorizing the great one-liners to repeat them to my friends once I got back - I'd imagine how thrilled they would be when I told them of how Imran behaved on the field.

I had seen a lot of Pakistan players wear a certain kind of sandal - especially Imran - and I had to buy them.