Pujara /Kohli /Rahane /Rahul - who is best test batsman of India?

Best test batsman of India  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who is best test batsman in India

27 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

I dont think there was any batsmen who was best for every condition , the closest I can think of is Tendulkar who had a near perfect technique for Seam , bounce and swing , while he was very good when it swung . Dravid and Gavaskar would be my close second . Dravid only in swinging conditions was far superior to Tendulkar . All these batsmen have no clear weakness , they dint favour any one side and they where almost equally good both on the front and back foot . 

Virat > KL > Rahane > VJ > Pujara 

Far superior would be stretching it bit too much.

On 8/12/2017 at 0:44 PM, express bowling said:

True.

My worry with Pujara is his front-and-across trigger movement while facing pacers.  It puts his weight on the front foot even before the ball arrives.  It is perhaps one of the reasons why he has done well on the low and slow tracks in Asia and why he has low average outside Asia.

Most Indian batsmen, who have done well outside Asia, have or had either back-and across trigger movements  ( Tendulkar, Rahane, Kohli )  or side and across trigger movement with their back-foot ( Gavaskar,Dravid ).  At the very least, they did not shift their weight on the front foot.

Maybe he will do well despite this, using his dogged determination.... but it makes it more difficult to score against pace and bounce on bouncier tracks.

Pujara scored heavily during the county matches recently. I think he will be much better in England this time around and so will be Kohli. Keep in mind many batsmen modify the trigger movement and balance ever so slightly based on conditions. He was extremely convincing against Steyn, Philander and Morkel on South African pitches in 2013, so don't see any glaring problems against pace/bounce.

8 minutes ago, Samcric said:

Pujara scored heavily during the county matches recently. I think he will be much better in England this time around and so will be Kohli. Keep in mind many batsmen modify the trigger movement and balance ever so slightly based on conditions. He was extremely convincing against Steyn, Philander and Morkel on South African pitches in 2013, so don't see any glaring problems against pace/bounce.

I hope he is able to make the adjustments required this time around.

He does not have a glaring problem against pace bounce  ( apart from the regular hits that he takes on the front of his helmet, but that won't get him out ).  What perhaps happens is that this balance on the front foot makes him more uncomfortable on bouncier pitches when he is not in full flow.

He will do fine if he is in full flow, like SA '13.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I hope he is able to make the adjustments required this time around.

He does not have a glaring problem against pace bounce  ( apart from the regular hits that he takes on the front of his helmet, but that won't get him out ).  What perhaps happens is that this balance on the front foot makes him more uncomfortable on bouncier pitches when he is not in full flow.

He will do fine if he is in full flow, like SA '13.

You are right about that. Not sure if that is a recent thing though - can't remember him being bothered by short-pitched bowling before those two hits from Chris Woakes. Got hit on helmet again in the 3rd test vs SL. Always remember him swaying and ducking easily.

Pujara has to look for scoring opportunities and cant afford to go into shell. If he can do that, he will score lots of runs in all conditions. Otherwise, bowlers will keep targeting you while you are stuck at one end, pressure will build and bound to get out. In sub continent, because he is very good against spin he can get stuck in but will be tough against pace. Even Vijay needs to work on this aspect.

Only batsman from India(havent seen Gavaskar but most likely he also had that ability) who can bat for hours without getting ruffled even if couldnt score anything was Dravid. Its not a joke to bat like that.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:49 AM, Trichromatic said:

There is hardly much doubt that Pujara is best Asian batsman in Asia and Rahane is best Asian batsman outside Asia atm. Kohli is good overall, but has failed consistently in difficult conditons. But overall who is best?

Kohli has done better than Rahane outside Asia.