Reserve / Backup players available for Team India

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Thampi and Siraj

I know Thampi is good, but I haven't seen Siraj.

I meant more that I think we need to rotate whatever bowlers we identify into our international squad. They will need the experience against international class batsmen. 

How has Siraj done in List A  A tours in terms of bowling yorkers? 

24 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I know Thampi is good, but I haven't seen Siraj.

I meant more that I think we need to rotate whatever bowlers we identify into our international squad. They will need the experience against international class batsmen. 

How has Siraj done in List A  A tours in terms of bowling yorkers? 

Siraj bowled quite a few good yorkers in the IPL.

On the A-tour, I saw him bowl mostly in the fist 10 overs.

7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Siraj bowled quite a few good yorkers in the IPL.

Yeah, I didn't watch much of the last IPL expect some of the early season/and then the playoffs, so I don't remember seeing Siraj. 

On the A-tour, I saw him bowl mostly in the fist 10 overs.

Well then hopefully they give him more chances at the death in the future. 

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

We need to find a backup  middle-order batter who can bat outside Asia and handle both off-stump balls and short balls.   Who are the candidates  ?

Rohit is passable for tests in Asia.

I would say back up for Kohli and Rahane in case they are out with injury would be be Iyer, Pant, Panchal, Manish Pandey. If we have Mukund and Vijay both available with Rahul in the squad, then i might bring Vijay to middle order and have Mukund/Rahul open the innings.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:00 AM, express bowling said:

Ravikumar Samarth has done very well in the 2nd " Unofficial Test "  on this A-tour, with scores of 77 and 55 in a low scoring match. He was run out in both the innings of the first match.

If he looks like a proper test batsman then he can be a back-up for our test middle-order even, although he is an opener.

Scores too many 50's I feel, like Rahul. I wonder how domestic titans handle green pitches like Bawne, Vihari, etc. I think Shaw can actually handle it, even though hes way too loose and flashy at the moment. I think it's a matter of learning temperament rather than skill-set.

On 9/26/2017 at 1:50 PM, express bowling said:

We need to find a backup  middle-order batter who can bat outside Asia and handle both off-stump balls and short balls.   Who are the candidates  ?

Rohit is passable for tests in Asia.

Most of the current team have poor avgs outside Asia apart from Rahane and Kohli (barring England).

On 8/16/2017 at 12:45 PM, express bowling said:

This is a list of realistically available options in OP  and not a wishlist.  Players who are being ignored by selectors, I have not counted as realistic backups.  Players whom we don't like but are there have been considered.

TESTS IN ASIA

Openers -

1)  Rahul

2) Vijay

Dhawan

Mukund

Parthiv

Upper-middle order -

3) Pujara

4) Kohli

5) Rahane

Rohit

Nair

Dhawan ( could be used in the middle-order as well )

Keeper 

7) Saha

Parthiv

Spinner-Allrounders -

6) Ashwin

9) Jadeja

Jayant Yadav

Axar

Pacer-All-rounder

8) Hardik

No-backup

Spinners -

Kuldeep

Nadeem

Pacers -

10) Shami

11) Umesh

Bhuvi

Ishant

Bumrah

Shardul

TESTS out-of  ASIA

Openers -

1)  Rahul

2) Vijay

Dhawan

Mukund

Upper-middle order -

3) Pujara

4) Kohli

5) Rahane

Rohit

Nair

Dhawan ( could be used in the middle-order as well )

Not happy with any of these back-ups while touring outside Asia... our A-team cupboard for test batsmen look bare too

Keeper 

7) Saha

Parthiv

Spinner-Allrounders -

6) Ashwin

Jadeja

Jayant Yadav

Pacer-All-rounder

8) Hardik

No-backup

Spinners -

Kuldeep

Pacers -

9) Bhuvi

10) Shami

11) Umesh

Ishant

Bumrah

Shardul

ODIs

Openers -

1)  Rohit

2)  Dhawan

Rahane

Rahul

Upper-middle order -

3) Kohli

4) Rahul

Pandey

Iyer

Karthick

Keeper-batsman

5) Dhoni

Karthick

Pant

High SR batsmen - allrounders / finishers  -

6) Jadhav

7) Hardik

No proper backups

Potentially

Krunal

Shankar

Spinner-Allrounders -

8) Jadeja

Axar

Spinners -

9) Kuldeep

Ashwin

Chahal

Pacers -

10) Bhuvi

11) Bumrah

Shami ( He is a top ODI bowler but it is better to rest him for ODIs and use him for test matches only )

Shardul

Umesh

Potentially

Thampi

Siraj

So, we have no proper reserve players for

1)  Middle-order batters for outside-Asia test matches

2)  Pacer-all-rounder in tests

3)  High SR batters-allrounders/ finishers who will bat at No.6 and No.7 in ODIs.

These issues need to be addressed.  How to do it ?   Your views on this.

For (1), everyone has certain failings but I think they should look to: Iyer, Bawne, Pandey (I think Shaw and Gill will develop over longer time scales)

(2) Shankar is the only viable option, but his bowling in the long format is quite non-existent. A possibility is to make Bhuvi bat higher up the order. I think he has the temperament to do so, esp given that most of our lower order bats (Ashwin, Jaddu, Saha).

(3) Krunal Pandya can score at high SR but his batting is rather ugly compared to Hardik. Nagarkoti is a long-term possibility as is Parang.

Shreyas Iyer, pant and Siraj.. these three should probably debut before 2018 ends..most worried about Dhoni, Pandey , Jadhav group in odis. We cannot afford a repeat of 2015 worldcup semifinal and champions trophy final where we breezed past the group stages to falter at the vip game. We were infact most lucky to play toygers in QF and semis.

6 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Shreyas Iyer, pant and Siraj.. these three should probably debut before 2018 ends..most worried about Dhoni, Pandey , Jadhav group in odis. We cannot afford a repeat of 2015 worldcup semifinal and champions trophy final where we breezed past the group stages to falter at the vip game. We were infact most lucky to play toygers in QF and semis.

Pandey is not that old. And he & Jadhav have never got a settled run in a single position. Dhoni's position is really the problematic one. If they keep pushing Pandya at 4, Dhoni will come at 6 (or even 7) and this is just not possible anymore.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

Pandey is not that old. And he & Jadhav have never got a settled run in a single position. Dhoni's position is really the problematic one. If they keep pushing Pandya at 4, Dhoni will come at 6 (or even 7) and this is just not possible anymore.

Hmm..I was hoping this series would give some answers...it has raised some more question marks though we easily won by 4-1 

3 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Hmm..I was hoping this series would give some answers...it has raised some more question marks though we easily won by 4-1 

It was very silly not to give our frontline batsmen Jadhav and Pandey more opportunities to succeed/fail. VK should have dropped himself down the order, perhaps to 5/6.

51 minutes ago, Vijy said:

For (1), everyone has certain failings but I think they should look to: Iyer, Bawne, Pandey (I think Shaw and Gill will develop over longer time scales)

(2) Shankar is the only viable option, but his bowling in the long format is quite non-existent. A possibility is to make Bhuvi bat higher up the order. I think he has the temperament to do so, esp given that most of our lower order bats (Ashwin, Jaddu, Saha).

(3) Krunal Pandya can score at high SR but his batting is rather ugly compared to Hardik. Nagarkoti is a long-term possibility as is Parang.

If you taking longer time scales:- 

for point (2)  above  -  Consider Kamalesh Nagarkoti & Shivam mavi

For (3) -   W Sundar

3 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

If you taking longer time scales:- 

for point (2)  above  -  Consider Kamalesh Nagarkoti & Shivam mavi

For (3) -   W Sundar

Agreed. However, Mavi seems to be more of a bowler who bats a bit... even if he did do well in U-19 tests.

So, we have no proper reserve players for

1)  Middle-order batters for outside-Asia test matches

2)  Pacer-all-rounder in tests

3)  High SR batters-allrounders/ finishers who will bat at No.6 and No.7 in ODIs.

Keeping these in mind, we need to see which players are putting their hands up in this Ranji season.

Although Prashant Chopra is an opener, can he play pace and seam  ?   .... as he has succeeded in Dharamsala 

Can he bat in the middle order  ?

Vijay Shankar, batting-allrounder-seamer ,  in this year's twin A-series so far

Recent matches
Bat & Bowl Team Opposition Ground Match Date Scorecard
61, 0/31 India A v NZ A Visakhapatnam 13 Oct 2017 LA
1/18, 47* India A v NZ A Visakhapatnam 11 Oct 2017 LA
0/30, 12 India A v NZ A Visakhapatnam 10 Oct 2017 LA
0/35, 26* India A v SA A Pretoria 12 Aug 2017 FC
0/18, 72 India A v SA A Pretoria 8 Aug 2017 LA
0/32, 0 India A v SA A Pretoria 3 Aug 2017 LA
18*, 2/21 India A v Afghan A Pretoria 1 Aug 2017 LA
3/24 India A v Afghan A Pretoria 28 Jul 2017 LA

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/477021.html

ListA

Scores of   

Did not bat

18* (8), 

0  (3),   

72  (86),   Final vs SA-A

12  (23),   

47* (42) ,   

61  (33)

6 wickets from 7 List A matches

FC

26*

0 wickets from 1 innings

Very consistent with the bat ..... can hit 6s and bat at high SR when needed ..... decent bowler

Edited by express bowling