What would be your All time Asia ODI XI

17 hours ago, Lannister said:

I've always liked to have 6 bowlers, mostly because how weak our bowlers have been, constantly giving away 300+ scores and unable to defend huge scores. I am just going on a reputa0tion here as I have never seen them bowl. 

Sangakkara is more suited to bat at 4 than Dhoni. ;

If you replaced Afridi with MSD youd have a perfect team :)

41 minutes ago, Sooda said:

I feel The game has moved on too much since the era of Abbas and Miandad, even if they were technically better and more skilful, the kind of power and SR's that batsmen these days bat at means there are too many better options

They played the game acc to their era , the biggest strength of any top player is adaptability and they wud have adapted themselves in this era to had they played now 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

1) Jayasurya

2) Sachin

3) Kohli

4) Dhawan

5) Rohit  

6) Mathews

7) Dhoni (C)

8) Kapil  

9) Afridi

10) Waqar

11) Malinga

I tried to make a modern style Asian XI. 

This lineup gives batting down to #9 and 7 different bowling options, all of which are potent wicket takers in the format. 

I chose Malinga and Waqar as the pacers, over other possible pacers, because the most important overs in modern ODIs in terms of run rate are the death overs, where the average run rate is over 9.  Malinga and Waqar are probably the best possible death bowlers. 

The batting lineup is heavy with Indian players, including arguably having Dhawan and Rohit out of position, but 5 of the top 6 batting averages in ODI cricket are Indians 

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending BF SR 100 50 0  
V Kohli (INDIA) 2008-2017 195 187 32 8587 183 55.40 9366 91.68 30 44 12 investigate this query
MS Dhoni (INDIA) 2004-2017 299 257 73 9563 183* 51.97 10852 88.12 9 66 8 investigate this query
SR Tendulkar (INDIA) 1989-2012 463 452 41 18426 200* 44.83 21367 86.23 49 96 20 investigate this query
S Dhawan (INDIA) 2010-2017 90 89 4 3779 137 44.45 4083 92.55 11 21 2 investigate this query
Misbah-ul-Haq (PAK) 2002-2015 162 149 31 5122 96* 43.40 6945 73.75 0 42 6 investigate this query
RG Sharma (INDIA) 2007-2017 164 158 25 5765 264 43.34 6782 85.00 13 32

Dhawan has worked hard and increased his range of shots and boundary hitting ability, so he can fit at 4 now IMO. Rohit already has experience in the middle order and has unique boundary hitting ability, so he can bat at 5. 

Jayasurya opens with Sachin. Sachin can bat through and score sensible boundaries. Jayasurya can go hard from ball 1, especially with modern power play field restrictions in the first 10 overs. The funny thing is, both openers are also handy spinners.

Kohli is the backbone of the lineup of course.

Dhoni can be captain and wicketkeeper as he is good at using a multitude of bowling options. 3 different spin options and 4 different pace options should let Dhoni get creative. 

Sachin

X

Virat

Sangakkara

Zaheer Abbas

Dhoni

Jayasuria

Wasim

Waqar

Saqlain

Murali

Jayasuria is playing out of position but I think that in current times he would be able to get going quite fast.

The only position I can't decide is the opener: Rohit post-2013 has incredible numbers but they came in extremely batting-friendly conditions. Anwar and Ganguly both played in the 1990s and 2000s and racked up very good records. Sehwag, Dhawan and Jayasuria were fast scorers. In the end, I think I would go with Sehwag as my choice.

I cannot believe very few (no one?) mentioned Saqlain given his ODI excellence. Team will have 4 genuine bowlers with Jayasuria, Tendu and Sehwag serving as the 5th bowler.

Edited by Vijy
1 minute ago, ShebbySB said:

Sachin Bat/Spin

Jaysuriya Bat/Spin

Kohli Bat

Inzamam Bat

Sangakkara Bat/Wk

Dhoni Bat/Wk (C)

Imran Bat/Seam

Kapil Bat/Seam

Wasim Seam/Bat

Waqar Seam

Murli Spin

Beat this team.....

I was thinking regd inzy but cudnt imagine him running around dhoni n kohli and then his fielding 

No yuvraj?????

10 minutes ago, ShebbySB said:

Sachin Bat/Spin

Jaysuriya Bat/Spin

Kohli Bat

Inzamam Bat

Sangakkara Bat/Wk

Dhoni Bat/Wk (C)

Imran Bat/Seam

Kapil Bat/Seam

Wasim Seam/Bat

Waqar Seam

Murli Spin

Beat this team.....

Imran and Kapil were both fairly ordinary in ODIs as bowlers, esp the former. In bowling friendly era where Lillee/Hadlee/Garner/Roberts had avg of <21, they did quite ordinarily. Kapil was an explosive ODI bat, but inconsistent.

Similarly, Jaya was more of a minnow basher since I recall very few innings by him against SA, Aus, etc in their home pitches. Hence, although I would have him in the team, I don't think he's qualified enough to be the opener.

Edited by Vijy
1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Imran and Kapil were both fairly ordinary in ODIs as bowlers, esp the former. In bowling friendly era where Lillee/Hadlee/Garner/Roberts had avg of <21, they did quite ordinarily. Kapil was an explosive ODI bat, but inconsistent.

Similarly, Jaya was more of a minnow basher since I recall very few innings by him against SA, Aus, etc in their home pitches. Hence, although I would have him in the team, I don't think he's qualified enough to be the opener.

Sanath,Imran and Kapil are picked as impact players.All of them can bat and bowl.All are explosive with the willow and more than decent with the ball.Specially Kapil and Imran.