Virat Kohli v AB de Villiers - who is better ODI batsman?

Who is better ODI batsman?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better ODI batsman?

• Virat Kohli
    • AB de Villiers

I think it was also the pre match bluster about being aggressive. McGrath and Tait finished the aggression in 10 overs. The ball before he go out, Kallis had done the same thing and I remember thinking what the feck has gotten into him to be making room and stepping out against McGrath - 90% of the time McGrath is going to win against such misplaced adventure. :giggle:
Quite true - they were under pressure with the "Chokers" tag and decided they would "hit out" against it in glory. Well, they fell on their back side. The headline on Cricinfo mid innings for South Africa said it all - "Australia blow away nervous SA top order" (or something like that). However, I must add though that a lot of times there is a ill formed prejudice in mentioning the word "choke" to their collapses. It's almost as if every time they lose(even if the opposition play a magnificent game) they are called chokers which I feel is unfair. But well, stereotypes take precedence there.

There's a subtle difference between choke and panic. 2011 was clear panic and 2003 was over confidence rather than choke. FYI in 2003 there was a message sent from the SA dressing room to Boucher before that last ball of Muralitharan that they required 1 more run to win but the umpire (I guess it was Venkatraghavan) shooed the messenger away. 1996 was indeed sheer stupidity to drop Donald in the best year of his bowling. A lot has been said about 1992 and SA being unlucky but do people remember that SA bowled so slow that they deprived England 5 overs of their bowling. In the end; they paid the price for it. 2007 was a clear case of choking ; none of the others were.

'99, '07, and '11 were all chokes. Their reputation doesn't come solely from World Cups but from other matches as well like the CT semifinal in '02 or the WT20 match against India in '07 when forget about winning the match they could not even get to the target required to go to the next round. It's a well earned reputation - to not win a single knockout match across WC, WT20, and CT is more than simply coincidence.

'99, '07, and '11 were all chokes. Their reputation doesn't come solely from World Cups but from other matches as well like the CT semifinal in '02 or the WT20 match against India in '07 when forget about winning the match they could not even get to the target required to go to the next round. It's a well earned reputation - to not win a single knockout match across WC, WT20, and CT is more than simply coincidence.
No one argues with their reputation of chokers. The argument is what falls under the umbrella - currently it seems the moment they lose; it's a choke. I feel that is grossly unfair and more a stereotype. CT 2002 SF/WC 2007 SF were clearly chokes - it would be hard to argue against it.
Not winning a single knock out match is only part of their choking. There's another interesting part of their choking that most people don't even notice IMO In 3 world tournaments played in their home conditions ( 2003 wc , 2007 T20 wc and 2009 CT) they never qualified for knock - out stage.
Not winning a single knock out match is only part of their choking. There's another interesting part of their choking that most people don't even notice IMO In 3 world tournaments played in their home conditions ( 2003 wc , 2007 T20 wc and 2009 CT) they never qualified for knock - out stage.
What? :haha: Have they never won a knockout match in WC's or CT, never knew that lol.

its not easy to throw away negative energy. many members conveniently forget that the indian team struggled to win outside asia for around 2 decades. atleast two tests in zim , one test in england and one test in nz, they could not finish off a good position. also klusener and cullinan earned a draw in the Johannesburg test. Partly lack of self beflief is to blame. partly not enough ammunition surrounding srinath is to blame. it didn't prove easy throwing off that negative tag. also there was a run of several final losses in ODI. the ability of the SA team to bring out their best is certainly a question mark.more because they are already in a negative mindset for a long time.its not going to be easy shaking them off. I don't think they underperformed in 1999 or 1996. its easy to forget that the SA batsmen were not that great and no match for the aus lineup.only cullinan,kirsten and kallis had test averages over 40. however being hounded as chokers. can easily throw you in to a negative slope. since then, they are clueless how best to shake off that tag they also had plenty of utility players like elsworthy who can help solve the 5th bowler problem but compromised match winning ability. they have been making such mistakes till date. in 2009, they had a good run till SF. it took no more than the fragile technique of afridi to expose how soft their support bowling was. in 2011, two ODI losses to india showed me a huge hole in the middle order and botha was comin at no 7. that was a soft underbelly. they made no attempt to change it. when it burst in the kiwi encounter, It was hardly surprising.,it was a question of when, Partly while their self belief in big situations is under question , they can do well atleast to address the cricketing part of their problem atleast. Rely on matchwinners first and foremost. 'A look at 'their last few ODI scorecards tells me they are as clueless as ever,. woolmer has truly done long term damage to them and pak cricket because he believes in those who can give options. but it compromises winning matches.

its not easy to throw away negative energy. many members conveniently forget that the indian team struggled to win outside asia for around 2 decades. atleast two tests in zim , one test in england and one test in nz, they could not finish off a good position. also klusener and cullinan earned a draw in the Johannesburg test. Partly lack of self beflief is to blame. partly not enough ammunition surrounding srinath is to blame. it didn't prove easy throwing off that negative tag. also there was a run of several final losses in ODI. the ability of the SA team to bring out their best is certainly a question mark.more because they are already in a negative mindset for a long time.its not going to be easy shaking them off. I don't think they underperformed in 1999 or 1996. its easy to forget that the SA batsmen were not that great and no match for the aus lineup.only cullinan,kirsten and kallis had test averages over 40. however being hounded as chokers. can easily throw you in to a negative slope. since then, they are clueless how best to shake off that tag they also had plenty of utility players like elsworthy who can help solve the 5th bowler problem but compromised match winning ability. they have been making such mistakes till date. in 2009, they had a good run till SF. it took no more than the fragile technique of afridi to expose how soft their support bowling was. in 2011, two ODI losses to india showed me a huge hole in the middle order and botha was comin at no 7. that was a soft underbelly. they made no attempt to change it. when it burst in the kiwi encounter, It was hardly surprising.,it was a question of when, Partly while their self belief in big situations is under question , they can do well atleast to address the cricketing part of their problem atleast. Rely on matchwinners first and foremost. 'A look at 'their last few ODI scorecards tells me they are as clueless as ever,. woolmer has truly done long term damage to them and pak cricket because he believes in those who can give options. but it compromises winning matches.
got ya,you mean Amla right?:blink:

When you talk about ODI I dont understand why people bring up flat pitches . Any where you play its the same . it was in SA where 434 was chased remember . Also , specifically with regards to ODI what matters more is how and when you score your runs rather than where . Virat wins matches and does it in style , I have never seen one batsmen whos has all these attributes ..Like he can accumulate runs the way Tendulkar did , Chase big totals like Dhoni and can improvosie like AB . This is a no contest for me .

Devillers vs. kohl ...I saw Devillers + Kohli display this summer ' date='may'2013 in IPL during DD vs. rCB game at kotl a ..DD controlled rCB batting till the 15th over after getting gayle cheaply and then with both the dynamites Devillers and kohl at crease , they went berserk and plundered 80-85 runs in last 5 overs ..[/quote'] how can a team with Gayle,AB and Kholi not win more games ? ..... Vinay Koomar? Legund