First 101 innings - 33 sixes, next 87 innings - 175 sixes

Just now, Nikola said:

Good stat but sixes don't matter alot in end. Maybe yes in t20s and to some extent in odis. But yeah thing to appreciate about him is he is able to avg 60 with such risky batting and hitting sixes every now & then.

His sixes are mega sixes usually.  His acceleration is very much needed since we don't have that many reliable late order accelerators now. 

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

His sixes are mega sixes usually.  His acceleration is very much needed since we don't have that many reliable late order accelerators now. 

Agree it's needed specially when we need to score big (330-350+) and even kohli don't have gears like him so other than him we don't have someone who can score quickly at any stage of cricket. KL Rahul can be tried but idk if he will do good at #4 in odis.

39 minutes ago, SUMO said:

Before his 32nd bday and entering WC2019, his stats may read like

200 inn 8500 runs, avg ~50, strike rate 90 25 100s. Thats insane even if you ignore initial 6 years failure.

12 games(ODI) to go (Aus - 3; NZ -5 and again Aus - 5) . bit of a reach but sure lets see.

46 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Some people were laughing when I said Rohit Sharma is all ready better than any Indian opener bar Sachin and is on his way of becoming ATG opener. What he and Kohli are doing look easy but it is not easy to have those numbers.

No he is not .don't get fooled by this era of flat tracks ,small boundaries,2 new ball ,low quality bowlers .ambrose,walsh,mcgrath,bracken,vaas,akram,Donald,pollock,bond type of bowlers will eat rohit for breakfast ,lunch and dinner.rohit is poor against left arm pacers and he is lucky to not have faced much of them in his career.

Rohit is a great in this era but he will clearly struggle in even a bit of difficult condition and against good attack as he clearly showed in saf. 

And you will be the first one here to jump on his failures when he will in such conditions 

2 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

No he is not .don't get fooled by this era of flat tracks ,small boundaries,2 new ball ,low quality bowlers .ambrose,walsh,mcgrath,bracken,vaas,akram,Donald,pollock,bond type of bowlers will eat rohit for breakfast ,lunch and dinner.rohit is poor against left arm pacers and he is lucky to not have faced much of them in his career.

Rohit is a great in this era but he will clearly struggle in even a bit of difficult condition and against good attack as he clearly showed in saf. 

And you will be the first one here to jump on his failures when he will in such conditions 

I don't think so he is very good in odis and he will do well against any bowler in any era. What are you talking he scored a hundred in SAF in last series. 

He will struggle against swing but which opener in history did not struggle against swing, Adam Gilchrist, Sanath Jayasurya, or you name any opener other than Sachin.He is better than all those people.

Yes he took a long time to get his bearing right but once he became an opener he has become a beast and I don't think he is afraid of pace and bounce.

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't think so he is very good in odis and he will do well against any bowler in any era. What are you talking he scored a hundred in SAF in last series. 

He will struggle against swing but which opener in history did not struggle against swing, Adam Gilchrist, Sanath Jayasurya, or you name any opener other than Sachin.He is better than all those people.

Yes he took a long time to get his bearing right but once he became an opener he has become a beast and I don't think he is afraid of pace and bounce.

He is very good against pace and bounce no denying but he just doesn't have the technique or foot movement to counter against seam movement or seam (same for many batsmen).He is better than gilchrist and jayasurya but even they are not ATG as pure odi batsmen (they were ATG total package )

he is a great odi player in this era but not an ATG for me ,just my opinion .

7 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

He is very good against pace and bounce no denying but he just doesn't have the technique or foot movement to counter against seam movement or seam (same for many batsmen).He is better than gilchrist and jayasurya but even they are not ATG as pure odi batsmen (they were ATG total package )

Did Jayasurya or Gilichrist have any techniques.They did very well against all those bowlers you mentioned, don't overrate bowlers of other generations. If they bowled in this era their figures would have been different too. Rohit is one of best odi openers ever to have played this game. I am not taking about his test batting don't mix both of them. 

I don't see any other odi opener who has his ability to play big innings and who has his ability to change gears. 

16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Did Jayasurya or Gilichrist have any techniques.They did very well against all those bowlers you mentioned, don't overrate bowlers of other generations. If they bowled in this era their figures would have been different too. Rohit is one of best odi openers ever to have played this game. I am not taking about his test batting don't mix both of them. 

I don't see any other odi opener who has his ability to play big innings and who has his ability to change gears. 

No they didn't do well against those bowlers ,it's your wrong perceptions ,check their records against those bowlers .

Let's agree to disagree ,for me rohit is not an ATG in odis 

8 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

No they didn't do well against those bowlers ,it's your wrong perceptions ,check their records against those bowlers .

Let's agree to disagree ,for me rohit is not an ATG in odis 

Search youtube videos on what Wasim and Waqar have said about Jayasurya. They don't have average high or score every match against those bowlers to be called great. If that is the case we can analyse even one of the greatest batsmen like Sachin and find loopholes.

Other than those two I don't see anyone else who can be called great odi openers from 1990s to 2000s.

1 hour ago, Adi BB said:

Lol at people hyping old era batsman as they had great technique against swing and were able to play any bowler. See their stats against same bowler you mentioned in other post and they will have pathetic avg against them. Even sachin's avg against ATG bowler isn't great so stop calling him ATG batsman? Also if current era batsman are getting easy pitches then same apply to kohli who has creamed many soft runs in limited over cricket so stop calling him limited over ATG as well?

If Kohli is an ATG then Rohit is not far behind in ODIs, he has improved his consistency a lot. He has over taken Dhawan a country mile.He is the best opener among current players and I don't see any other opener in history other than Sachin coming close to what this guy has already achieved. 

50 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Search youtube videos on what Wasim and Waqar have said about Jayasurya. They don't have average high or score every match against those bowlers to be called great. If that is the case we can analyse even one of the greatest batsmen like Sachin and find loopholes.

Other than those two I don't see anyone else who can be called great odi openers from 1990s to 2000s.

Jayasurya's dismissal in odis.

image.png.9dfdc675b9ef4df25dcbd70bc5344670.png

Edited by Nikola