Where does Bollywood rank (quality wise) among Indian Film Industries (Telugu, Marathi etc)

surajmal

On 12/20/2017 at 11:47 PM, Mariyam said:

Poor attempt of hinting at a communal bias in an industry where it doesn't really exist.

FYI, Khwaja refers to Moinuddin Chisti aka Khwaja Garib Nawaz; a sufi saint revered mainly by Muslims of the sub-continent. And by many non Muslims too. What are these 'other cultures' that you talk about?

There is no communal bias there...it is just an attempt to expand market...

“Mera piya ghar aaya oh ramji” will have a limited reach compared  to

“Mera piya ghar aaya oh re

maula, aaj gaao sufiyaana aur khao Afghani Jalebi”

Now That If you add an addictive tune and a nasally equipped Pakistani singer will become popular in India,Pak,Afghanistan,Middle east etc. 

As I said it is not a communal thing it is just stupid marketing which stifles creativity.

Edited by maniac

@maniac

"Mera piya ghar aaya" is originally a Punjabi folk song about the return of a spiritual guru of Baba Bulleh Shah. Its a part of many Qawwalis.

"Mera piya ghar aaya oh Ramji" is the Bollywoodized corruption of the same song to bring it closer to mainstream India.

Are you sure this is the example you had in mind?

I do not buy your point re: adding maula/Allah/sufiyaana into a song would increase its popularity in the Middle East/Pakistan etc. This is pure conjecture on your part. I would guess that a simple song like "yeh dosti hum nahi todenge" would be a lot more popular in the places mentioned above than say "Allah ke bande" or "Maula mere maula".

On 12/24/2017 at 6:58 PM, coffee_rules said:

My point was not a hindu-muslim angle into that scene. Writers of that era were free to make heroes detest God , won't enter temples, angry with god, proud to be a Nastik, all were considered cool. While, muslim chars were the opposite, god fearing pious humans who come in between the hero and the bullet to die. Very rare in mainstream movies where muslim chars could do any different. The same ABSr in coolie couldnt be portrayed as Nastik, but is a pious man with a pet eagle named Allah Rakha. Regular hindu seeming hero heroines singing lines with allah, subhanallah, etc. This muslim appeasement to win muslim audience..I am not sure it was a policy of inclusion or a socioCommie view of denying Hindu religion. Rant over.

Fair enough, but to give credence to this line of thinking we should take into account the number of times the lead actor plays a Muslim character on screen. Only then that comparison is valid.

Also what is the difference between a Muslim and any other Indian anyways? Just a matter of faith. So if not to highlight faith, why would a character even be portrayed as a Muslim? I'm thinking from the pov of a film maker. If the story doesn't call for it, why include a Muslim character in the first place?

Do you really have such a low opinion of the Muslim film going audience( or Muslims in general, for that matter)? Do you think they are 'won over' by people singing Subhanallah etc? Also nobody can deny your religion by what is portrayed in a movie. Me thinks you are reading way too much into this.

I haven't come across anyone who liked a movie because of this alleged appeasement that you mention. If anything, Muslim characters are grossly under represented in Bollywood. 

Eitherways, HNY, and stay blessed. :icflove:

Edited by Mariyam

Don't know about other languages, but Kollywood has reached a stage where a large number of movies are not profitable. Producers and theater owners back only big names, as they think they are bankable and will rake in the money. This is also the reason for formulaic crap commercial movies. Because of this, creative and small budget movies take a backseat. However, there is a Vikram vedha or meyaadha maan like movie which do extremely well because of good storyline/crisp direction.

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Fair enough, but to give credence to this line of thinking we should take into account the number of times the lead actor plays a Muslim character on screen. Only then that comparison is valid.

Also what is the difference between a Muslim and any other Indian anyways? Just a matter of faith. So if not to highlight faith, why would a character even be portrayed as a Muslim? I'm thinking from the pov of a film maker. If the story doesn't call for it, why include a Muslim character in the first place?

Do you really have such a low opinion of the Muslim film going audience( or Muslims in general, for that matter)? Do you think they are 'won over' by people singing Subhanallah etc? Also nobody can deny your religion by what is portrayed in a movie. Me thinks you are reading way too much into this.

I haven't come across anyone who liked a movie because of this alleged appeasement that you mention. If anything, Muslim characters are grossly under represented in Bollywood. 

Eitherways, HNY, and stay blessed. :icflove:

Why can't you have a character named nasrullah and make him do regular mundane stuff that a muslim would do? I don't  expect a muslim would utter every other sentence with 'allah' embed in it.

You might be an urban elite,  but the appeasement that I speak about matters to poor urban muslims for sure. I have seen a lot women flick to movies in black attire.  

The denial of religion of the majority in movies doesn't  impact it at all. I was refering to the influence of pinkos that they have influence in education, history etc (Irfan Habib types) that affects young minds in universities and colleges.

On 12/23/2017 at 11:32 AM, maniac said:

Kannada movies knock off sub standard Telugu,Hindi and Tamil movies With substandard actors and substandard technicians...that says something. Mallu Films well I think Mohanlal and Mammootty are top class actors but when someone says Malayalam films my first thought is not so kosher if you know what I mean :giggle:

sadly agree,the last kannada movie i watched was Rangitaranga few years ago  but it was brilliant for a kannada movie.