Why don't teams reverse the batting order on greentops?

Gollum

For or against?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should teams explore the option of tweaking the batting order on green tops if inserted in by the opponent?

• Yes, in rarest of rare cases
    • Absolutely not, batsmen's job
    • Terrible thread, ban OP

This may not work in England and south Africa where the ball tends to swing on all days in favorable pitches. But this could be an excellent strategy where the pitch has juice just for the first session and becomes a belter later on. Let the 7 to 11 handle it for 15 overs and we should be good.

4 hours ago, Vk1 said:

This may not work in England and south Africa where the ball tends to swing on all days in favorable pitches. But this could be an excellent strategy where the pitch has juice just for the first session and becomes a belter later on. Let the 7 to 11 handle it for 15 overs and we should be good.

Why not in SA? Traditionally lower order has been successfult in SA, so it may work.

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

Already posted the same in this thread:

1. Bhuvi

2. Ishant

3. Che

4. Karthik

5. Ashwin

6. Kohli (best batsman)

7. Pandya (up the ante)

8. Rahul/Dhawan (up the ante, impending new ball)

9. Vijay (2nd new ball by this time but bowlers more tired and pitch easier)

10. Rahane

11. Shami

This actually might turn out to be good idea if it after being to put to bat.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

This actually might turn out to be good idea if it after being to put to bat.

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

Already posted the same in this thread:

1. Bhuvi

2. Ishant

3. Che

4. Karthik

5. Ashwin

6. Kohli (best batsman)

7. Pandya (up the ante)

8. Rahul/Dhawan (up the ante, impending new ball)

9. Vijay (2nd new ball by this time but bowlers more tired and pitch easier)

10. Rahane

11. Shami

The problem is the same...Rahane and Shami come in at 10 and 11. Shami gets out, Rahane must go. Of course the hope is that Rahane would have a partner from someone above him.

But still...i prefer at our regular batsmen be given as many batting partners as possible. That means coming up the order.

Not limited to India, even Aussies could try this in SA if they encounter a pitch where most probably they will be 55/6 in the 1st session. Aussies too aren't that great when dealing with movement. So may be a slight change in their batting order can work wonders.

1. Renshaw/Bancroft

2. Hazlewood

3. Paine

4. Lyon

5. Starc

6. Smith (he'll bat at no 5 and Starc will be pushed to no 10 in case the top 4 has done its job)

7. Warner

8. Khawaja

9. Shaun Marsh

10. Mitchell Marsh

11. Cummins

Smith is a monster but wouldn't want to expose him too early, his wicket is simply too valuable. Opener Warner will most probably perish early but if he walks in after 35 overs he will find it much easier. Same with Khawaja who can't play seam/swing if his life depended on it but a very good FTB. 

Edited by Gollum
18 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Have you played cricket , captained and used this tactic?

I actually have -- played cricket that is. Several club matches I played in did have role reversals of this sort. Of course club pitches at our level are a much higher level of difficulty to bat on, where even de Villiers would look clueless. Scores around 120 (50 overs) can be challenging depending on conditions. In those cases, you really do want your best batsmen to have a chance of facing their less capable (or tiring) bowlers.

Forget greentop, unless it is a patta in Lord's I say tweak the batting order. With the current bunch of no-hopers we have in top 6, might as well shield them from the early spells and hope they click against the older ball. Not a complete reversal but slot in some tailenders lower order :p: batsmen at the top. 

Next test play this order

Ishant

Pujara

Kuldeep

Karthik

Kohli

Pandya

Rahane

Rahul

Pant (wk)

Ashwin

Shami

No place for Vijay-Dhawan in my XI....in case they are chosen don't expose them against new ball, especially Dhawan. 

Edited by Gollum
14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Forget greentop, unless it is a patta in Lord's I say tweak the batting order. With the current bunch of no-hopers we have in top 6, might as well shield them from the early spells and hope they click against the older ball. Not a complete reversal but slot in some tailenders lower order :p: batsmen at the top. 

Next test play this order

Ishant

Pujara

Kuldeep

Karthik

Kohli

Pandya

Rahane

Rahul

Pant (wk)

Ashwin

Shami

No place for Vijay-Dhawan in my XI....in case they are chosen don't expose them against new ball, especially Dhawan. 

i also like the idea of different line up but you are taking it just too far.  i would only bat Kohli, Rahul, Rahane at 5-6 and promote DK and Ashwin at 3 and 4. Viijay and Pujara being the opener.

Just now, rkt.india said:

i also like the idea of different line up but you are taking it just too far.  i would only bat Kohli, Rahul, Rahane at 5-6 and promote DK and Ashwin at 3 and 4. Viijay and Pujara being the opener.

Ashwin isn't leaving enough balls, he jabs at almost all deliveries outside off these days. On a good day he may get a rapid 40-45 but on most occasions he will fall for small cameos lasting <20 deliveries....what's the use of 3 stylish cover drive boundaries if he isn't going to last for 15 minutes? Frankly I am sick of his batting these days, so much potential yet such an underachiever. Ishant is an ideal candidate to play many deliveries against quicks with his long stride and defensive mindset...decent technique as well plus he scored some runs in county recently. Wish Bhuvi were here, he would have been an ideal opener/no 3 to shield these morons we accommodate who are clearly unfit to do their jobs.