Has anyone here tried being a football fan, yet never found it interesting?

MechEng

9 hours ago, Turning_track said:

Not a passionate fan of any FC. But if time permits I try to catch a game of EPL or La Liga. But I'm quite aware about Euro and Fifa WC, which teams have qualified & which haven't.

My cousin is a crazy Gunner fan & I usually pull his leg on Wenger. He hopelessly defends him.

In India you find a lot of plastic fans of these FCs who know jack about football, but claim to be expert lol. 

I have personally witnessed brawls at my hostel in India few years ago. I also remember a friend of mine got so depressed after Arsenal lost 8-2 to ManU that he did not show up for classes for nearly a week, putting his coursework in trouble.

I don't understand the intense passion for a team, maybe they love the game a lot but apart from that I don't see an intimate connection an Indian fan would have with the history of English clubs.

35 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I have personally witnessed brawls at my hostel in India few years ago. I also remember a friend of mine got so depressed after Arsenal lost 8-2 to ManU that he did not show up for classes for nearly a week, putting his coursework in trouble.

I don't understand the intense passion for a team, maybe they love the game a lot but apart from that I don't see an intimate connection an Indian fan would have with the history of English clubs.

Barring RCB vs CSK match in the IPL where I have seen some fight in Bangalore, everyone seems calm while watching cricket.

But if it is Manchester derby, Barca vs RM or matches involving London based clubs, some loud fans do tend to create a scene. That too in some posh bars & clubs. Seems to me that want to show off how cool they are while supporting a European based club.
There is no connection at all but still this proximity of some of these crazy fans with their clubs looks awkward.

Put my name on that list. I have tried so many times infact recently went down for U17 wc and ISL but seriously its such a boring sport. Whats strange is i still enjoy a game of hockey not sure what happens when it comes to football. 

Edited by jf1gp_1

On 11/03/2018 at 3:34 AM, Vilander said:

amazing man which clubs did you used to support...i guess by now you pronounce their names correctly..do you have family living in those places..outstanding.

Grow up, you’re attempt at humour is pathetic to say the least.

Soccer as a potential career or a sport is still picked up at any level  in India by people in the low income group...you go to macchimaar nagar or other such slum/low income areas you will see some incredible soccer players but these are not the types who will discuss league transfers or buy jerseys or act as posers...these are legit soccer fans....nothing elitist about this...it is the truth.

However when I see the posers who  talk about soccer,buy these jerseys and act like they are all cool and different because they are fans of  a non traditional sport my bp raises...fk these low life posers...I am not singling out the types that love every sport be it formula1 or tennis or basketball or soccer but the posers who love soccer leagues just for the fking heck of it....down with these posers...fk them and fk them hard

rant over

6 hours ago, Vilander said:

:laugh: you got mad come on man..we are all so impressed that you watch epl and know the player names and coach names etc.. Damn..

I’m born and raised in England, still impressed? it’s far bigger here than cricket will ever be and is in your face on a daily basis. Maybe you have some complex about football fans in India. God forbid they watch anything other than cricket.

1 hour ago, Ranvir said:

I’m born and raised in England, still impressed? it’s far bigger here than cricket will ever be and is in your face on a daily basis. Maybe you have some complex about football fans in India. God forbid they watch anything other than cricket.

ok do your friends call you Appu when you try to tag along with them to a saturday night game:phehe:..

alrite chill...i get it you are legit Englishman..like the pick below.. maybe not that related to the queen but still close..so exempt you can watch EPL.

58b.png

7 hours ago, maniac said:

Soccer as a potential career or a sport is still picked up at any level  in India by people in the low income group...you go to macchimaar nagar or other such slum/low income areas you will see some incredible soccer players but these are not the types who will discuss league transfers or buy jerseys or act as posers...these are legit soccer fans....nothing elitist about this...it is the truth.

However when I see the posers who  talk about soccer,buy these jerseys and act like they are all cool and different because they are fans of  a non traditional sport my bp raises...fk these low life posers...I am not singling out the types that love every sport be it formula1 or tennis or basketball or soccer but the posers who love soccer leagues just for the fking heck of it....down with these posers...fk them and fk them hard

rant over

An interesting answer from a British Indian guy in quora:

"

British born Liverpool fan of Indian heritage here, so hopefully I can see both sides of this fairly. To give some background, my grandfather came to Liverpool from Punjab (via Kolkata) in the 1950's. Having a father who was born and raised in Liverpool and being born on Merseyside myself, I feel a natural affinity to Liverpool FC, the team my grandfather, uncles, cousins, father etc. all support. For us, it's a family/ local pride thing. Our support is unwavering and we prefer to see local lads like Carragher, Gerrard and Fowler playing in red than anyone else as they are our people.

I'd say that most local fans have a deep-rooted tribalism attached to their club. Clubs are originally representations of people from a certain city or district, not a global brand as they are now.

It's this, "brandisation" of football that many local fans object to. Clubs no longer reflect the local community (remember most clubs are in traditionally poor/deprived, working class areas) and have become too expensive, prohibitive and unwelcoming to the very people that helped raise their profile in the first place. With the prices of tickets rising due to demand, the clubs no longer being beacons for the local community and players no longer reflecting the city it is not surprising that local fans feel real and understandable resentment.

Asian and, in fact, any foreign fans have replaced the British middle-class as the reason local fans feel priced out of their own clubs. In the early 90's when the Premier League began, English football was in a bad place- it was still a commoners sport with a bad reputation. After the Premier League started to attract more affluent people (for the first time really) local fans started feeling the price hikes and hated what Roy Keane helped name "the prawn sandwich brigade" (prawns being an expensive food compared to the traditional football food of a working class pie). Middle class fans gave more money to clubs, spent more on merchandise- shirts, kits etc.

As demand rose, so did the cost (not just at the stadium but on TV too, football used to be free to watch and games where not dictated by BSkyB, the Murdoch owned TV company that has the main broadcasting rights to Premier League games) this price rise to simply watch your local team has become prohibitive to many.

The foreign fan is now the new target as they are who some blame for the rise of cost to follow your team. To add to the resentment, foreign fans tend to just support teams that are doing well, they have no understanding of the history of the club or city the club is from. They are considered "glory hunters" a derogatory term for a fan that just supports a winning team. Foreign fans don't care if a local, poor Scouser can't see Liverpool play live, especially not richer ones who go to games themselves. Not do foreign fans really care if a Scouse lad makes the Liverpool first team, why would they? 

Foreign fans that attend games tend also to sit in silence, not add as much to the atmosphere and treat it as a day out- to be entertained, not as a privilege or for community spirit which is how local fans feel. Neither is right or wrong.

The money that foreign fans bring in is exactly what people hate, it's easy to see why local people hate the amount of money in football nowadays. Especially when most players earn more in a week than most of the local fans will earn in a year and that is in part due to the new fan base. In the past a footballer would be an extension of the local fan, one of our own, now they aren't, they live in their own world. So, it's easy to put all that resentment at an easy target- foreign fans.

I personally don't get why say and Indian person spends more trying to watch Man Utd and buying Man Utd merchandise than financially supporting their local team and invest their time/money there and help local lads make it as professional players. India and China for example have terrible football teams yet a big appetite for the game or maybe they like the idea of the game and not the sport itself?

As you can see, this is a complex situation and there is no simple "one answer" though I welcome any fan who is respectful and understanding of the club and city. I would also say please support your local clubs too, they will give chances to the kids in your area, they help the community and ultimately will help your country produce better players too."

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

ok do your friends call you Appu when you try to tag along with them to a saturday night game:phehe:..

alrite chill...i get it you are legit Englishman..like the pick below.. maybe not that related to the queen but still close..so exempt you can watch EPL.

58b.png

Seriously let it go, you’re just embarrassing yourself. Apu? I think you have a distorted image of Indians in the UK or self esteem issues. Probably both.

Edited by Ranvir

6 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Seriously let it go, you’re just embarrassing yourself. Apu? I think you have a distorted image of Indians in the UK or self esteem issues. Probably both.

ahh hehe ok, jee all this to look legit watching EPL...wow man. Ok

1 hour ago, Ranvir said:

It’s part and parcel of uk life. Now go and sing vande matram in the corner and carry on watching a colonial sport.

what ever dude...you are the one that is posting in the said colonial sports fan site..did your pom buddies shove you out of football forums..lolz :aetsch:

wait dont answer that its rhetorical..i dont give a ****. :biggrin:

Edited by Vilander

8 hours ago, MechEng said:

I'd say that most local fans have a deep-rooted tribalism attached to their club. Clubs are originally representations of people from a certain city or district, not a global brand as they are now.

celtic vs rangers..liverpool vs manu there is history of deep sectarianism ( catholic vs protestant) in football in the UK..thats the reason i find Indian fans of EPL funny..in a very wannabe way..but guess with the new influx of money and unknowing Asian fans..probably working class brits are priced out of the game now..so the duds now remember names and claim fandom..lolz

4 hours ago, Vilander said:

what ever dude...you are the one that is posting in the said colonial sports fan site..did your pom buddies shove you out of football forums..lolz :aetsch:

wait dont answer that its rhetorical..i dont give a ****. :biggrin:

Just let people enjoy whatever sport they want to, who are you to judge? You have a distorted image of Indians in the UK. That they are somehow bullied and made fun off by the native Brits. This is 2018 not 1970. Live in the now.

You find it funny that Indians watch football because the original fans of an EPL club belonged to the same area as the football stadium in which their team plays. Well why not take it another step further? Originally mostly all of the players for a club were from the same area as the club they played for but now you’d be lucky to find 1 player who fits that criteria. Again things have moved on but you are still stuck in the past.