Ashwin - Top scorer in both the innings !!!

velu

19 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

But how do you think an offie can do well with duke in damp conditions Role of spinners was at best support role. Both spinners were ineffective there.

So why was ashwin being played then if it was known from the beginning of the match that conditions wouldn't suite him and he'd  fail 

1 minute ago, Adi BB said:

So why was ashwin being played then if it was known from the beginning of the match that conditions wouldn't suite him and he'd  fail 

Ashwin has done better than expected and even this test with no help from the pitch he was creating plenty of chances .So he is least of our worries right now.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

but seamers did not bowl in the same conditions as Anderson.

I don't think there was a dramatic shift in weather condition. I bet Anderson would have done well. We are talking about Ishant sharma, pandya who cannot exploit the conditions even if you have millions of clouds. No disrespect to Shami. Shami is not the traditional swing bowler we are talking about. It is more the style bowling rather than conditions. Someone like Deepak chahar would have been more effective. That is where we are. We don't have reasonably complete bowlers. Broad is an accurate seam bowler. Woakes can be a handful as well. They did not even have Stokes.

3 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

They played 2 spinners. Could have played just Ashwin. Besides Ashwin was the highest wicket-taker in the last match. A match where England hardly used a spinner. What if suddenly Lords start offering some turn and you don't have a spinner. If you are going to kick Ashwin out for not taking wickets you should kick the entire batting line up bar Kohli for not scoring runs. He was the only one who scored runs. 

9 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

It is good to have one spinner in the line-up. Ashwin was brought in too late.By then the players were settled. A spinner always thrives in overseas conditions when the fast bowlers have created some pressure. Ashwin didn't bowl that great though.

Look at Rashid. He played the game but hardly bowled because the seamers did their job. I think he was used perfectly even in the 1st test.

Kohli should have taken a bold decision and played with 4 out and out seamers just like he did in joburg (they read that pitch well vefore the toss ,not this one ) but I can understand why ashwin was played ,he had a great impact in the last game and solidified his position for the rest of the series and also we dont have better reserves in pace bowling department .if we had bhuvi and bumrah ,pretty sure he would have at least played the extra seamer instead of kuly 

4 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

Kohli should have taken a bold decision and played with 4 out and out seamers just like he did in joburg (they read that pitch well vefore the toss ,not this one ) but I can understand why ashwin was played ,he had a great impact in the last game and solidified his position for the rest of the series and also we dont have better reserves in pace bowling department .if we had bhuvi and bumrah ,pretty sure he would have at least played the extra seamer instead of kuly 

Ishant as an opening bowler is such a travesty. We don't have bankable seamers anyway. Not like Bumrah/Bhuvi are bankable. We mostly depend on one guy clicking in an innings and others chipping in. There is no one bowler that consistently threaten a team in a series. Having said that they have done a commendable job over the last few years.

He has said more than once that he likes bowling with the fresh hard ball. Outside India the guy relies on bounce as much as spin. So Kohli brings him on when the ball is almost 40 overs old!

I'm not saying that he would have picked up wickets, but need to question how much trust the captain has in his bowler. Ashwin needs to be India's first change, left handed batsman or not. The guy even got the better of Root the previous test, 15th over.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

I don't think there was a dramatic shift in weather condition. I bet Anderson would have done well. We are talking about Ishant sharma, pandya who cannot exploit the conditions even if you have millions of clouds. No disrespect to Shami. Shami is not the traditional swing bowler we are talking about. It is more the style bowling rather than conditions. Someone like Deepak chahar would have been more effective. That is where we are. We don't have reasonably complete bowlers. Broad is an accurate seam bowler. Woakes can be a handful as well. They did not even have Stokes.

Ishant had just picked 5-fer in overcast conditions in the previous games.  So, it i snot like he cant use the conditions. it is England where weather dictates the game.  First day with rain and overcast, I dont think any bating side could have survived.  Second day, it was sunny and pitch dried out, perfect batting conditions and even then England were 130/5.  We were not lagging far behind. What we lacked was an extra seamer while we had packed the side with two spinners. Ishant also had an off day. Shami and Pandya both bowled well but we needed more bowlers to step up.  Pandya moved the ball both ways and he had that perfect outswingers seam position but ball did not do anywhere close to what it did on the first day.  First day, movement was just crazy, Anderson was bowling Warne's leg breaks at 80-85 mph.