Why is SRK a global star?

Stradlater

6 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

No, just recently started watching Stargate Atlantis and its not often a guy gets cast simply because he is that good looking.

He ain't a bad actor either .

His beastly portrayal of Khal Drogo is still afresh in people's minds.

Just now, Muloghonto said:

So you cant tell if Brad Pitt at age 30 is better looking than Om Puri ?

Or you can't tell if Justin Trudeau is better looking than Donald Trump or not ?

I call straight-up BS on that.

I just found out in this thread that SRK is not good looking despite having such  a huge fandom.  I always find it strange when others are able to tell if someone is good looking or not of the same sex.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Not a Bollywood expert so just wagering a guess. May be he actively tried to connect with a global audience during his peak years. He may have held many world tours, meet ups, fan interaction sessions, open overseas shoots etc back then when other big Bollywood stars were content with making it big in India alone. Who can blame them? Afterall Bollywood has a huge following in India (and NRI diaspora), a huge Hindi speaking population with limited avenues of quality entertainment/sports outlets....stars didn't (and probably still don't) need to extend their presence overseas because of poor ROI. This is where SRK is different. If I could narrow down to 1 sentence it is probably a combination of SRK's PR team, his astute business awareness and ambition/vision (whatever you wanna call it). 

Now you see Aamir making it big in China, ofc 3 Idiots gave him a push but he is now consciously working towards leaving a mark in China. Also helps that China is more open to outsiders now, had peak Big B tried he wouldn't have been able to breakthrough there in the 70s/80s. BTW Raj Kapoor is very popular in Russia, Central Asia and Eastern Europe ....a product of his times when Eastern Bloc worked hard to shun Western media influence. I remember reading about a chess tournament in Tbilisi (Georgia) a few years back where in the opening ceremony hit songs of Raj Kapoor were being belted out. There was an Indian sports journalist (the legendary Vijay Kumar for those who followed DD Sports in the late 90s) on duty and everyone including Georgian politicians, businessmen, grandmasters, elderly, children came and talked to him about Raj Kapoor and the Kapoor family the whole time. I doubt any other Bollywood star will match that level of craze including SRK. 

Speaking of influence of bollywood in former USSR countries, Google about popularity of Mithun's movie Disco Dancer and particularly the song "Jimmy Jimmy" there.

They seem to be enamoured by it.

6 minutes ago, PBN said:

I just found out in this thread that SRK is not good looking despite having such  a huge fandom.  I always find it strange when others are able to tell if someone is good looking or not of the same sex.

I never found him good looking.

I'm far better in looks and yet can't seem to find me a decent chick.

9 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Speaking of influence of bollywood in former USSR countries, Google about popularity of Mithun's movie Disco Dancer and particularly the song "Jimmy Jimmy" there.

They seem to be enamoured by it.

yeah russia has huge bollywood following.  watched an irani travel series and a lot of the folks love bollywood and the songs like ramiya vastavaiya, amitabh, raj kapoor,etc

Edited by PBN

6 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

I never found him good looking.

I'm far better in looks and yet can't seem to find me a decent chick.

that's intriguing..better looking than SRK and having trouble finding decent chick.  if you're spending all your  time on ICF, how will you find a chick. :bumsmack:

6 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

You have a valid point there.

unless you're like raj from big bang theory and completely unable to talk to girls, it is strange.  srk's strong point seems to be his personality. copy marlo uski

Edited by PBN

27 minutes ago, PBN said:

So answer my question- you cannot tell if Donald Trump is better looking or Hrithik Roshan ?

If you say yes, i call BS on that. 

You don't have to be sexually attracted to anyone to find if they are better looking or not than another one.

I find baby goats are way better looking than angler fish. doesn't mean i wanna have sex with either.

9 minutes ago, PBN said:

unless you're like raj from big bang theory and completely unable to talk to girls, it is strange.  srk's strong point seems to be his personality. copy marlo uski

You don't really even have to look at Shah Rukh. Look at Jay-Z. Looks like an average bozo with a lazy lip. Married to one of THE hottest and most powerful woman on this planet (Beyonce) and she is madly in love with him - to the point where he cheats on her and she still forgave him for it and they are together.
Personality. Which means be interesting, charming, laid back confidence and ability to make people smile and laugh.

7 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

So answer my question- you cannot tell if Donald Trump is better looking or Hrithik Roshan ?

If you say yes, i call BS on that. 

You don't have to be sexually attracted to anyone to find if they are better looking or not than another one.

I find baby goats are way better looking than angler fish. doesn't mean i wanna have sex with either.

dude, you start arguing on any random tangential point for no reason.....  how many times do I have to repeat the same thing. 

Edited by PBN
edit

6 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

You don't really even have to look at Shah Rukh. Look at Jay-Z. Looks like an average bozo with a lazy lip. Married to one of THE hottest and most powerful woman on this planet (Beyonce) and she is madly in love with him - to the point where he cheats on her and she still forgave him for it and they are together.
Personality. Which means be interesting, charming, laid back confidence and ability to make people smile and laugh.

there could be actually a lot of factors  in the above case but similar career fields and the understanding which comes with it i.e you can relate to each other could be one major factor. i'll ignore the cheating part as that's a whole different topic.. imo, women in general are a lot more forgiving than men in such cases.  in general, looks might give you that initial advantage but personality woos them over.

Edited by PBN

SRK has a overall great personality but he is/was not handsome or very good looking even in his younger days.He wasn't ugly either then. As long as you are not ugly, you can always have the chance to impress the best looking girls with any or all of the following :

1)success

2)money

3)personality

4)sense of humour

11 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

i don't believe you can't tell that someone like Leonardo DiCaprio is better looking than Prince Charles. You have some weird hangups if you keep saying that to yourself.

ok man if you don't wan't to believe, don't believe if that makes you happy. move on. 

Yes, the HR at my work is helping in 'weird hangups' by forcing us to attend therapy to deliberately suppress and rewire my paracingulate and ventromedial prefrontal cortex in order to judge all guys equally and not to be partial /s  :hysterical:

i'm not going to waste any more of my time convincing you otherwise over such a minor matter.

Edited by PBN

On 8/26/2018 at 11:04 AM, Stradlater said:

You would be surprised to know about Global popularity of SRK esp in middle East and north african muslim nations.

The people you mentioned mostly play second fiddle in the hollywood and hardly have a fan base.

SRK otoh is widely popular and perhaps one of the best known Indian stars in West. Nobody cares about Priyanka 'I love everything white' Chopra or Anupam Kher.

WTF.  :D  Are you this upset about her "marrying out".   Old ladies would have slim pickings in India you know that right.