James Anderson averages 26.87. Glenn McGrath averaged 21.

lamellavig

1 minute ago, lamellavig said:

Well said. McGrath was a level above peak Anderson. Peak McGrath was three levels ahead of peak Anderson. 

Yes, Anderson averages 24 for his 400 wickets - that too by taking close to 250 in England.

McGrath at peak took close to 400 wickets at avg of 19-20 with good performances all over the world.

15 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Yes, Anderson averages 24 for his 400 wickets - that too by taking close to 250 in England.

McGrath at peak took close to 400 wickets at avg of 19-20 with good performances all over the world.

I am treally surprised at the way people are pooh poohing Anderson's achievement.

Anderson had to bowl allmost all the best batsmen in world. He did not started the same. But from 2008 onwards he started turning it around. And good bit is, He has kept it same.

To put it in simple terms, Anderson is greatest New ball bowlers I have seen. that includes the period starting Gtreat Marshall.

For stats, he may beat Great Kumble in number of Test Wickets

9 hours ago, lamellavig said:

that the fact that he did this with a deficiency in pace.

i would not call he was lacking pace. 130-138 is good pace for a guy of his height and his freakish accuracy and control ->  gilly and others tell of his picture perfect setups based on discussions prior to the over ! like ball to ball where it lands what happens and when and where the catch goes

McGrath may be the best pace bowler of all time. What he did with his nagging line and length and bounce because of his height was remarkable. And unlike Anderson he has succeeded in all conditions against all opponents!!

The two bowlers that I rate consistently over the others are Malcolm Marshall and Glenn McGrath.

Take that dukes ball away from him and Clouderson's record wouldnt have been as impressive even in England. McGrath is the greatest fast bowler to ever hold a ball. At his absolute peak(1995-2005) he took nearly 450 wickets at a shade under 19 or something ridiculous like that. That is better than the career stats if even Steyn,Marshall,Ambrose  etc. Thatalso includes wickets at a low average in Asia and a high percentage of top order wickets.