Wickets per match - 5.74

Next 22 matches,

95 wickets

Avg 28.58

5-fers - 2

10-fers - 0

SR - 63.7

Wickets per match - 4.3

Ashwin has not got 5-fer for 14 matches now, his earlier longest streak was 8 matches (during previous overseas cycle).

This year he has takes 38 wickets at avg of 25.36 and SR of 60.9.

On 10/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, sandeep said:

And he's gotten better at controlling his instinct to try too many things now.  He really needs to put in some extra time and work on his fitness.  Its hard to combat a chronic injury, you have to work twice as hard as a regular guy, just to ward off that problem from flaring up again.  And bowling is so much hard work.  

If he manages to put together a full year or 2 without any injury interruptions, you could easily see him get back to taking 5-fers for fun.  

he once again was trying to be too funky, instead of just being simple in execution. For a bowler who has that many wickets, he looks too innocuous during 4th innings, irrespective of pitch. You can see right from that harmless performances in Joburg in 2013 to yesterday's effort.

I am not sure even Jaddu can do that also, thats why I think Ind should move on to Kuldeep for overseas matches pretty soon. 

14 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

i dont rate Ashiwn's batting much as an all rounder however he is still way better than Lyon the batsman.

but Lyon outbatted him this test and he has been averaging 20 for last 22 tests while Lyon has really surprised me with improvement in his batting.  Ashwin to me has become complacent with regards to his batting. 

It is one thing to be unlucky despite bowling well but bowling innocuous deliveries on the same that opponents like Lyon and even part timer Moeen's deliveries look most threatening is inexcusable. Ashwin needs to learn to simply execute what works best on a given pitch. Based on current evidence, it looks like he will never learn.

9 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

but Lyon outbatted him this test and he has been averaging 20 for last 22 tests while Lyon has really surprised me with improvement in his batting.  Ashwin to me has become complacent with regards to his batting. 

i dont think you can extrapolate on basis of one test match. Ashwin surely have better skills as a batsman than a tailender like Lyon

35 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

i dont think you can extrapolate on basis of one test match. Ashwin surely have better skills as a batsman than a tailender like Lyon

its not just one test match. Ashwin is averaging 20 over the last 22 test matches.  Regarding Lyon, he did not look a tailender at all.  He has improved his batting a lot.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

its not just one test match. Ashwin is averaging 20 over the last 22 test matches.  Regarding Lyon, he did not look a tailender at all.  He has improved his batting a lot.

havent seen quality from Lyon to say he is a improved batsman. he is batting at no.10 for a reason.