Legends of Prithvi Sahw-legend in making.

mishra

2 hours ago, SrinjayDutta said:

We should comment after a complete SENA trip and a WC. The hype here is a bit too much..

Yes. Not too long ago another debutante who was very well known in his teenage years scored a big century on debut against the Aussies. But that was at home. He has been a flop in SENA and now is no longer a part of the test squad. I will wait until the Australia series before jumping on the Prithvi Shaw bandwagon. 

The only bandwagon we should always jump into is the team india bandwagon. Unfortunately, the best possible squad is not always picked and lately, some absolute stupid selections have been made. The best thing i liked about about prithvi is his natural instinct for shot making and trying to add up runs.hopefully his mind equally strong when chips are down.

1 hour ago, SrinjayDutta said:

My favourite cricket country has always been Aus. It has always been such source of interesting enthralling matches. The last decade though has been such a dampener. We just could not shift gears from whatever that was done in Sourav's era. This is still our best chance but I am not too much optimistic after 8-9 years of bad memories.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So true. Just the Colosseum like grand stadiums (MCG, Gabba) make the perfect place to watch cricket. Grown up in the 1990s watching the Australian tri-series every Jan-Feb (in Chilling winter mornings)... Ah the memories!

For me, winning a test series in Australia would be a bigger achievement than winning another World Cup (we already have 3).

Edited by Tridibans_16
2 hours ago, Tridibans_16 said:
So true. Just the Colosseum like grand stadiums (MCG, Gabba) make the perfect place to watch cricket. Grown up in the 1990s watching the Australian tri-series every Jan-Feb (in Chilling winter mornings)... Ah the memories!

For me, winning a test series in Australia would be a bigger achievement than winning another World Cup (we already have 3).

It is very difficult because of the contrast in style. Ind love to play attritonal cricket, scoreboard pressure where as much of the Aussie approach is straightforward aggresive shots and blasting batters with pace and bounce. Indians in general can never extract the same venom from those pitches. 2004 and 2008( almost) we managed because of such high quality batting performances. Don't know who is going to score heavily these time and hope kohli does not pick up off form.

Getting up early at winter for those extraordinary matches was childhood treasures. My first series was 2003-04. Their crowd ( semi racist but proud, probably same here, one should know the horrible slangs we throw out at Eden gardens), huge green outfields, beautiful stands and unmatchable aggression, Indian resolve. It was brilliant.

Edited by SrinjayDutta
Autocorrect
Yes. Not too long ago another debutante who was very well known in his teenage years scored a big century on debut against the Aussies. But that was at home. He has been a flop in SENA and now is no longer a part of the test squad. I will wait until the Australia series before jumping on the Prithvi Shaw bandwagon. 
Who?

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SrinjayDutta said:

It is very difficult because of the contrast in style. Ind love to play attritonal cricket, scoreboard pressure where as much of the Aussie approach is straightforward aggresive shots and blasting batters with pace and bounce. Indians in general can never extract the same venom from those pitches. 2004 and 2008( almost) we managed because of such high quality batting performances. Don't know who is going to score heavily these time and hope kohli does not pick up off form.

Getting up early at winter for those extraordinary matches was childhood treasures. My first series was 2003-04. Their crowd ( semi racist but proud, probably same here, one should know the horrible slangs we throw out at Eden gardens), huge green outfields, beautiful stands and unwatchable aggression, Indian resolve. It was brilliant.

Top post :hatsoff:

3 hours ago, SrinjayDutta said:

It is very difficult because of the contrast in style. Ind love to play attritonal cricket, scoreboard pressure where as much of the Aussie approach is straightforward aggresive shots and blasting batters with pace and bounce. Indians in general can never extract the same venom from those pitches.

The difference in playing styles has narrowed down over decades.

The current Aussie batsmen (  without Smith and Warner )  are not that good at straightforward aggressive shots.  They either get out trying those shots or are more defensive in their playing style.

And the current Indian batting line-up will include batters like Shaw and  Pant who are natural strokeplayers even in tests ... and Kohli who loves putting the opposition bowlers under pressure. Pandya too will play strokes if he manages to survive.

Same with our pace bowling.  This is the quickest and bounciest bunch of pacers I have seen from India as a group.  They will extract a lot of life out of Aussie pitches for sure.

Edited by express bowling

The difference in playing styles has narrowed down over decades.

The current Aussie batsmen (  without Smith and Warner )  are not that good at straightforward aggressive shots.  They either get out trying those shots or are more defensive in their playing style.

And the current Indian batting line-up will include batters like Shaw and  Pant who are natural strokeplayers even in tests ... and Kohli who loves putting the opposition bowlers under pressure.

Same with our pace bowling.  This is the quickest and bounciest bunch of pacers I have seen from India as a group.  They will extract a lot of life out of Aussie pitches for sure.
All well and good. I agree with all your points. But it is a bit like world cup football penalties and eng. Unless we see one good example, cannot get that confidence that we can repeat this. This Indian bowling line up can do it but will the batting click? What if we lose the toss on a flat adilaede pitch etc. Let's see.still best chance for india in a long time.

3 minutes ago, SrinjayDutta said:

All well and good. I agree with all your points. But it is a bit like world cup football penalties and eng. Unless we see one good example, cannot get that confidence that we can repeat this. This Indian bowling line up can do it but will the batting click? What if we lose the toss on a flat adilaede pitch etc. Let's see.still best chance for india in a long time.

We can lose if we bat badly.

But it will be due to inefficiency and / or lack of sufficient preparation rather than a playing style which is vastly different to the Aussies.

Yes, that is a sign of a good team, to replicate the environment they are playing in. Our approach in England was similar to the home team. Swing, seam, slip catching and good back foot play, leave etc. Almost did it. Would be good if we can replicate the Aussie way. Previous Indian team did not have that flexibility.

10 hours ago, nevada said:

There is a big difference when one debuts at 18 compared to 27. Shaw May have a poor series but he has time to learn.

1 hour ago, Vk1 said:

Kohli saying that Shaw is highly matured and talented for his age and that he plays attacking shots but rarely nicks them.. all good signs of a great career ahead. Finally a hope for another batting superstar in this team after Kohli. A tag that  none of Rahul's, ChePus, Rahane's , Rohit's could achieve. 

Indian team badly needs another all-condition and consistent batsman.

Can't depend on only Kohli on tough tours.   

Even in ODIs, another all format successful batsman would raise viewer interest.

2 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

There is a big difference when one debuts at 18 compared to 27. Shaw May have a poor series but he has time to learn.

Going by the same logic - an 18 year old can lose his way but a 27 year old is mature and knows his game well by that age. Even Rohit Sharma has 2 centuries in his first two tests against WI at home. Bottom line is, runs scored at home are not at all a good predictor of a player's career graph. 

2 hours ago, nevada said:

. Even Rohit Sharma has 2 centuries in his first two tests against WI at home. Bottom line is, runs scored at home are not at all a good predictor of a player's career graph. 

Your point about runs at home is a very valid one.

But when a batsman does well in most conditions,  the main features we see are ...  decisive footwork, both on the front foot and backfoot against pacers and ...  playing the ball under his eyes. Having a good temperament is obviously essential.

We have seen this with Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Kohli.  And in this series, it was visible in Shaw.

Both Rohit and Dhawan have defective and often indecisive footwork against pacers and are often seen playing away from the body.  I dont know why such batters are picked for test matches in the first place.

KL Rahul has developed an issue with his front foot movement against pacers. He is not coming forward decisively, his foot is pointing in the wrong direction and he is often playing across the line.  Hence he is failing in pacer-friendly conditions or against quick bowlers.

Shaw may or may not do well in Australia.  Batting for the first time on fast and bouncy wickets against tall quick bowlers is not easy.  But if he keeps his batting basics unchanged ... and keeps batting with decisive footwork and plays the ball under his eyes ...  we can hope that he will do well in all conditions in the medium and long run.

Right kinds of  batsmen have to be picked for the right formats ... especially test matches.  And this has not happened always.  IMHO Shaw is a step in the right direction.

Edited by express bowling
3 hours ago, nevada said:

Going by the same logic - an 18 year old can lose his way but a 27 year old is mature and knows his game well by that age. Even Rohit Sharma has 2 centuries in his first two tests against WI at home. Bottom line is, runs scored at home are not at all a good predictor of a player's career graph. 

An 18yr old irrespective of opposition getting a century on debut is impressive.